5/31/16 Game Thread: White Sox @ Mets

hogan873

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
It is all perspective. If they were sitting two games out on May 31 without the 23-10 start, and without the 4- whatever streak on the other end, most people would be thrilled. The falloff from one extreme to the other is what is killing people. As of today, we are on a pace for about 84 wins, which really is really close to about what most people thought they would do for the whole season. The mode prediction was 86-87 wins. A win today changes that projection back to 86 wins.

The irony is if you had switched the cold streak and hot streaks around, this place would be going crazy with optimism right now.

The reality that a team is never as good as its hot streaks, and never as bad as its cold streaks.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
This is without even the slightest bit of context, though. Fact of the matter is, this team has blown 5 games in the last 3 weeks that they should have won & have won 4 games in their last (20?). Obviously they aren't this bad but to operate under that mindset w/o any sort of context doesn't make much sense to me.

But those are the stats. It really is meaningless when the wins occurred or in what order. ;)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 31, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
I'm sorry but that is such a ludicrous viewpoint to have as a fan. It's one thing to be willing to lose late in the season so changes are made or a better draft pick is to be had but it is f***ing May 31 and they are just 2 games back despite losing 7 in a row. I swear some of you people like to see them fail just so you have something to whine about and it really makes it a chore to even visit this board at times.

I am by no means saying the Sox are going to the World Series, but I always look to the 2005 Houston Astros and I am reminded that no matter how bad a team starts, NO TEAM should EVER be considered one that is dead in the water. On May 31st, 2005 the Astros were 19-32 to begin the season and in last place in the NL Central...14 games back. We all know where they ended up at the end of the season. This doesn't usually happen, but it IS possible. Hell, even the Twins have a shot to right themselves right now. The current White Sox are in a funk, yes, but by no means are they out of it. By no means should they blow the whole thing up like a lot of people are saying, despite the bad taste from the last few years. They are 27-25, and, like you say, only 2 games back despite losing 7 in a row. That's pretty good. I would rather them have this one bad stretch now than in August/September and potentially October. Sometimes it's not even the team that is considered to be the best that wins it all, it's the team that is the hottest. I am looking forward to a fantastic rebound by this team. They have proved that they can win, and I am confident they will do it again.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
My views exactly. I am really getting fed up with the shark frenzy that goes on her after every play not made, every hit not made, every game lost. This team in slumping and they are more upset than we are I am betting. We will turn this around and it's only May 31st and we are two games out. We could be like the Twins for crying out loud.

I would agree that it's probably a bit much if it's about a missed play, hit not made, or a loss. This wasn't that though- it was a gut-punch and an absolutely joyless, hopeless stretch of baseball, especially if we're looking at it all the way back to the Texas series (or even the Boston series, if you look past the meaningless sweep of the Twins that took place in between). Everyone saw the Harvey gem coming, and that's fine- by itself- because we all know that's how the Sox roll. But take that cherry and stick it on top of what happened in KC, and it's entirely different.

This team needs a 6-game winning streak in the worst way. Just get back to winning ball games, and everyone will start feeling good about our chances again.

But if they don't win a game on this trip, a move has to be made.

Robin might be trying to get himself fired..

Let's play the new hit game show: How Will the White Sox Lose Tonight?

A) Latos lets up 5+ runs

B) Bullpen blows a lead

C) We lose a low scoring close game by only scoring 2 runs or less

D) Sox make 2+ errors leading to 3+ unearned runs and costs us the game

E) Half our team gets food poisoning in the middle of the game because of some churros they ate earlier

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
That perspective works both ways.

Is it "perspective" or denial?

I'm not saying I know for sure...but I have trouble (taking the last 4 years plus this losing streak) to not see it as denial.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 31, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)

I'm not saying I know for sure...but I have trouble (taking the last 4 years plus this losing streak) to not see it as denial.

It is more of a Rorschach test right now. People who want to see bad, see bad. People who want to see good, will see good. We have about 110 games to find out what is right.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 31, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)

That's a good way of looking at it. If the Sox were a good organization the last four years and this same scenario happened (starting 23-10, then 4-15), we'd be pissed, but probably chalk it up to baseball gods, and we'll bounce back.

Under the Ventura Era, this scenario is just more of the same suckage.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 31, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Robin might be trying to get himself fired..

Let's play the new hit game show: How Will the White Sox Lose Tonight?

A) Latos lets up 5+ runs

B) Bullpen blows a lead

C) We lose a low scoring close game by only scoring 2 runs or less

D) Sox make 2+ errors leading to 3+ unearned runs and costs us the game

E) Half our team gets food poisoning in the middle of the game because of some churros they ate earlier

Mets blowout and hit 4 homers

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm sorry but that is such a ludicrous viewpoint to have as a fan. It's one thing to be willing to lose late in the season so changes are made or a better draft pick is to be had but it is f***ing May 31 and they are just 2 games back despite losing 7 in a row. I swear some of you people like to see them fail just so you have something to whine about and it really makes it a chore to even visit this board at times.

Pretty much exactly why I've avoided this board like the plague this past week. I understand people being upset with the recent play (I am too), but this board just becomes a cesspool of whining and despair in times like this, and that makes for a s***ty board experience, especially since the crowd of "I told you so" posters that seem to take some kind of twisted pleasure in seeing the Sox lose often take over.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 31, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
Pretty much exactly why I've avoided this board like the plague this past week. I understand people being upset with the recent play (I am too), but this board just becomes a cesspool of whining and despair in times like this, and that makes for a s***ty board experience, especially since the crowd of "I told you so" posters that seem to take some kind of twisted pleasure in seeing the Sox lose often take over.

Whining about whiners is way more annoying.