Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
We've discussed this regarding Bregman, if we were able to pry Turner from DC, does he play CF for us? 2B? SS?

CF has been a pretty big hole for a while now. If you think Turner can play OK to plus defense there, you put him there for the next six years, and start negotiating a contract extension.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Even Trout?

Trout's trade value is something the baseball world has never seen before. He's averaged 9.6 WAR the past 5 seasons and is only 25 years old.

He is scheduled to be paid a load of money the next four seasons (worth every penny).

He might actually be too valuable to trade

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Joel Sherman tweeted that neither Houston, Washington nor Boston are willing to give the Sox the "anchor player" the Sox are insisting on in a Sale trade.

If that's the case then f*** them all...you keep him.

Mark

I was on this side but now I disagree. Go get your 2 or 3 prospects who will be those anchor type prospects in the next year or so. Your Devers, Kopech, Robles etc. The reason nobody wants to give up your Swansons and Bregmans is because they're already established. I agree that my ask is one of those elites too, but if all teams refuse you have to get creative. Doing nothing continues this White Sox era of no direction.

Edited by Ro Da Don

Joel Sherman tweeted that neither Houston, Washington nor Boston are willing to give the Sox the "anchor player" the Sox are insisting on in a Sale trade.

Mark

Where did you see that? He hasnt tweeted about Sale and any of those teams for 20 hours.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I think it goes a little something like this:

Hahn - "Mike, you can offer Giolito and Robles all day long, but I've got to have Turner."

Rizzo - "If I'm giving up Turner, I can't give you Giolito OR Robles...and I'm not even sure I can get a sign off on Turner, to be honest."

Hahn - "You know our suite #, Mike."

Rizzo - "Rick, you've got to help me offset Turner if I'm going to move him..."

Hahn - "What about Melky?"

Rizzo - "Come on Rick. I need someone who will be here for at least a couple years. Give me Adam."

Hahn - Eaton is not off the table, but then I'm going to need Turner and your top 3-4 guys, Mike."

After what happened between the two teams a few years back, I wonder if a deal for Sale is even possible, let alone a mega deal.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
I disagree. I would take Turner/Robles/Giolito/Lopez plus 3-4 more of their top 10 prospects (Fedde, Kieboom, Dunning, Neuse, Stevenson) for both Sale & Eaton.

It's just really hard to value those two together in a single trade not knowing what Eaton brings alone.

And that is too many top and total prospects for any one organization to give up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
After what happened between the two teams a few years back, I wonder if a deal for Sale is even possible, let alone a mega deal.

Yeah, I've seen you referencing this, but hopefully they can let bygones be bygones. It is in each of their best interests to work together.

Mark

Darn then no deal. Don't cave. Surprised no interest from the Yankees.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Yeah, I've seen you referencing this, but hopefully they can let bygones be bygones. It is in each of their best interests to work together.

It takes a lot of trust to take the time to build a major deal that includes a guy like Chris Sale, maybe even to the detriment of other deals. If you have in mind that the guy across the table is maybe jerking you around, do you still get there? Seems like human nature to me.

I follow Sherman and I don't really recall him ever saying that. Yesterday he said sox don't perceive Boston/LA as major players for sale but Washington was trying but holding back on Turner.

Nothing recent has been communicated from him re: Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
It takes a lot of trust to take the time to build a major deal that includes a guy like Chris Sale, maybe even to the detriment of other deals. If you have in mind that the guy across the table is maybe jerking you around, do you still get there? Seems like human nature to me.

Well, if nothing else good comes from it, hopefully it helps to create more perceived value for Sale.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
I follow Sherman and I don't really recall him ever saying that. Yesterday he said sox don't perceive Boston/LA as major players for sale but Washington was trying but holding back on Turner.

Nothing recent has been communicated from him re: Sale.

That particular poster will never pass up an opportunity for a doom and gloom view. It's not hard to link to a tweet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Well, if nothing else good comes from it, hopefully it helps to create more perceived value for Sale.

Personally I hope this is the case. Maybe if Houston or Boston see this talk the give in and include their star prospect to move ahead of Washington? Who knows. We do know that the Sox have worked well with both Houston and Dombrowski in the past.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Personally I hope this is the case. Maybe if Houston or Boston see this talk the give in and include their star prospect to move ahead of Washington? Who knows. We do know that the Sox have worked well with both Houston and Dombrowski in the past.

Yeah, one thing I'm keeping in mind is all of Boston/Houston/Washington have huge incentive to leak to media that their untouchable is not available, they don't want to be in that bidding war when the Sox call and say "HOU just offered Bregman, do you want an opportunity to top it?"

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Yeah, one thing I'm keeping in mind is all of Boston/Houston/Washington have huge incentive to leak to media that their untouchable is not available, they don't want to be in that bidding war when the Sox call and say "HOU just offered Bregman, do you want an opportunity to top it?"

Sox will keep Sale unless one team ups the offer. When you have multiple teams bidding the price goes up because the Sox know they do not have to settle

I actually would keep him unless we get a premium package in return

Wonder if we misdrafted in 2014 when we selected Carlos Rodon over the now seemingly untouchable Trea Turner, who we are told cannot be included in a trade for perennial Cy Young finalist Chris Sale. Last I looked, Sale >>>> Rodon, at least at this point in time.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Is there a set time in which the Sox and Nats are sitting down for a meeting to discuss Sale?

The only real recent news is Heyman saying Nats were meeting this afternoon to discuss. So , it's like 4pm in MD now so I unno.