Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
CarGo, Reyes, and Gray for Danish, Guerrero, Lowry, and Engel.

Sox take on dead/bad money and an underperformer in Gray who still has upside. Rockies get some pitching prospects that all have a MLB floor and could end up as rotation pieces and a high upside guy and AFL MVP in Engel.

I like the thought, but that would be adding something like $30 to $40 million to the payroll, and I can't see that happening.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
CarGo, Reyes, and Gray for Danish, Guerrero, Lowry, and Engel.

Sox take on dead/bad money and an underperformer in Gray who still has upside. Rockies get some pitching prospects that all have a MLB floor and could end up as rotation pieces and a high upside guy and AFL MVP in Engel.

I think that package might work for CarGo and Reyes...not Jon Gray. They see him as their future ace and is a strikeout machine. I have thought the Sox and Rockies match up well for a trade since the beginning of last offseason. They just want a load for CarGo, which I don't think anyone is willing to do. Adding Reyes contract to the mix is interesting, though.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
Nolasco has always had OK peripherals, but the ERA never seems to match, there's always been a big gap. He's a consistent underperformer, and I don't think it's a fluke.

Nolasco is basically Javier Vazquez.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
Why on earth would anyone want Jose Reyes? Horrible person. Horrible shortstop. I'll take our .630 OPS over that P.O.S. anyday.

You don't, but he is going to get DFA'ed either way. You take on that bad salary to get Gray and solidify the rotation for the next several years. Bringing Gray in gives you five starters for 2017 when Latos walks at the end of this season and Fulmer comes up. If they won't give up Gray, then the Sox could take Hoffman instead. It is a lot of $$ to take on, which is a major hangup, but if they can find $30M to buy out Reyes they could by themselves a rotation member under control for the next six years which should put them money ahead.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
I'd rather have Kelly Johnson over Markakis.

He's more versatile.

True, but we already have versatile defenders who can't hit. Markakis rakes against righties. I wouldn't be mad if Sox acquired him, especially if it is significantly cheaper than Reddick/CarGo.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
What would it take for Reddick, he's a free agent after the season.

If the Sox aren't willing to give up Anderson or Fulmer, they'll likely get out-bid. The Sox have the payroll flexibility, but not the trade pieces right now.

Plus, if I were Hahn, I'd be more worried about a replacement for Danks. Latos is coming back to Earth and Miguel Gonzalez is going to take the Sox out of games every now and again.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
If the Sox aren't willing to give up Anderson or Fulmer, they'll likely get out-bid. The Sox have the payroll flexibility, but not the trade pieces right now.

Plus, if I were Hahn, I'd be more worried about a replacement for Danks. Latos is coming back to Earth and Miguel Gonzalez is going to take the Sox out of games every now and again.

I'm not sure I would part with Anderson or Fulmer.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
I think that package might work for CarGo and Reyes...not Jon Gray. They see him as their future ace and is a strikeout machine. I have thought the Sox and Rockies match up well for a trade since the beginning of last offseason. They just want a load for CarGo, which I don't think anyone is willing to do. Adding Reyes contract to the mix is interesting, though.

This. Gray has 13 major league starts under his belt. Gray + Hoffman is a huge part of the Rockies' rebuild plan - there's no way the Sox would get him as a throw in. If you were looking for a potentially fixable arm in that deal, Eddie Butler might be a fit.

Like SS2K5 said though, I don't see the Sox taking on $30M-$40M in payroll for a guy they will immediately DFA and CarGo.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm not sure I would part with Anderson or Fulmer.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
For 2 months of Reddick....no way do you trade Anderson or Fulmer

And that's why we're not likely to get Reddick. Unless a package containing Avi and Carlos Sanchez is able to beat out what the Cubs and other interested teams can offer.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 10, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
And that's why we're not likely to get Reddick. Unless a package containing Avi and Carlos Sanchez is able to beat out what the Cubs and other interested teams can offer.

It's not going to take a top 50 prospect to get 2 months of Reddick. I'd do something along the lines of Adams+, but after that no thanks. With no chance of a qualifying offer, he will definitely hit free agency primed for a big pay day.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 10, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
It's not going to take a top 50 prospect to get 2 months of Reddick. I'd do something along the lines of Adams+, but after that no thanks. With no chance of a qualifying offer, he will definitely hit free agency primed for a big pay day.

Why do I feel like Beane will get the most out of Danish?

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
Total Kenny deal. Thank God he doesn't run trades.

Prove it. I can't remember him ever giving up a top prospect for a rental.

Masset doesn't count

D Hudson doesn't count

E Escobar doesn't count

Obviously Gio doesn't apply

Bassitt, Phegley, Semien, Ravelo obviously doesn't count

Ely doesn't count

Excuse me if I'm forgetting one