2016-2017 NBA Thread

Really the Bulls have the roster of a 90's team, in the 3 point shooting era. This is either going to work brilliantly as the Bulls have exploited something no one else is thinking about because they are too busy chasing what the last champions have done... or they are going to bomb miserably because of chemistry.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
Really the Bulls have the roster of a 90's team, in the 3 point shooting era. This is either going to work brilliantly as the Bulls have exploited something no one else is thinking about because they are too busy chasing what the last champions have done... or they are going to bomb miserably because of chemistry.

I think it'll fall directly in the middle of what you're saying. :lol:

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 02:02 AM)
I only watched bits of the first and then the second half but I was at the bar. Was Niko slotting up at 3 when Butler sat? Has Hoiberg commented on where Snell's minutes are going? Is it going to be Mirotic/McDermott or more three guard sets.

They're going to MCW, the guy that took Snell's spot on the roster ;)

Interesting that Felecio took Portis' minutes and Valentine didn't play at all last night.

I was happy about the rebounding. I was happy with Niko. I was happy about Rondo's play (great facilitator). Lopez is better than I thought he would be (honestly GarPax should get exec of the year honorable mention just for the Rose trade. That was brilliant). And I like that Wade, Rondo and Butler are ok together already. It's a work in progress and they're still feeling each other out, but they didn't look AWFUL like I expected.

Shooting is going to be an issue (39% last night against a team missing 2 of it's 5 starters). But at least they hit some 3's. Wade had 4 last night which is 3 short of his total for the entire year last year.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
They're going to MCW, the guy that took Snell's spot on the roster ;)

Interesting that Felecio took Portis' minutes and Valentine didn't play at all last night.

I was happy about the rebounding. I was happy with Niko. I was happy about Rondo's play (great facilitator). Lopez is better than I thought he would be (honestly GarPax should get exec of the year honorable mention just for the Rose trade. That was brilliant). And I like that Wade, Rondo and Butler are ok together already. It's a work in progress and they're still feeling each other out, but they didn't look AWFUL like I expected.

Shooting is going to be an issue (39% last night against a team missing 2 of it's 5 starters). But at least they hit some 3's. Wade had 4 last night which is 3 short of his total for the entire year last year.

i think they are just taking it slow with his ankle

Portis is an interesting DNP.

I actually thought Rondo looked pretty bad. Wade looked great though, shows what he can still do when fresh.

I found myself pissed off any time he was called for a foul. It didn't seem like that was allowed when he was in a different jersey.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)

I actually thought Rondo looked pretty bad. Wade looked great though, shows what he can still do when fresh.

I found myself pissed off any time he was called for a foul. It didn't seem like that was allowed when he was in a different jersey.

Felicio is a better center than Portis, so it happens.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)

I liked how they played hard. Mirotic had two fantastic offensive plays in the 1st half where instead of shooting, he showed very good moves to get into the paint and get a couple easy two's. That will be huge if that is a new part of his game he has developed. Especially helpful on nights where his shot isn't falling. I also saw more consistent defense out of him then years past. Still some challenges, but he had some very good moments defensively late in that game. I liked how Fred mixed up the rotations to ensure the alpha's (and lets be honest, the real alphas are Wade and Butler...not this Rondo nonsense) had time to be the "alpha". I think that will help balance the dynamic.

Rondo had some nice passing, but you could also see some of the stagnation that could happen with this offense (and it will be why for us to be good, we'll have to out grind / out work teams). Taj came up huge in the 4th. I actually think he was the player of the game. Strong defensive performance and he hit some huge shots late when it looked like Boston might end up winning.

MCW put up a lot of shots, but he looked fantastic defensively and offensively, I can see where he'll be a good fit (especially if he plays aggressive and I think the bench role will be well suited for him). He can also get in a lot of mixed guard sets. I do think it would be ideal to add another shooter and for those knocking Canaan or however you spell it, I thought he was fine. He took the right shot and he has shown he can hit those shots. They didn't fall tonight but they'll fall in the future and that should be a nice dynamic off the bench. Team reminds me a bit of those ACL Bulls teams (where Noah and company willed their way to victory). Those teams had absolutely zero pacing and still were extremely competitive, etc. I'm not saying the defense will be that good, but the offense should be better than those teams and we should clobber these "smaller" teams on the boards. That said, we are going to have some days where nothing is falling and we get whipped. Similarly, I expect there will be days where we play some team that just torches us from 3.

We'll see how everything ultimately evolves. I think the weakest link is PG and if I were the front office, that is one of the spots I would be looking to find a dynamic player (longer term...via FA / Trade / Draft). The other spot would clearly be a front line player (i.e., Anthony Davis / Boogie Cousins / etc). Not saying any of those things are easy to do.

One thing to note.

The attendance for tonights game was said to be at around 21,000 which is a very impresssive number. It seems the Bulls are leading the league in attendance in this short 2017 season so far.

Also, from 2009 : http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/bullstopnbaa...nce_091028.html

Bulls lead in attendance in past decade (this was when the Bulls were terrible).

That is quite interesting to me, how good the Bulls attendance has been.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
Two good performances against two of the top teams in the east. Pretty impressive.

Both had come off back to backs and Boston was missing 2/5th's of their starting line up, so.... it's early.

HOWEVA, they are moving the ball well, shooting well and the defense isn't atrocious. Basically, they're fun to watch again. Now keep it up!

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
Both had come off back to backs and Boston was missing 2/5th's of their starting line up, so.... it's early.

HOWEVA, they are moving the ball well, shooting well and the defense isn't atrocious. Basically, they're fun to watch again. Now keep it up!

It's the start of the season though.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
One thing to note.

The attendance for tonights game was said to be at around 21,000 which is a very impresssive number. It seems the Bulls are leading the league in attendance in this short 2017 season so far.

Also, from 2009 : http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/bullstopnbaa...nce_091028.html

Bulls lead in attendance in past decade (this was when the Bulls were terrible).

That is quite interesting to me, how good the Bulls attendance has been.

The UC has the largest capacity in the league and they never really stopped selling out IIRC.

The UC has the largest capacity in the league and they never really stopped selling out IIRC.

I just can't believe how big of a thing the Bulls are, especially with the lackluster teams after Jordan.

That's pretty awesome.