2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
I wouldn't even worry about them after 2 months. There's going to be some growing pains but come April or so they're going to be deadly. We'll get some fun freak outs from the fans and the National Media though.

Conveniently, we have seen this exact thing before. The 2010-2011 Miami Heat were 9-8 through 17 games.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Golden State will be fine. Them I am not worried about. Even a guy like Durant just spent his entire career working with another superstar. He knows what he needs to do to be successful there.

Yes, Durant played with another superstar and while they were very good, they were never as good as they should have theoritically been, given that their skills weren't exactly complimentary of each other. When you look at the Warriors, you take that dynamic and multiply it . I don't think that challenge gets enough play. It is easier for the dream team guys to take a step back and change (because their longer term paychecks / ego's don't necessarily depend on their individual dream team success) there roles short-term, it is much harder for individual players to not. Bosh is / was a pretty unique guy in how he was willing to do what was needed and even then the Heat weren't near as dominant as people expected.

Now Steph is a better pure passer then Russ so I think he'll do a better job adjusting then Russ and they are all excellent shooters, which should allow for great spacing. That said Durant does play a good chunk of one on one ball and that isn't necessarily the Warriors style. This is a bigger adjustment then most think. It could end up working brilliantly, but there are more risks then people are willing to acknowledge, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Yes, Durant played with another superstar and while they were very good, they were never as good as they should have theoritically been, given that their skills weren't exactly complimentary of each other. When you look at the Warriors, you take that dynamic and multiply it . I don't think that challenge gets enough play. It is easier for the dream team guys to take a step back and change (because their longer term paychecks / ego's don't necessarily depend on their individual dream team success) there roles short-term, it is much harder for individual players to not. Bosh is / was a pretty unique guy in how he was willing to do what was needed and even then the Heat weren't near as dominant as people expected.

Now Steph is a better pure passer then Russ so I think he'll do a better job adjusting then Russ and they are all excellent shooters, which should allow for great spacing. That said Durant does play a good chunk of one on one ball and that isn't necessarily the Warriors style. This is a bigger adjustment then most think. It could end up working brilliantly, but there are more risks then people are willing to acknowledge, imo.

And LeBron as well. Without LeBron deferring quite a bit, at least until the end of games, they would have struggled a lot more.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 05:28 AM)
If Anthony Davis stays healthy and plays like that all year... good god.. :o

Wonder if he got sick of all the Towns talk/hype? Anyway, what a time to be alive unless you're a fan of a pathetic organization like the Knicks/Bulls/Kings. The nba is thriving and is as healthy as it's ever been. The talent level just continues to rise. Ten years from now? oh my goodness. mj/magic might be just another dude in 2026 nba.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 06:23 AM)
Wonder if he got sick of all the Towns talk/hype? Anyway, what a time to be alive unless you're a fan of a pathetic organization like the Knicks/Bulls/Kings. The nba is thriving and is as healthy as it's ever been. The talent level just continues to rise. Ten years from now? oh my goodness. mj/magic might be just another dude in 2026 nba.

I was thinking about this the other day. As new generations came in and had their own greats, it seemed kind of easy to give the "yeah yeah, they were pretty good" but not really include them in the conversation since you were relying on somebody just telling you how good they were.

But we actually have lots of highlights of Jordan/Magic that get used a lot, and younger kids still seem so aware of MJ/Magic/Bird.

I wonder if they both age better than we could have anticipated. There are other reasons beside media: 1) the 60s and 70s still had lingering effects of segregation in sport and 2) we had a professionalization (is that a word?) of sport in the 80s that make it a lot more like bball today than the 60s when they were playing on converses and smoking at halftime.

I guess we will see.

I watched the OKC game. Embiid looks good but plays selfishly right now, but sixers look hungry.

Wish I could have seen twolves, went to bed thinking they won though. Thibs is a failure.

Embiid is fun to watch. He is kind of all over the place right now but also got to remember that this guy has been injured for 2 years so who knows where he'll be in a few months, he's got a chance to be a star. Decent start from AD, hope that dude can stay healthy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Embiid is fun to watch. He is kind of all over the place right now but also got to remember that this guy has been injured for 2 years so who knows where he'll be in a few months, he's got a chance to be a star. Decent start from AD, hope that dude can stay healthy.

I know, I just didn't like when the ball would stop at him and he'd dribble for 10 seconds and turn it over.

But I love his energy for that team. They need to stand up now and assert that they belong in the NBA as players, and he needs to lead that charge.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I know, I just didn't like when the ball would stop at him and he'd dribble for 10 seconds and turn it over.

But I love his energy for that team. They need to stand up now and assert that they belong in the NBA as players, and he needs to lead that charge.

I agree. Shame that Simmons is broke, I would love to watch those two try to grow with each other this year.

Basketball begins tonight!! Bulls vs. Celtics. Will take a month or so to see how the guys are geling, etc., but I hope this team is fun to watch. I don't have any delusional expectations, I'm thinking 4 or 5 seed at best, 9 or 10 seed at worse. Realistically, I think we should be a playoff team. The real interesting part will come in the off-season to see where they pivot from there. I hope they prove me wrong and do better though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Basketball begins tonight!! Bulls vs. Celtics. Will take a month or so to see how the guys are geling, etc., but I hope this team is fun to watch. I don't have any delusional expectations, I'm thinking 4 or 5 seed at best, 9 or 10 seed at worse. Realistically, I think we should be a playoff team. The real interesting part will come in the off-season to see where they pivot from there. I hope they prove me wrong and do better though.

I hope they're either weirdly competitive and lose in the 2nd round, or this ends up being a disaster, Wade plays about 20 games, Rondo becomes a prima donna, the whole thing blows up next year and they get a lottery pick.

Also have to root for sacramento to be decent so we can get that pick.

Scout's take on the Eastern Conference. Good read and I thought the comments on the bulls were interesting (and probably relatively accurate, despite my own internal delusions). I do think ultimately they are slightly better then he says but a lot of truth coming out of this hot take.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/20/nba-scout...tern-conference

Agreed with Brian. It's a bit of a joke that we can say that the Finals will be Cleveland vs. Warriors/Spurs with high probability.

Who in the east can challenge? Boston is getting close, but not quite there (Thomas / Horford / Crowder / etc. lacks something), Toronto has been on the up, but still lacks something. Indiana is very interesting this year.

On the west, OKC got destroyed with Durant leaving, Jazz are on the come up but not there yet, HOU --> maybe, but doubtful, LAC --> meh lots of things have to go perfect, MIN is on the come up.

Lame that there is just 3 teams that, in reality, have a good shot.