2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
By the way, given how bad Del Negro & Hoiberg's hires have been...two guys who really had minimal NBA coaching experience, I presume the franchise will look to a more established name or at least a longer term assistant to hire. I would have to think "established" would be high on the list, I just don't know who that would be. We know JR & Doug Collins are tight, but they have both alluded to that never happening. Who would be out there? Avery Johnson never got a second shot and I presume he's been away far too long to be considered again (I always found it out that after that NBA finals choke he never was able to get another job).

George Karl would be an interesting name. Very very good coach who has excelled everywhere but Sacramento (which is a wasteland for all things). That said, his run in Sacramento didn't end well. Not a lot of experienced guys sitting on the sidelines right now (who you could hire in-season). Who are the top assistant's out there?

Avery Johnson got a job with the Nets after he was fired in Dallas and he had no success there. And Karl has probably torpedoed any chance he has of coaching in the NBA again with his book and picking fights with players.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
You guys are advocating John Paxson getting a 7th coach? 7? That's absurd. Hoiberg probably can't coach but if you watch this dumpster fire and he's the first thing you blame then we are watching different televisions.

I agree. If the Bulls need a new coach, Gar and Pax shouldn't be the guys selecting him. Nor, if they thought anything other than what is happening would happen this season, should they be putting together a roster. I don't like Gar as much as anyone, but Pax is just as to blame.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Avery Johnson got a job with the Nets after he was fired in Dallas and he had no success there. And Karl has probably torpedoed any chance he has of coaching in the NBA again with his book and picking fights with players.

I forgot about that...also forgot that he is coaching in college now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
You guys are advocating John Paxson getting a 7th coach? 7? That's absurd. Hoiberg probably can't coach but if you watch this dumpster fire and he's the first thing you blame then we are watching different televisions.

I'm just a realistic, I don't think Paxson is getting the axe. Bulls are one of the winningest franchises in basketball since he took the helm of a really really bad team. I can't see JR pushing him aside...can't see it. I could see him moving on from Gar / Hoiberg.

What needs to be done is Gar/Pax and Fred should be fired. The only exception I would make to try to squeeze something out of this year and make Pax take some responsibility would tell Pax fire Gar, fire Fred, you're the coach for the rest of this season. Show us what you were supposed to accomplish. Then, when they finish around .500 with the 8th seed and a quick knockout, have him go away.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)

Really I want to see Foreman sent packing before Hoiberg. Then let the next GM figure out what to do with this mess.

We have been singing the tune of emptying out this FO for a few years now, but we have not heard one single whisper that someone in the FO is in the hot seat.

A better question is when would we realistically seen GarPax being replaced? Would missing the PO's this year do it, would a bottom 10 record do it? Or would they be given the leash for one more season of mediocrity before anything happens?

Gar Forman and Michael Reinsdorf's wives are best friends. John Paxson also likes the fact that he doesn't have to do anything. He doesn't want to fire Forman because then he has to do all that work. Most likely best case scenario is that Forman goes and they bring back former front office Exec Matt Lloyd to be the GM under Paxson.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
I honestly can't say the Bulls have ruined Niko, this guy was just never good. He had one good month his rookie year and everyone kind of wents nuts about him. Besides that, he's been bad the whole time.

He was really good the 2nd half of last year after the appendectomy stuff. He could actually hit shots.

But certainly he has not/did not live up to the hype and he's never going to be that player they/we were hoping he would be.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
I doubt it. That place is always full.

I think it's starting to crack. They are really expensive, and the re-sale sucks. You could have sat in the Club level last night for $16 plus fees on Stubhub. Lower Center for $48. I think they are over $200 each face value.

I had some partial season tickets a long time ago. Last summer they were hounding me to buy some season tickets. First time they did that.

But I agree about Lloyd. He was supposedly the guy who targeted Butler and Gibson. For drafting that late, those were great picks. The year he left, Teague was picked. One of the worst shooters in NBA history.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
I think it's starting to crack. They are really expensive, and the re-sale sucks. You could have sat in the Club level last night for $16 plus fees on Stubhub. Lower Center for $48. I think they are over $200 each face value.

I had some partial season tickets a long time ago. Last summer they were hounding me to buy some season tickets. First time they did that.

But I agree about Lloyd. He was supposedly the guy who targeted Butler and Gibson. For drafting that late, those were great picks. The year he left, Teague was picked. One of the worst shooters in NBA history.

That is step one. Next comes the no shows, then they start blowing through the waiting lists.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)

Rondo and MCW are equally as bad of shooters.

The Knicks are the Bulls East in so many different ways. LOL COmplete disarray with both org's right now.

Bleacher Report ‏@BleacherReport 9m9 minutes ago

More

Knicks have reportedly reached out to Celtics and Clippers about a trade for Carmelo Anthony.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
The Knicks are the Bulls East in so many different ways. LOL COmplete disarray with both org's right now.

Bleacher Report ‏@BleacherReport 9m9 minutes ago

More

Knicks have reportedly reached out to Celtics and Clippers about a trade for Carmelo Anthony.

Hell the Knicks have probably called the Bulls too.