2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bulls look pretty interesting, they way they're winning isn't sustainable (their shot charts are insane), but this is still much more fun to watch than almost any point last year. It's one thing to see how much Rose stalled the offense, it's another to see what it looks like without him.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
The Bulls look pretty interesting, they way they're winning isn't sustainable (their shot charts are insane), but this is still much more fun to watch than almost any point last year. It's one thing to see how much Rose stalled the offense, it's another to see what it looks like without himwith a capable point guard.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
lol, fair point shack.

In the current form he exists as a NBA player, Rose used to choke the life out of the offense so that they would live and die with how well he was playing.

I don't think it's just Rose. Gasol was a ball hog that demanded getting his 20-25 isos a game.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
I don't think it's just Rose. Gasol was a ball hog that demanded getting his 20-25 isos a game.

Rose also was not the type of point guard that would reliably create plays for Gasol either. Not much of a distributor or outside shooter.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Rose also was not the type of point guard that would reliably create plays for Gasol either. Not much of a distributor or outside shooter.

Yes and no. Sometimes they'd have a great series where rose would drive and swing back to wide open gasol on pick and roll. But Rose predetermined most of his moves, wasn't as creative or able to improvise vs a paul/rondo that see what's happening and take what's given.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Yes and no. Sometimes they'd have a great series where rose would drive and swing back to wide open gasol on pick and roll. But Rose predetermined most of his moves, wasn't as creative or able to improvise vs a paul/rondo that see what's happening and take what's given.

Yeah that's what I mean. Rose could improvise plays with his athleticism but not all that reliably (the "who is a true PG" debate that everyone ran into the ground). Before he got hurt this worked wonderfully because he was unstoppable, but in the past couple years his presence tanks the efficiency of the offense.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
Has anyone followed his first few games in NY? Is he sitting out for general soreness yet?

He's just been his usual inefficient self. He's made a couple decent passes, admired a shot here or there, and gotten to the rim a few times. But the rest has been a disaster.

The Joakim Noah deal, though, now that's a BAD DEAL. He's about 6 steps slower than he needs to be. They have run quite a bit of the offense through him, though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
This team is a legit top 5 seed with second round potential.

If everyone stays healthy, of course.

Talent-wise I think they are a middle of the playoffs Eastern conference seed. What will be interesting to see is if the retro-style can still play in this version of the NBA. What I see happening is this version of the Bulls will have a lot of problems playing playoff style basketball. There is a lot of open space and free movement right now, but when the playoffs come around, that disappears. I think they will have major problems moving the basketball, and could be prime for an opening round upset, no matter how highly they seed in the playoffs.

I also haven't seen that this will be a particularly good defensive team, especially come playoff time.

With that said, I am impressed with the early returns on the Bulls. They move the ball well, and seem to have a plan on offense this year, which is a huge change from last year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
I've not been watching a lot of NBA basketball in the last few years, but I am confused by what you mean when you say "retro-style" basketball.

Can you elaborate?

The game has now evolved into teams being three point shooters with everything else being secondary. The way the Bulls are set up with penetration and mid game range being the primary modes of scoring, which is much more like the 90's style of NBA basketball. The Bulls are totally set up around the guard positions, with no real outside shooting to speak of. It is a very Jordan era type team.