Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
From what's come out, the respect the team has for him is what saved a boycott

It was also said that was overblown.

He needs to get them unified to play baseball. He clearly is not doing that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 8m8 minutes ago

Eaton says La Roche told him he did have contractual agreement for son to be in clubhouse.

So LaRoche and/or LaRoche surrogates have been throwing spitballs at the Sox via Twitter for the past two days, yet this is the first that we're hearing about it? Does not compute.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
And why would Kenny flat out lie (per the Sun-Times link)?

And honestly, with Sale, get Friedman on the phone if he keeps this up. Put Eaton on the market as well.

Edit: I'm not saying at this exact moment, but if they keep going.

A handful of players on this team area embarrassingly immature.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
I don't think "this" was mishandled.

More like Robin has no control of his clubhouse.

Reason #45465332 he should not be the manager of this team.

For sure.

There are disagreements in locker rooms every year. They don't get out like this.

Get rid of Kenny and Robin and lay down some rules and build a culture. This is a free for all. I can't remember anything this bad since the beer and chicken stuff with the Red Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 8m8 minutes ago

Eaton says La Roche told him he did have contractual agreement for son to be in clubhouse.

1) Kenny said there wasn't. So now someone is lying, but we can't take either for fact.

2) The clause could very well say "Drake LaRoche is welcome in the clubhouse", not "Drake LaRoche has unlimited access to White Sox facilities"

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I was hoping someone would toss this in here.

My dad and I talked about how if a player like Pedro Cerrano existed and lived in the clubhouse, would LaRoche be tolerant of his having an altar in his locker?

Let's remember the Sox were pretty accommodating of LaRoche when they gave him a faith day that allowed him to bring in a homophobic hate-monger that he pals around with. Or how they gave his kid a locker.

To act like the Sox were hating on LaRoche's values is hysterical.

:cheers

Just trying to keep it lite around here.

I agree 100%. The Sox have been more than accommodating to LaRoche and his son but he needs to realise there are 24 other players in the locker room with him. I cannot imagine how difficult it is for management and coaches to try and get all 25 guys to gel together as well as be accepting of one another's opinions and beliefs.

Just speculation on my part but I think it's possible that LaRoche's beliefs could have rubbed some folks the wrong way if he came across anything like Eddie Harris. His strong beliefs in his religion is one of the factors that could have been mentioned along with his son being around all the time when some players went to KW. This is just my own speculation with absolutely nothing to back it up though.

There's much more to this story than what's been leaked so far and I think it's important for all of us fans to keep that in mind as we discuss the issue.

Personal side note: Chris Sale, STFU and pitch, not b****! :D

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
From what's come out, the respect the team has for him is what saved a boycott

Yep, hard-asses tend to not make it as managers anymore (unless you're Mike Scioscia and your owner loves and will never fire you). You have to get players to like you to succeed as a manager these days. Which is why it was logical for Kenny to bring down the hammer.

This reminds me of that Gawker situation a few months ago, where a reporter published a completely terrible story, and the head of gawker media forced it to be taken down, to which the reporters editors all went nuts.

To the outside world, they were all being completely stupid, but they were all adamant "no, they are terrible why can't you all see! Why can't you see?!?!"

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
Yep, hard-asses tend to not make it as managers anymore (unless you're Mike Scioscia and your owner loves and will never fire you). You have to get players to like you to succeed as a manager these days. Which is why it was logical for Kenny to bring down the hammer.

And that's fine. Great.

Now Robin needs to say some s*** like "How about we channel all this anger and frustration towards winning games for Adam and Drake, instead of on Twitter."

Whatever. I don't care. Just make them shut up. For the sake of the poor kid, even.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
Wow, Sale calling for KW to be fired it sounds like

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 4m4 minutes ago

Chris Sale: The wrong guys walked out of that room, meaning teammate Adam LaRoche, and not #WhiteSox VP Ken Williams

Oh s***, Chris.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
He didn't have total access. Here is a story about him from last June. Even Conor Gillaspie likes the kid. It stated there were times his access was limited.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0620-story.html

There's that quote I was looking for earlier:

The only downside to the arrangement is LaRoche can't bring Montana, an 11-year-old softball and volleyball player, into the clubhouse as he does Drake because she's a girl.

"It's unfortunate she can't come," LaRoche said. "That's thousands of hours of time we missed together, and Drake and I get to spend it together. I try to make an effort when I am home, have off days or have evenings, to do stuff with her and spend time with her. It's a struggle for sure."