The Sexual Assault problem

Brian

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
It really seems like some real change might be happening. I hope it continues.

When Anita Hill came forward many years ago, there was some push, but it died down. Maybe because of social media these days, it will be different, and at least a few more bad actors will be exposed, but I think business as usual will return for most of these predators eventually.

The assholes exposed are just the tip of the iceberg of offenders.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
When Anita Hill came forward many years ago, there was some push, but it died down. Maybe because of social media these days, it will be different, and at least a few more bad actors will be exposed, but I think business as usual will return for most of these predators eventually.

The assholes exposed are just the tip of the iceberg of offenders.

This is good perspective. Hill received such brutal treatment, whereas this time they have been treated with more respect. But of course we don't know if these actresses will find new work or be slowly blacklisted due to being "controversial" or same with the journalistsa gainst Halperin.

You are right, much to happen before we know.

The drug charges against Rose McGowan are really weird.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/rose-mcgowan-a...ein-1202198239/

“Her personal belongings that were left behind from a flight arriving on Jan. 20 tested positive for narcotics,” said Rob Yingling, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police Department. “Our police have attempted to contact Ms. McGowan so that she can appear in a Loudoun County Virginia court to respond to the charge.” The charge against her, he told Deadline, is a felony.

Airport police, he said, “have been issued a bench warrant and entered it into a national law enforcement database.”

I wonder if Kevin Spacey has any ties to those infamous parties thrown by Bryan Singer and Roland Emmerich, where they would invite (young) male talent over to Emmerich's mansion and have sex with them. Those parties are pretty much orgies for gay Hollywood.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
That he was gay or a was a child molester and serial sexual assaulter? I guess I don't run in the same gossip circles.

All of the above. I have friends who worked with him that he hit on and asked to stay over, etc. It was pretty well established that he's into younger guys. Like, to those of us in this industry this was pretty much a "yup" story.

By younger guys do you mean minors though? I know people that exclusively date women under 25 and we say they are only into younger women, but I don't assume they ... would hit on minors.

Your story seems to be that everyone knew he was gay. But he's not in trouble for being gay, he's in trouble for in this case molesting a 14 year old boy. If people knew that he did this a lot...shame on them

Did this gentleman who Spacey supposedly made a pass at actually state that he was indeed molested? Or that he knew Spacey "wanted to get in his pants," or whatever phrase he used?

Not defending anyone, just curious whether his behavior actually rose to the level of molestation or sexual assault, as some folks have alluded to.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
Did this gentleman who Spacey supposedly made a pass at actually state that he was indeed molested? Or that he knew Spacey "wanted to get in his pants," or whatever phrase he used?

Not defending anyone, just curious whether his behavior actually rose to the level of molestation or sexual assault, as some folks have alluded to.

This is the account. It luckily stopped with Rapp pushing away and leaving. This is from cnn article.

"He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don't, like, squirm away initially, because I'm like, 'What's going on?' And then he lays down on top of me."

"He was trying to seduce me," Rapp told the website. "I don't know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually." He said he felt Spacey "pressing into me" and "tightening his arms."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)

The "gentleman" was 14 years old at the time. Does it really matter?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
The "gentleman" was 14 years old at the time. Does it really matter?

I mean... Yes? Obviously not defending, but there's a difference between making a move and the kid rebuffing it and actual rape.

As for shame on us, there's nothing any of us could've said or done that would've meant anything. Rapp has credibility and name recognition. That's the difference there.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 10:23 PM)
I mean... Yes? Obviously not defending, but there's a difference between making a move and the kid rebuffing it and actual rape.

As for shame on us, there's nothing any of us could've said or done that would've meant anything. Rapp has credibility and name recognition. That's the difference there.

There's a reason I asked what you actually heard, it's still unclear. It is very shocking to me that it would be an open secret that Spacey was predatory toward children. And look at Rapp in 86...he was not a "younger guy" he was a kid. And I just doubt if he did that it was an isolated incident. People shrugging shoulders at stuff like that is how situations like Penn St. happen.

I mean seriously what would people's reaction be if at a party they went upstairs and caught a family friend on top of a 14 year old boy at midnight after the friend had been drinking. It would be taken seriously I'm sure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
There's a reason I asked what you actually heard, it's still unclear. It is very shocking to me that it would be an open secret that Spacey was predatory toward children. And look at Rapp in 86...he was not a "younger guy" he was a kid. And I just doubt if he did that it was an isolated incident. People shrugging shoulders at stuff like that is how situations like Penn St. happen.

I mean seriously what would people's reaction be if at a party they went upstairs and caught a family friend on top of a 14 year old boy at midnight after the friend had been drinking. It would be taken seriously I'm sure.

If it were isolated, Spacey would have just denied it. He knows there are more out there. I tend to believe Jeremy Piven did what his accuser said, but he probably doesn't have the other skeletons in the closet so he can get away with a denial.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)

I dunno, I guess I've always assumed that this sort of thing happens in circles where the powerful, wealthy, famous, etc run. Obviously it happens outside of those circles as well, but when you have people with power, influence and money, people will look the other way a lot of times in order to share in those things.

I by no means want to get into a big debate about human sexuality, but humans will be humans, and drunken humans will be even worse. Luckily, most of us tend to obey some of these arbitrary laws meant to protect certain members of society, but not everyone will. And if you are someone that has something to offer those around you, a lot of secrets are kept.

I know it isn't a hot take by any means, but it doesn't shock me at all that some of the worst in humans tends to come out in excess when you allow people to feast on power, wealth and influence.