2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 12:07 AM)
The face we are 3-1 on this roadtrip is amazing. We were without Doug and Rondo the first two games then Doug and Wade tonight.

We desperately need a vet big man though, Portis just isn't cutting it out there

Yeah we've had starts before where it looked like offense was acceptable/good only to run into rude awakening on this trip. Though the improved defense has been better sign.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)
Man. Still don't like Rondo. Not sure Hoiberg does either.

Rondo was absolutely brutal on Saturday and Sunday. That said, both of those games were extremely fun to watch. I don't know why we didn't have Butler have the rock more yesterday. He looked like he could score on every single possession. Lakers had no one who could guard him. Valentine is going to be a player. Has a smoothness to his game. Not saying all pro or something, but he's going to be a good pro.

Rondo needs to assert himself offensively because right now he's passing up too many good looks and then by doing so, putting our offense in a worse spot (I realize he can't shoot, but these are shots that should be high percentage even for him). Rondo will be gone at the end of the year anyway when we try to lure Chris Paul.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Brutal last three minutes of this game

Yeah, they almost completely blew it. Thankfully they didn't. Both games were very fun watches though. Yes, Bulls blew the Clippers game, but there was a lot of good basketball played as well on both nights. Clearly we aren't a championship team with Rondo at the point. My big question is whether Hoiberg and his staff can actually develop and get people better, cause I see a lot of the same from young players who have been with him for a full season now. Doug is clearly better (but I think that is more on the fact that he is healthy and allowed to get minutes), but Niko and Portis are kind of the same players they have always been.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Rondo was absolutely brutal on Saturday and Sunday. That said, both of those games were extremely fun to watch. I don't know why we didn't have Butler have the rock more yesterday. He looked like he could score on every single possession. Lakers had no one who could guard him. Valentine is going to be a player. Has a smoothness to his game. Not saying all pro or something, but he's going to be a good pro.

Rondo needs to assert himself offensively because right now he's passing up too many good looks and then by doing so, putting our offense in a worse spot (I realize he can't shoot, but these are shots that should be high percentage even for him). Rondo will be gone at the end of the year anyway when we try to lure Chris Paul.

Did you see the play on Saturday where Rondo blew right by his man and had a clear lane to the hoop, and then passed it out to Portis at 3 point range, who was immediately guarded?

It was infuriating, Bulls needed a bucket then too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
Did you see the play on Saturday where Rondo blew right by his man and had a clear lane to the hoop, and then passed it out to Portis at 3 point range, who was immediately guarded?

It was infuriating, Bulls needed a bucket then too.

Yeah - And quite a few more of those type of plays. At least a few handfuls a day.

By the way, amazing what a year brings. Our overall PG play is still sub-par, but our depth is so good. Canaan is really solid off the bench as is MCW and I think Valentine will finish the season as good, if not better then any of them. Plus there is Grant who has flashed, but also struggled at times. Either way, a much better spot then we had been in past years. Too bad it took this long to address it (cause it wasn't like we didn't have a few year run where we had a starting PG who was made of glass).

I'm hoping all of the young guards pay a lot of attention to what they can learn from Papa Wade.

It finally hit me....the way Valentine plays the game, it reminds me of Deron Williams. Again, I'm not comparing him to Williams, just talking about how smooth he plays on the court, etc (although it would be fantastic if he could turn into a prime Deron Williams). Overall look / style...not necessarily saying Valentine has done anything to make me claim he will be as good as peak Deron.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
I used to be one of those people that didn't think JB could be the #1 on a championship team. I'm starting to wonder how true that is. Has he reached his ceiling yet?

Doubtful, and he works his ass off to get better...unlike Rose and more like Jordan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
It finally hit me....the way Valentine plays the game, it reminds me of Deron Williams. Again, I'm not comparing him to Williams, just talking about how smooth he plays on the court, etc (although it would be fantastic if he could turn into a prime Deron Williams). Overall look / style...not necessarily saying Valentine has done anything to make me claim he will be as good as peak Deron.

I mean they do have similar hair.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
Who could have possibly imagined he could become this player. I don't think even Garpax saw it

Not me. I thought a taller Tony Allen would be his ceiling. Gettin' Rose the f*** out of here has allowed him to elevate his game that much more.

Edited by Jordan4life