5/17 - Astros @ White Sox Game Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
Yep it's definitely masking the bigger issues. Team is just giving up too many two strike, two out runs

We need some better pitch calling.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2016 -> 05:10 AM)
Really Albers has just completely collapsed the last week. Even the rest of the pen hasn't been awful. He's simply lost the Sox three games.

That gopher ball was inexcusable. Anybody could have ripped that pitch out. Pisses me off. Note the difference in that last pitch to Avila. Slop. He waved at it.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 18, 2016 -> 05:13 AM)
maybe one game can make that big of a difference. I've seen it happen before to the Sox.

Mark

It happens all the time to the Sox. You usually can point to one game as starting the collapse. What makes me mad is tonight we could have reversed all the bad karma. We had the game in the ninth. Abreu finishes it off and the Sox would have been jumping up and down and all that. Instead a horrible loss and now we have to worry about losing this series, too.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
Yes. Saladino's error was the difference. And I'm tired of accepting two generally useless guys who do more or less the same things, just because they do occasional good things.

At most, we need one of Saladino or Sanchez here. We do not need both.

You didn't even mention Saladino's error in your OP. Saladino is nowhere near useless on this roster in fact right now he is our best option at SS on the major league roster.

We don't need Sands here, he needs to be replaced by a guy who can play all 3 OF positions

Edited by BigHurt3515

Could we talk Torii Hunter out of retiring? What about a trade with the Braves who are going nowhere. Get AJP back and dump Avila. Acquire Francouer for some Class A non prospect. Or what about acquiring Markakis for a Class A stiff.

Edited by greg775

This Central division is going to be interesting this year. I personally think the the White Sox will be in it all throughout the year and have as good of a chance of winning it as any team. However, I think the winner(s) at the trading deadline will play a big role in who wins this division. It's between the White Sox, Royals, and Indians. Detroit's haydays are over.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Saladino is nowhere near useless on this roster in fact right now he is our best option at SS on the major league roster.

Saladino had a .267 OBP last year. Rollins, in his worst year ever, had a .285 OBP. He also had a .6 WAR, down from previous years at 3+. Saladino's not going to do that.

Yes, his defense is better. But as far as I'm concerned, we need Rollins ' bat. He's struggled a bit so far, but even in those struggles he's far more potent than Saladino or Sanchez.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
Could we talk Torii Hunter out of retiring? What about a trade with the Braves who are going nowhere. Get AJP back and dump Avila. Acquire Francouer for some Class A non prospect. Or what about acquiring Markakis for a Class A stiff.

Yeah let's take horrible veterans off retirement and the worst team in the league

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)

And with that...goodnight folks

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)

I favor vets and loathe prospects (I'm the anti GreenSox), but each one of those guys would persuade me to find something else to do with my time. A possible exception for Markakis.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
The batter would of been out and the runner would of returned to his original base on the interference.

Since it was a strike out, the runner would've been called out. Just got clarification on it.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
Saladino had a .267 OBP last year. Rollins, in his worst year ever, had a .285 OBP. He also had a .6 WAR, down from previous years at 3+. Saladino's not going to do that.

Yes, his defense is better. But as far as I'm concerned, we need Rollins ' bat. He's struggled a bit so far, but even in those struggles he's far more potent than Saladino or Sanchez.

You do realize Saladino was a rookie last year correct? I think he deserves some slack. Rollins is 37 and declining, he will never be above 1.5 WAR again. Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think we should cut Rollins at all but I do think Saladino should get most of the reps at SS. He is going to provide much better defense and at this point I think he can provide better offense.

I don't know what fantasy land you live in but Rollins will never be close to his old self of even 2 years ago where he didn't even hit .245

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
You do realize Saladino was a rookie last year correct? I think he deserves some slack. Rollins is 37 and declining, he will never be above 1.5 WAR again. Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think we should cut Rollins at all but I do think Saladino should get most of the reps at SS. He is going to provide much better defense and at this point I think he can provide better offense.

I don't know what fantasy land you live in but Rollins will never be close to his old self of even 2 years ago where he didn't even hit .245

Saladino doesn't even have some grand precedent to revert back to. He hit .224 last year. His bat, once given enough exposure, was putrid. I'm sorry, I just don't know where you're getting the idea that he will ever amount to anything offensively.

With that, time for bed. Have a nice night.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:34 PM)
Saladino doesn't even have some grand precedent to revert back to. He hit .224 last year. His bat, once given enough exposure, was putrid. I'm sorry, I just don't know where you're getting the idea that he will ever amount to anything offensively.

With that, time for bed. Have a nice night.

I don't think he is going to be some offensive all-star out there. I simply think he can produce just as well if not better then Rollins can this year while providing better offense..

Bases loaded one out in a tie game in the 7th and Rollins strikes out. Bottom of the 9th, 1st and 3rd, 0 outs down by 1 run and Saladino hits a SF.. I know it is just one game but shouldn't the veteran be able to put the ball in play there and score a big run?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:39 PM)
I don't think he is going to be some offensive all-star out there. I simply think he can produce just as well if not better then Rollins can this year while providing better offense..

Bases loaded one out in a tie game in the 7th and Rollins strikes out. Bottom of the 9th, 1st and 3rd, 0 outs down by 1 run and Saladino hits a SF.. I know it is just one game but shouldn't the veteran be able to put the ball in play there and score a big run?

Yeah Rollins just didn't get it done there which is ridiculous. You have one job to and Saladino just executes better in those situations.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)

With the week he just had and assuming he keeps performaning at a high level, I think Tim Anderson gets the call sometime within the next 60 days. Maybe right after the deadline.

We are officially slumping.

DEFENSE: Saladino error, mental mistake. Jackson, 2nd dropped fly ball of year.

PITCHIN: Albers is like a cat. If that cat was bad at pitching.

Rodon: Still no command. Still can't tighten it up with runners on. Stop getting behind hitter.

So we've lost 3 in a row heading into a Mat Latos start. I don't like it.

QUOTE (ronkark @ May 18, 2016 -> 05:50 AM)
We are officially slumping.

DEFENSE: Saladino error, mental mistake. Jackson, 2nd dropped fly ball of year.

PITCHIN: Albers is like a cat. If that cat was bad at pitching.

Rodon: Still no command. Still can't tighten it up with runners on. Stop getting behind hitter.

So we've lost 3 in a row heading into a Mat Latos start. I don't like it.

Baseball is such a crazy game. Albers was king of the world, a probable all-star in April. Now he has to be considered as a possible DL candidate if he gets rocked in another appearance or two. I mean he's been THAT BAD he may have to sit. Right?? If this keeps up, he's killing the team after being a godsend.

Well, since we don't have any great internal candidates to replace him, Albers would probably be pushed back to the "second unit" with Petricka, Putnam and Jennings.

Of course, that would leave the question of who can hold the lead in the 7th inning an open question.

In all likelihood, they're going to have to trade for someone if it continues to linger as an issue.

Personally, I think Albers is just a bit gassed. He doesn't seem to be in the greatest physical condition, he's an older/veteran player and he's been utilized a LOT by Ventura in the first quarter of the season. He SHOULD bounce back. It does seem his stuff isn't as crisp, not as much movement as before. They're unlikely to just DFA him at this point when he's been one of the major strengths of the team until the last 10 days or so.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
Well, since we don't have any great internal candidates to replace him, Albers would probably be pushed back to the "second unit" with Petricka, Putnam and Jennings.

Of course, that would leave the question of who can hold the lead in the 7th inning an open question.

In all likelihood, they're going to have to trade for someone if it continues to linger as an issue.

Personally, I think Albers is just a bit gassed. He doesn't seem to be in the greatest physical condition, he's an older/veteran player and he's been utilized a LOT by Ventura in the first quarter of the season. He SHOULD bounce back. It does seem his stuff isn't as crisp, not as much movement as before. They're unlikely to just DFA him at this point when he's been one of the major strengths of the team until the last 10 days or so.

Our big three starters are going to need to go 7 consistently or we aren't winning anything. No playoffs again. Amazing that it's almost June already. My god the calendar flies by. It was just spring training.