Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
He shouldn't have to worry about that. He'll always have his education to fall back on.

Yea he probably will. I'm sure he gets a much better education working with a private Sylvan tutor than he would in a public school.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Just some comments.

Rosenthal just came out with a column basically asking, "who is running the White Sox show?" something that fans have been asking for the last few years.

In it his says there is friction between Hahn and Williams and wonders why the policy wasn't presented by Hahn or Ventura. He also says those two disagreed with Kenny.

Obviously this is just another bit of evidence of a somewhat dysfunctional front office...maybe more than we think.

Obviously JR should be the one to step in but apparently it doesn't bother him. The only time I can recall that he did so was when he had the pregame press conference in D.C. where he told both Williams and Ozzie to cut it out after the Twitter stuff came out.

When your top pitcher tells the V.P. to get out and stay out of the clubhouse, it's not a good thing.

LaRoche's leaving help the Sox on the field and may lead to tearing it apart and torpedoing the season when all is said and done.

We'll see but this situation appears now to be getting out of control.

Mark

If players are going to Kenny Williams, it sounds like neither Robin or Rick is taking care of the problem, no?

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
How dumb are these people to not realize players complained?

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 7m7 minutes ago

Consensus in Cubs locker room re LaRoche is basically players should have been allowed to police the situation

no s***, the players did police the situation because unlike last year the club has real leaders. KW simply decided to play bad cop and act as their proxy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Who would you rather the players hate, KW or Ventura?

Noone, but why would you ignore your GM and manager when they tell you that you should not tell LaRoche anything and you completely ignore them and do it anyway, ultimately causeing what appears to be a sizable rift in the clubhouse

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Noone, but why would you ignore your GM and manager when they tell you that you should not tell LaRoche anything and you completely ignore them and do it anyway, ultimately causeing what appears to be a sizable rift in the clubhouse

They did tell KW to talk to him about dialing back, and he refused to listen so KW brought it up again and he quit. KW did nothing bad here, he's just being the bad guy to keep others out of the spotlight. The story is so dumb.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Herb LawrenceVerified account ‏@Ecnerwal23 8m8 minutes ago Imperial Beach, CA

The Sox-LaRoche thing is a win-win for both parties. AL can go out as a martyr instead of a bum player. Sox get bad player/contact off books

He's not really going out as a martyr. He's going out as a selfish d-bag.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Ok, I'm all the way on management's side on this. Forget LaRoche, and get over it, Sale and Eaton, and the rest of the s***-kickers.

Same. Players need to grow up. They are privileged to play a game they love and probably have never had a conventional business 9-5 job in their life.

If they can't get over it, trade them. Don't care how talented they are. They aren't focusing on the big picture, they're focusing on a f***ing 14 year old kid

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
They did tell KW to talk to him about dialing back, and he refused to listen so KW brought it up again and he quit. KW did nothing bad here, he's just being the bad guy to keep others out of the spotlight. The story is so dumb.

The more details that start to trickle in, the more LaRoche just sounds like a selfish asshole. He is solely responsible for creating a very awkward situation.

I am never one to stick up for Kenny, but man this was an absolute no win situation. And this is just not dying out.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
He's not really going out as a martyr. He's going out as a selfish d-bag.

Eh. I won't call him selfish or anything, but I don't get why this is such an unreasonable request. I have no problem with the guy standing up for his beliefs, I just don't get his beliefs.

This situation just seems so bizarre because of the timing. Few weeks before the season and now we have this stupid distraction. Better not give this team an excuse to win 76 games and suck. I really hope this isn't pissing Sale off and leading to a disaster.