2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even in criticizing the NBA as the "worst it's ever been" Barkley is still legitimatizing an illegitimate league. There hasn't been an honest NBA season in my lifetime and anyone says otherwise is willfully ignoring the Ewing "lottery", Donaghy and Kings-Lakers (these are just the most egregious examples) because they are sentimental from growing up with the league or are just suspending disbelief the way wrestling fans do.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 1, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Even in criticizing the NBA as the "worst it's ever been" Barkley is still legitimatizing an illegitimate league. There hasn't been an honest NBA season in my lifetime and anyone says otherwise is willfully ignoring the Ewing "lottery", Donaghy and Kings-Lakers (these are just the most egregious examples) because they are sentimental from growing up with the league or are just suspending disbelief the way wrestling fans do.

lol. okay.

tin_foil_hat.gif

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 11:45 PM)
Absolutely hate that they are wasting his prime like this.

I just hope he can recruit like a madmen. That is the way this team can get really good...with Butler leading the charge and pulling some big time free agents. Guy is a star, but the rest of the team is so pathetic. Hoiberg is part of the problem, but the roster is too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
I just hope he can recruit like a madmen. That is the way this team can get really good...with Butler leading the charge and pulling some big time free agents. Guy is a star, but the rest of the team is so pathetic. Hoiberg is part of the problem, but the roster is too.

You would think that Jimmy could recruit as well anyone. He seems like he has made it to the "cool kids" table with how hollywood he has become. Lets see it work in our favor now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
JR needs to call Pax, tell him to fire Gar, fire Fred, and tell him he needs to coach the team the rest of the season. The result should show whether Pax should resume his current job, or seek employment elsewhere.

on his new years interview with David Schuster, he actually said that the roster was not athletic enough. Its one thing that we all know this, it is a completely different thing that Paxson said it. He is basically putting it on Gar

I think Gar *might* get canned if this team keeps putting out these mediocre to bad efforts through january, but I dont think Hoiberg goes anywhere at least until next season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
JR needs to call Pax, tell him to fire Gar, fire Fred, and tell him he needs to coach the team the rest of the season. The result should show whether Pax should resume his current job, or seek employment elsewhere.

I feel that way about the GM position. Put Pax back in as GM or fire him. The Bulls started a winning pedigree with Paxson as GM.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
on his new years interview with David Schuster, he actually said that the roster was not athletic enough. Its one thing that we all know this, it is a completely different thing that Paxson said it. He is basically putting it on Gar

I think Gar *might* get canned if this team keeps putting out these mediocre to bad efforts through january, but I dont think Hoiberg goes anywhere at least until next season.

That was after Rondo said the same thing. They aren't athletic and they can't shoot 3's. How can that win?

They are about to enter a stretch where they play good teams. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they can stay around .500, I would think nothing changes. If they tank, it would force them to do something. Right now that something seems to be releasing Rondo, which would be lame if that was the only response.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)

I don't see any way Hoiberg coaches this team next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
That was after Rondo said the same thing. They aren't athletic and they can't shoot 3's. How can that win?

They are about to enter a stretch where they play good teams. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they can stay around .500, I would think nothing changes. If they tank, it would force them to do something. Right now that something seems to be releasing Rondo, which would be lame if that was the only response.

I do think Gar goes before Hoiberg goes. I think Hoiberg is here for the rest of the year (most likely, at least, unless of course he loses the team). Gar I could see going sooner.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)

The odd thing about them is that they have beaten some really good teams, so there is SOMETHING there. To me it feels like the Coach isn't getting through to the team because they seem to play hard when they feel like it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
The odd thing about them is that they have beaten some really good teams, so there is SOMETHING there. To me it feels like the Coach isn't getting through to the team because they seem to play hard when they feel like it.

I fully believe Hoiberg is one of the worst coaches in the association, if not the worst. He is awful. I think I'd rather have Del Negro and I long thought he was hot garbage too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
I don't see any way Hoiberg coaches this team next year.

I just dont believe JR is going to write Hoiberg a 15 million dollar check to go away, 2 years after he wrote Thibs a large check to go away. I think they will try and get through next season

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
I fully believe Hoiberg is one of the worst coaches in the association, if not the worst. He is awful. I think I'd rather have Del Negro and I long thought he was hot garbage too.

It's too early to say one way or the other. Look at the roster he has to work with.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
Fred Hoiberg might be a bad coach. Personnel is a much bigger issue though. They've drafted really poorly and added a bunch of guys that don't even fit what the HC wants to do. Hoiberg might be terrible but how could anyone tell?

You're right. Expecting Hoiberg to win with last year's roster and this year's roster is a bit insane. But the 2 people who thought it wasn't unreasonable are Gar and Pax. Thibs was supposed to win, and when he couldn't he had to go, and they and JR couldn't kick him enough on the way out.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
It's too early to say one way or the other. Look at the roster he has to work with.

I fully believe Niko, Dougie, and Valentine have NBA talent. I also thought Snell had some NBA talent as well. What I saw under Hoiberg is that players have not really developed / got better. From the player development side, I haven't seen guys step up. Now it might just be, they are not good players, etc and that it is all bad drafting.

I haven't paid much attention to Snell with the Bucks, but he's getting almost 30 minutes a night on a playoff team, so he can't be flat out terrible. Derrick Rose's PER is also up from 13.5 to 16.5 (not saying this is cause of Hoiberg and could just as much just be being away from Butler, etc). On the flipside, Rondo's PER went from 16.9 to 11.2. Now part of that is Rondo looks bad, but is a component coaching?