2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
That was a pathetic loss. The ball movement got so bad after we went up big, but the laziness / lack of effort on the defensive side is what really got me. I really really can't stand Mirotic.

Agreed. If he isn't hitting 3's, he's worthless. ANd I want to shave that stupid beard.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Announcers: "These are the types of games that get coaches pink slips"

WE CAN ONLY HOPE

Seriously, they hire the only coach who doesn't think Gar Forman is a clown.

Please, please get rid of Hoiberg. Of course, Vinnie del Negro got 3 seasons so I'm sure we'll endure more.

WHY THE F*CK DID THEY FIRE THIBS.

They have this bench and first thing we all do is blame the coach? Please. It's regular season NBA hoops. Once they get to playoffs, they'll have 2 of the best players on the floor. And they'll probably win a series. And then lose the next series just like we all thought heading into the season. Hoiberg isn't a great coach but blaming him for having s***ty players and draft picks that can't earn PT is pretty lazy.

I was pretty surprised to here the talk of "pink" slips from the commentators, especially given Reggie Miller has a personal connection with Hoiberg. I don't like Hoiberg, but the bench play isn't necessarily his fault. I just don't think he is going to maximize our talent. That said, I was glad we sent Niko a message for his crap play (by benching him). We need to get Denzel a run where he has the ball (and if we aren't going to do it on the team, we should let him get a bit of run for a week or two in the Dleague so he can get some minutes and regain confidence in his shot).

At least they weren't outscored in the 4th, haha.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
Seriously, they hire the only coach who doesn't think Gar Forman is a clown.

Please, please get rid of Hoiberg. Of course, Vinnie del Negro got 3 seasons so I'm sure we'll endure more.

WHY THE F*CK DID THEY FIRE THIBS.

Thibs aint really setting the world on fire with Minnesota.

But I can see why youd want a coach who is already overplaying Wiggins/Towns while going 7-18.

That being said, not really sure what the expectations of the Bulls should be. Hoidberg is no Popovich, but the Bulls roster is kind of a Frankenstein's monster. I think the real problem is the front office, the roster is just stuck in the middle with no conceivable way out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
That being said, not really sure what the expectations of the Bulls should be. Hoidberg is no Popovich, but the Bulls roster is kind of a Frankenstein's monster. I think the real problem is the front office, the roster is just stuck in the middle with no conceivable way out.

Exactly how I feel.

I think the team is worth improving at deadlne. Unfortunately our fulcrum right now is probably Mirotic right? And his play at 4 has forced a lot of bad play out of pushing Portis to 5. I don't know if we don't just get better by not creating a scenario where Hoiberg has to play him.

As long as Gar is around, Hoiberg is probably about as good as you are going to get.

Wait until Rondo goes full psycho. A lot had to go right for this roster to be anything better than right around .500. If and when Wade starts showing his age, they might even be worse than last season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Exactly how I feel.

When you have a star, or in this case a star and an aging star, there is always a way out. Its a star league...they aren't going anywhere with this roster, but all of you who wanted to deal Butler for Dunn and a couple other middling picks are looking awfully foolish. Stars in the NBA don't grow on trees.

Gar and company have failed to surround that talent with the right players, but the team will need to pivot and whether it is Chris Paul or others, they need to find a way to replace Rondo with an upgraded point guard plus add more shooting / enhanced talent off the bench. Ideally, you'd upgrade the bigs as well, albeit Lopez / Taj are the least of the Bulls worries. The terrible bench and the fact that Rondo stinks are the major things separating them from being an upper echelon team (I didn't say title contender, cause they'd need to find at a total superstar plus enhance depth and even then, with the Warriors so talented, it will be hard to address).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
When you have a star, or in this case a star and an aging star, there is always a way out. Its a star league...they aren't going anywhere with this roster, but all of you who wanted to deal Butler for Dunn and a couple other middling picks are looking awfully foolish. Stars in the NBA don't grow on trees.

Gar and company have failed to surround that talent with the right players, but the team will need to pivot and whether it is Chris Paul or others, they need to find a way to replace Rondo with an upgraded point guard plus add more shooting / enhanced talent off the bench. Ideally, you'd upgrade the bigs as well, albeit Lopez / Taj are the least of the Bulls worries. The terrible bench and the fact that Rondo stinks are the major things separating them from being an upper echelon team (I didn't say title contender, cause they'd need to find at a total superstar plus enhance depth and even then, with the Warriors so talented, it will be hard to address).

Like really? First off, the deal was going to include Lavine and Dunn. Second, I don't think anyone was jumping at the deal. I want Butler traded cause this team is never going anywhere with him as the number 1 guy but I certainly wasn't jumping at the proposed deal of the Wolves. And calling anyone foolish right now with this team still stuck in the mud is pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Like really? First off, the deal was going to include Lavine and Dunn. Second, I don't think anyone was jumping at the deal. I want Butler traded cause this team is never going anywhere with him as the number 1 guy but I certainly wasn't jumping at the proposed deal of the Wolves. And calling anyone foolish right now with this team still stuck in the mud is pretty ridiculous.

Trading a star in this league is a foolish notion...period. When it is a star who is signed to a mega cheap deal, it is even more foolish. Having Butler makes it far more likely to contend then not having him. I don't believe the Wolves were ever willing to include Lavine. The Boston deal was more likely and even in that deal, you weren't getting loaded...maybe you get lucky on whatever the Nets next pick becomes. I'm not saying front office is great or we are great, but trading Butler would have been an awful thing to do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Trading a star in this league is a foolish notion...period. When it is a star who is signed to a mega cheap deal, it is even more foolish. Having Butler makes it far more likely to contend then not having him. I don't believe the Wolves were ever willing to include Lavine. The Boston deal was more likely and even in that deal, you weren't getting loaded...maybe you get lucky on whatever the Nets next pick becomes. I'm not saying front office is great or we are great, but trading Butler would have been an awful thing to do.

Once again, you're entitled to your opinion on Jimmy and The Bulls, the thing that I'm taking exception to here is calling people foolish like you've been proven right on something so far. There's nobody on this site who thinks Jimmy is a bad basketball player. The people who want him traded don't believe he can be the best player on a championship team, that his ego has outgrown his abilities and that we're going to be stuck in NBA hell with him around. And so far that's all that has been proven, so to call people foolish is foolish. And it was widely reported that the package being offered was Dunn and Lavine cause they wouldn't give up Wiggins but once again you're entitled to believe what you want to.