4/16 Sox at A’s

flavum

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue with Yoan is that while he has excellent feel for the strike zone, I'm starting to think he has no gameplan whatsoever at the plate. I'm not sure that he really knows what pitches he likes to hit and doesn't like to hit, what pitches he's likely to get in a given situation, things like that. The fault there is of course on our coaching and development, but it's a somewhat fixable problem. It may also be the case that our attempts to get him thinking that way are kind of paralyzing him where he's constantly caught in between.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:17 AM)
If ever there was a team that could win less than 40 games it might be this one.

I was called out for saying the Sox would be 25-66 after 81 games. Now I am beginning to think that's optimistic.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 05:30 AM)
The issue with Yoan is that while he has excellent feel for the strike zone, I'm starting to think he has no gameplan whatsoever at the plate. I'm not sure that he really knows what pitches he likes to hit and doesn't like to hit, what pitches he's likely to get in a given situation, things like that. The fault there is of course on our coaching and development, but it's a somewhat fixable problem. It may also be the case that our attempts to get him thinking that way are kind of paralyzing him where he's constantly caught in between.

You're making it too complex. He's late on fastballs and isn't adjusting his swing to the plane of offspeed pitches. KLaw has warned that his swing could lead him vulnerable to this very thing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 10:30 PM)

Jake, don’t you think with this feel for the strike zone, which I totally agree with, it’s just a matter of time? Time which is on our side at the moment?

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:32 PM)
As a side note, if we end up dumping Narvaez in favor of Smith it will be one the all time low-key stupid decisions we have ever made

James Fegan tweeted that the "rehab assignment" is basically just Smith staying in AAA until one of our catchers gets hurt or something

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:30 PM)
I was called out for saying the Sox would be 25-66 after 81 games. Now I am beginning to think that's optimistic.

They have probably less than 5 major league quality players currently. I can't think of anyone other than Lopez, Abreu and Jones.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:32 AM)
You're making it too complex. He's late on fastballs and isn't adjusting his swing to the plane of offspeed pitches. KLaw has warned that his swing could lead him vulnerable to this very thing.

These aren't mutually exclusive. At any rate, there's a very simple problem that has appeared moreso this year than last that his decisions on which pitches to swing at and which to take have been very bad. And it seems to me that his lateness on heaters is probably because he can't make a decision.

Hope for strides from Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, and Fulmer, and also that Rodon comes back ok from his shoulder surgery. Also need Jones, Abreu and Rondon to be tradable in July. That is all I hope for this season.

I feel like a moron to have thought this was an 81 win team this spring. LMFAO.

Also, no need to waste Kopech or Eloy service time on this trainwreck of a season

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Richie @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:39 PM)
Okay, yeah... uhm... I'm on the "this is going to be a really long year" wagon now. lol

As long as Lopez continues to pitch well, Giolito and Moncada get it together, Fulmer, Anderson, etc. I'll gladly take the downs.