2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
If the Bulls can keep Jimmy and lose and get in the draft lottery, there are possibilities. Some of the best players in the NBA right now were picked outside of the top ten. That being said, I think you have to lose Gar to make that happen.

The Spurs got their best player with a 15th overall pick. We got ours with 30th. The guy who looks to be the next best player in the NBA went 15th to Milwaukee.

The problem is, Gar has shown time and time again that we will not be able to pick the guy we need.

There are exceptions, obviously, but they are rare. It is much more likely you have sustained success by getting a transcendent player in the top 3-5 and building through there. Magic, Mike, (Bird would have went higher and Mchale was top 3 anyway), Isaiah, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, etc. All were top 3 picks. Trading with Boston could potentially give you the number 3 pick from this past draft, another top 3 pick for this years draft, the bulls would be in the lottery on their own, as well as two lottery picks next year.

I doubt it happens, but that would be my preference.

Edited by Boogua

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wouldn't get Simmons but Bryan Colangelo is the new philly GM so a drumbeat trade we could do well in is definitely possible. But I also just do not want Forman to trade butler. If next group does, okay, but Forman should not get that attempt.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
There are exceptions, obviously, but they are rare. It is much more likely you have sustained success by getting a transcendent player in the top 3-5 and building through there. Magic, Mike, (Bird would have went higher and Mchale was top 3 anyway), Isaiah, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, etc. All were top 3 picks. Trading with Boston could potentially give you the number 3 pick from this past draft, another top 3 pick for this years draft, the bulls would be in the lottery on their own, as well as two lottery picks next year.

I doubt it happens, but that would be my preference.

Well damn. We're in complete agreement for once.

That Bulls comeback game was pretty fun to watch. Butler is just on fire right now. For the first time ever, Hoiberg is starting to coach. He made a statement with Niko a few weeks back and then obviously stuck Rondo on the bench (the front office needs to do something cause that is a ticking time bomb). I've finally noticed we are looking at getting Doug more shots too (about time). I got so tired of running our bench unit around Niko...nice to see Doug getting more action cause he's looked pretty darn good...for a role player).

I wonder what happens with Taj and Niko at the deadline (and what the franchises long term plans are). It would be great to see Portis wake up and figure out how to play basketball and for Valentine to stay healthy so we can get an idea as to who he is, mainly because we need to see if we can develop any cheap bench players on our existing roster who you can hopefully put around whomever we sign as FA's (if we can even attract any). But man, Butler has been fun to watch as of late.

I agree about Fred starting to do some things but didn't want to get ganged up on for posting in. Would still like to see Bobby get some PT.

Also seemed like Denzel was contributing before that ugly angle roll.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:45 AM)
I agree about Fred starting to do some things but didn't want to get ganged up on for posting in. Would still like to see Bobby get some PT.

Also seemed like Denzel was contributing before that ugly angle roll.

It seems like it took him being backed against the wall before he finally said forget it, if I go down, I'm going to go down swinging (vs. following the Gar angle). It would appear Hoiberg's moves are relatively aligned with Paxson's public comments of being more athletic (i.e., the benching of Rondo, who was god awful offensively and defensively). This team would look so much different if they had a freaking point guard who was good and could stretch the floor (I mean, so would most teams, but there are so many freaking good pg's in the league...plenty of them weren't even that high of picks).

I figure I bash Fred enough that I better give credit for the fact that it seems like he's done a better job of late.

So, I know I've said this 100 times, but I just really would prefer to not have 3 rebuilding teams at once. The Bulls are not going to win a championship this year. But watching weekday bulls games with competent teams is entertainment I can live with for now.

Basically, if we actually add a real point guard I'll be happy for this year, as we slowly wade into the deep ocean with concrete boots on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
So, I know I've said this 100 times, but I just really would prefer to not have 3 rebuilding teams at once. The Bulls are not going to win a championship this year. But watching weekday bulls games with competent teams is entertainment I can live with for now.

Basically, if we actually add a real point guard I'll be happy for this year, as we slowly wade into the deep ocean with concrete boots on.

I do think by the time this season ends, the Lakers might be mighty desperate for a star. That said, we all know my views on sports and while winning titles is great, I also want to be enertained. For example, if someone had a crystal ball and said the White Sox would suck for 10 straight years (like not compete suck) and then win one championship vs. a scenario where you were the 90's Braves but didn't win the championship (note..I realize Braves did win a series..so I'm adding a wrinkle there)...I'd take 90 Braves all day long.

I will say though, in basketball, I don't value being a 7 or 8 seed (unless it is on an up and coming team) so I fully do agree with the whole basketball pergatory comment, with the exception of, when you have a superstar on your team...because I think you need to find a way to build through such player and that now isn't the right time to hit "reset"...unless someone makes just a ridiculous offer at you. We clearly aren't in a great place, but there are a ton of teams in worse places and with the right FA moves, could quickly get back towards the top of the list (in almost no plausible scenario can I see us being title favorites, but that is more because Golden State is so much better and well, Cleveland has the greatest player on the planet).

Here is a question...if you were the Bulls...do you sit Wade today (especially with Butler being a game time decision) against the Thunder, so that both could go against the Wizards, or do you play Wade today and then have him sit tomorrow? If it were me, I'd say, look, we aren't at full strength, so lets give this one to the young guys and go get the win tomorrow (but I'm not a coach).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
Here is a question...if you were the Bulls...do you sit Wade today (especially with Butler being a game time decision) against the Thunder, so that both could go against the Wizards, or do you play Wade today and then have him sit tomorrow? If it were me, I'd say, look, we aren't at full strength, so lets give this one to the young guys and go get the win tomorrow (but I'm not a coach).

Butler will likely play. I'd be shocked to see him not want to play Russ.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
He got benched in the 4th the other night. Three options:

- he's sulking and being a baby

- he's dead

- he's gang banging

Shall we start a poll?

I hope it's the first one, but the fact that his acquaintances don't know anything about his whereabouts is a little scary.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
He got benched in the 4th the other night. Three options:

- he's sulking and being a baby

- he's dead

- he's gang banging

Shall we start a poll?

Grow up man