5.24 Game Thread Sox vs Orioles Series Finale, 1:10 first pitch

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Gio's side sessions must look a whole lot better than when he gets to the mound or they wouldn't bother throwing him to the wolves.

And he only really seems to have issues in the first two innings. It's mostly mental. Once he gets his mechanics comfortable he cruises.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm worried that Giolito will have an Engel problem. Where even when he "fixes" it, it will just be a countdown until he undoes it with tinkering.

I think it's obvious Sox are going to have to spend money on an better than average starting pitcher this offseason.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Especially when the Orioles were a threat to hit fans in the outfield bleachers with every fastball thrown.  

That was better than walking in a couple of runs. At least they were near the plate.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Even with Gio (hopefully) being sent down, I still think Rodon pitches 2-3 times in AAA before he gets the call up. 

I don't think he'll need that many. We'll see by how many pitches they let him throw this weekend.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I think it's obvious Sox are going to have to spend money on an better than average starting pitcher this offseason.

Yeah, I can't complain, it will be nice to have Kershaw.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They need to go to the Bevington rule. Walk 3 guys are you're out of the game, even if no one is warming up.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

And he only really seems to have issues in the first two innings. It's mostly mental. Once he gets his mechanics comfortable he cruises.

Well to be fair it isn’t all that stressful anymore after you are down 6-0 and the team is pretty much out of the game

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well to be fair it isn’t all that stressful anymore after you are down 6-0 and the team is pretty much out of the game

It is for him. I'm sure his really ticked at himself and that makes it that much worse.

What's the line from the replacements, "it's like being stuck in quicksand, the harder you work the deeper you sink."

Just now, Insp said:

How could Omar not swing on a fast ball down the middle?

Gonna be painful watching him get majority of starts rest of the year. I'm not sure what he did this offseason, but he looks to have forgotten how to play baseball.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think they are going to have to spend pretty big on two starters if they are serious about competing in 2020. Most of the Sox young arms have been over-hyped big time it appears. 

1 minute ago, Insp said:

How could Omar not swing on a fast ball down the middle?

I think it's just too hot out for the Sox to play well today. They don't do well if it's too cold or too hot. They only play well in comfortable weather. Giollito can't feel the CB in the cold and the FB is too slippery when he sweats.

Just now, fathom said:

He legit isn't even trying to frame low pitches. It's mind-boggling the coaching staff is allowing this lack of effort.

That's too much work in this heat.