2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it must be asked now...Are the Warriors of 2017 the GOAT? They already have (and we know this coming in) the most devastating offense of all-time. I mean just check the numbers. They're all there. But I don't think anybody expected them to be this elite defensively. I don't know what's happened to KD. He's a legit DPOY candidate. Klay/Draymond are obviously elite on that end. They've got above average length and athleticism everywhere (well, except for zaza). I said it before the season started and i'll say it again. If LeBron takes down these warriors in June he's the new GOAT.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
So it must be asked now...Are the Warriors of 2017 the GOAT? They already have (and we know this coming in) the most devastating offense of all-time. I mean just check the numbers. They're all there. But I don't think anybody expected them to be this elite defensively. I don't know what's happened to KD. He's a legit DPOY candidate. Klay/Draymond are obviously elite on that end. They've got above average length and athleticism everywhere (well, except for zaza). I said it before the season started and i'll say it again. If LeBron takes down these warriors in June he's the new GOAT.

You really want everyone and everything to be the GOAT don't you?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)

This Cavs team matches up extremely well against the Warriors. The Warriors have no rim protection (unless you try to count Durant and draymond, which is meh). The cavs have two guys that can attack the basket and score inside with Kyrie and Lebron.

Last years finals:

Kyrie averaged 25 PPG in games 1-4. 30 from games 5-7. Lebron 24.75 in games 1-4 and 36.3 with no rim protection in games 5-7. This isn't difficult.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 10:50 PM)
This Cavs team matches up extremely well against the Warriors. The Warriors have no rim protection (unless you try to count Durant and draymond, which is meh). The cavs have two guys that can attack the basket and score inside with Kyrie and Lebron.

Last years finals:

Kyrie averaged 25 PPG in games 1-4. 30 from games 5-7. Lebron 24.75 in games 1-4 and 36.3 with no rim protection in games 5-7. This isn't difficult.

Many believe that if Draymond doesn't get suspended the series ends in game 5. And this time around there's not going to be any leaving Harrison Barnes open to shoot brick after brick because Harrison Barnes is now Kevin Durant. I get what you're saying about the rim protection though it seems like JaVale Mcgee is playing well for them and he definitely offers rim protection. But i'm not about to say JaVale can be counted on in the finals. Last I checked, the warriors were #1 in defensive rating, steals, blocks, deflections, contested shots and defensive rebounding. What they lack in beef they're making up for with length and athleticism. But to be fair, LeBron and Kyrie in a 7-game series is a whole nother animal from the regular season. June is going to be so much fun.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 07:22 AM)
The only truism here is Jordan is the GOAT.

For now. As epic as last year was for LeBron, he would have to take this juggernaut down to claim the title. Or at least share it. I look back at the teams MJ beat and start laughing. Back then you had big 2's (or big 1's if you want to talk the knicks and pacers). And lol@the benches of most of those teams. pathetic.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
For now. As epic as last year was for LeBron, he would have to take this juggernaut down to claim the title. Or at least share it. I look back at the teams MJ beat and start laughing. Back then you had big 2's (or big 1's if you want to talk the knicks and pacers). And lol@the benches of most of those teams. pathetic.

Do you also laugh thinking of one star teams that Lebron lost to like Dallas and Orlando? Just curious.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Do you also laugh thinking of one star teams that Lebron lost to like Dallas and Orlando? Just curious.

'09 was just a terrible matchup. Dwight at his peak and then you had not one, but two 6'10 guys in Hedo and Rashard that could shoot from deep. Yes, 2011 is and will always be the WTF moment of LeBron's career. No defense for that one. Beating a 73-win team last year and arguably the best two-way team the game has ever seen this year would overcome the '11 choke.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
'09 was just a terrible matchup. Dwight at his peak and then you had not one, but two 6'10 guys in Hedo and Rashard that could shoot from deep. Yes, 2011 is and will always be the WTF moment of LeBron's career. No defense for that one. Beating a 73-win team last year and arguably the best two-way team the game has ever seen this year would overcome the '11 choke.

There should be some context with that 73 win team. Their best player wasn't all that healthy. The team that lost 9 regular season games lost 9 games in the playoffs alone.

They were also up 3-1 against the cavs when they had their starting 5. Often overlooked by Lebron fans when trying to say he beat the "best team ever"

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)

Last years finals:

Cavs could really use Taj. Seriously, they could. Warriors could as well.

Rumor that the Bulls are actively shopping Niko (good...albeit midly surprised) and Rondo (clearly no surprise). I presume we will also be moving Taj at some point (and I'd like to think we could get at least a 1st round pick for him, if not a first round and a future pick). I think every single contender would value having Taj around. The only real question is whether the Bulls intend to resign him. Curious to see what we could get for Niko...either way, we need to move him now, because he'll go elsewhere at the end of the year, so some value is better then nothing.

In hindsight, we should have maxed him out in the past. Niko has a good skill set, but either he's too stupid to develop or our coaching staff just isn't good enough to get the most out of him (quite possible) and it is probably a combination of the two. I wouldn't be surprised if we moved Doug either, although I figure we'll wait out another year with him. Need to start making moves to be in a better spot a year from now (whether that plan is moving Butler or to sign a FA moving Rondo & Niko flat out makes sense).

Problem with Rondo is, I'm afraid at what we will give up. On the bright side, maybe we found something in Zipser. I've liked what I've seen recently. Would be nice if we can turn that pick into a solid role player (if not more). Still very premature though.

If I'm the Bulls, I'd be doing what I can to try and ensure we can get the Kings 1st round pick (so that might be where you move Niko to)..something we should have done last year when we refused to send Pau.

I will be shocked if Rondo can find a home at his cost.

Since Boston:

- Flunked out of Dallas

- Flunked out of Sac

- Flunked out of Chicago

Oh yeah gimme gimme! Unless you get a bulls pick and have space to just suck it up and cut him, will be hard to find a team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)

Since Boston:

- Flunked out of Dallas

- Flunked out of Sac

- Flunked out of Chicago

Oh yeah gimme gimme! Unless you get a bulls pick and have space to just suck it up and cut him, will be hard to find a team.

I completely agree with you. That said, if he can play solid off the bench, maybe a team like Cleveland would like at him (not sure how they could make it work financially). Or someone who was in dire need of a backup PG due to injuries. I wouldn't expect anything back, other then, you are freeing up minutes to get a better read on Grant / Valentine.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)

Since Boston:

- Flunked out of Dallas

- Flunked out of Sac

- Flunked out of Chicago

The Bulls will give him away for literally anything at this point. I doubt we get anything for him and end up releasing him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)

Since Boston:

- Flunked out of Dallas

- Flunked out of Sac

- Flunked out of Chicago

Rondo didn't flunk out Sacramento. He played 72 games and led the league in dimes and then signed a free agency contract in the offseason.