Renteria on 10-9 walk off win over Tigers (4 min video)

caulfield12

You mean listening to Rick Renteria talk about the team having good at bats for 4 minutes? Oh yeah, he had that spell in there where he said Shields was struggling with his command and then that other part where he said that Robin Ventura has been doing a great job of keeping all of the negative vibes out of the clubhouse.

This post reminds me of when a guy hears a song he likes, or maybe thinks is OK, and then he hears a relatively s***ty cover of it by a band he likes and says "WHAT A GREAT COVER, WAY BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!" when neither one was really that good.

Renteria didn't say s*** for f***, buddy.

---

Tbey're making wholesale changes, and Ventura might be next. I won't shed a tear. I just won't be surprised if it doesn't make a difference. I won't be surprised if it does.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 03:50 AM)
So you still think the Sox would have won had Ventura remained in the game?

His biggest supporter around here didn't believe this to be the case...thought we would lose regardless of who was managing.

Considering the Sox had already made their comeback and scored 70% of their runs, I think it's safe to say that, yeah, they would have. It's not like he would have gone to Leury Garcia in the 11th inning.

Also, considering this was the White Sox biggest comeback win in 14 years, I can see why ANYBODY would believe that they'd lose this game.

But no, it was all Rick Renteria telling the hitters to make sure they went up and had "good at bats."

His biggest supporter around here didn't believe this to be the case...thought we would lose regardless of who was managing.

Of course they would have won. What did Renteria do that Ventura would not have done?

Renteria's finest moment had to be the very first pitch after he took over when Albers blew Miggy away. He didn't have to come out and say anything to Matt, you know it was just there. If Ventura is still in the dugout there is probably a 92.75-97.45% chance Miggy homers there. I do think on that play Melky screwed up, then Frazier blew the tag, Robin must have announced his presence in between innings. No way a Renteria run ball club messes up like that.

Will Rick Hahn see the light and do what he has to do? His choices are vie for the playoffs with Renteria, are gather another protected draft pick with Ventura.

I'll use a Greg argument.

In the end, it was Renteria in the dugout when they won...we don't or can't possibly know for sure with Robin the same result would have taken place were Ventura still in charge.

Just like we can't know if Robin Ventura could successfully have managed the Braves as well as Bobby Cox, the A's/Cards as well as LaRussa, the Tigers/Pirates as well as Leyland and the Yankees as well as Joe Torre...or if any different White Sox manager would have similarly guided that 2005 team successfully into the playoffs and post-season.

Actually, we have to give Robin credit for removing the possibility of Renteria putting Tyler Danish into the game later!!!!

Keeping the rally going, Brett Lawrie lined a single to right-center field to score Abreu making it a one-run game, 7-6.

Now only down by one run, Ventura went to the bullpen to keep the Tigers offense still and called for...

Tyler Danish.

The rookie who has struggled in each of his appearances was called into the face the Tigers middle of the order. Danish walked Miggy, gave up a single to Nick Castellanos, who committed a TOOTBLAN by trying to stretch it into a double. With a runner on third and one out, Danish intentionally walked J.D. Martinez. Looking to use his sinker to create a double play, Justin Upton waited for a pitch up in the zone and drove a single to center to extend the Tigers lead, 8-6. Ventura would lift Danish for Dan Jennings, but it appeared that gamble would cost the game for Chicago.

www.southsidesox.com

Edited by caulfield12

For one thing, Renteria bunted in the precise Point in the game where it makes sense to bunt. No evidence to suggest Ventura would've gotten that right. In fact, I don't think Ventura has bunted since his New York City sit-down with Hahn. He may be under no bunt orders, which, was probably necessary overall.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 06:24 AM)
I'll use a Greg argument.

In the end, it was Renteria in the dugout when they won...we don't or can't possibly know for sure with Robin the same result would have taken place were Ventura still in charge.

Just like we can't know if Robin Ventura could successfully have managed the Braves as well as Bobby Cox, the A's/Cards as well as LaRussa, the Tigers/Pirates as well as Leyland and the Yankees as well as Joe Torre...or if any different White Sox manager would have similarly guided that 2005 team successfully into the playoffs and post-season.

Actually, we have to give Robin credit for removing the possibility of Renteria putting Tyler Danish into the game later!!!!

Keeping the rally going, Brett Lawrie lined a single to right-center field to score Abreu making it a one-run game, 7-6.

Now only down by one run, Ventura went to the bullpen to keep the Tigers offense still and called for...

Tyler Danish.

The rookie who has struggled in each of his appearances was called into the face the Tigers middle of the order. Danish walked Miggy, gave up a single to Nick Castellanos, who committed a TOOTBLAN by trying to stretch it into a double. With a runner on third and one out, Danish intentionally walked J.D. Martinez. Looking to use his sinker to create a double play, Justin Upton waited for a pitch up in the zone and drove a single to center to extend the Tigers lead, 8-6. Ventura would lift Danish for Dan Jennings, but it appeared that gamble would cost the game for Chicago.

www.southsidesox.com

He had at least 4 innings to cover with his bullpen. You are going to have to use the dregs. It wound up he had more to cover, but considering your before hindsight comment about Duke's chances of going through an inning giving up fewer runs than Danish, it's mindboggling you aren't ripping Renteria for using him.

I'm with ya! Hard to predict a win down 7-0! Someone posted on ESPN how the Sox are 3-0 in games managed by Renteria this year...I can't say that completely fuels the Robin being fired argument though. First off, it's small sample size, then you can say his ejections have been timed well and fired up the team to win 3 times...haha. Management is probably looking for any reason they can to add credit for RV at this point, but it's kind of true? An ejection does fire up a team if timed correctly. Maybe those 3 wins cover up the travesty that happened in KC a couple weeks ago??? LOL

Renteria has a much better record managing the White Sox than Don Cooper, fwiw.

Probably not much. Just like his enthusiasm and excitement more. Appreciation for the opportunity he has right now to still be a part of professional baseball in some capacity after what transpired with the Cubs. Plus, he's the bridge to all the Latin American players, which is of critical importance in modern-day baseball with 35-40% of players originating from DR/Venezuela/Cuba/PR/Mexico.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:12 AM)
For one thing, Renteria bunted in the precise Point in the game where it makes sense to bunt. No evidence to suggest Ventura would've gotten that right. In fact, I don't think Ventura has bunted since his New York City sit-down with Hahn. He may be under no bunt orders, which, was probably necessary overall.

The funny part is that when a manager gets ejected, they still manage. They just do it from the clubhouse instead of the bench. There is no doubt Ventura made all of the play calls from his ejection to the end of the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
The funny part is that when a manager gets ejected, they still manage. They just do it from the clubhouse instead of the bench. There is no doubt Ventura made all of the play calls from his ejection to the end of the game.

No this cannot be correct. There is no communication available that would allow RV to talk to Renteria or Cooper. This game was won solely because the aura of Renteria was sitting quietly on the bench projecting confidence.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
No this cannot be correct. There is no communication available that would allow RV to talk to Renteria or Cooper. This game was won solely because the aura of Renteria was sitting quietly on the bench projecting confidence.

It is beyond silly to think Renteria taking over was the reason for the win. How did the team do in Robin's other ejections after he left? Edit, now 3-0 when Robin gets the boot, and they score a minimum 8 runs.But, it wouldn't surprise me if Robin wasn't running the game anymore. I know it's been baseball tradition where the manager still runs the game from the clubhouse, but I do know when Ozzie would get ejected, he left the park. I had a couple people tell me they were drinking with him watching the game on TV at Carmichael's after he had been ejected. Maybe they are lying, but I don't know why they would.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
It is beyond silly to think Renteria taking over was the reason for the win. How did the team do in Robin's other ejections after he left? Edit, now 3-0 when Robin gets the boot, and they score a minimum 8 runs.But, it wouldn't surprise me if Robin wasn't running the game anymore. I know it's been baseball tradition where the manager still runs the game from the clubhouse, but I do know when Ozzie would get ejected, he left the park. I had a couple people tell me they were drinking with him watching the game on TV at Carmichael's after he had been ejected. Maybe they are lying, but I don't know why they would.

Maybe they won because of the fire and intensity RV showed by standing up for his team. You can spin it anyway you want.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
Maybe they won because of the fire and intensity RV showed by standing up for his team. You can spin it anyway you want.

It had to be Renteria. Robin must have done something to show he still was around the inning Melky and Frazier screwed up, and you know he probably talked to Robertson and probably Frazier when he fanned. Just like when players are good, it had to be Hahn's idea, and when they are bad, it's all KW, the same applies here. Screw ups are on Robin. Renteria at times, can fix his mess, because after all, he can speak Spanish.

I am just so glad they won, and hope this can propel them to some extended good baseball. Who knows, we might have been not having the biggest comeback by the team in 14 years away from a new manager.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
The guys arguing that we wouldn't have won without Rentaria are the guys who have never played, nor managed a baseball game.

I think most are just fooling around. But there are one or two who are so invested in trashing Ventura, they can't understand how ridiculous their arguments are getting.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
The guys arguing that we wouldn't have won without Rentaria are the guys who have never played, nor managed a baseball game.

Oh right because you have to "have played" or "managed" a game to have an opinion.

You better not complain if your mechanic charges you for some questionable things... hey dude you have never been a mechanic...

Or better not complain if your governor messes something up... I mean you have never been the governor?

All these people voting for president.. You can just tell they have never been president before.

C'mon with that silly silly siiiiiiiiiiiily logic.