**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

1 minute ago, Brian said:

LoL. As if a horror movie would get recognized. "A Quiet Place" was ignored IMO

It's clear they've completely sold out due to the low ratings. Black Panther is good for a comic book movie. It's not Oscar material. I thought Hereditary was good, but not great. With that said, Collette was absolutely tremendous. 

3 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Melissa McCarthy over Toni Collette. The Oscars continue to be an embarrassment. 

I’m going quickly posit a guess you haven’t even watched the movie she is nominated for...she’s definitely no Amy Schumer.  She can do drama quite effectively.

She won’t win, but it was a really strong performance.

UK actresses that are not headline stars sometimes get overlooked, that has been Collette’s fate much of her career.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m going quickly posit a guess you haven’t even watched the movie she is nominated for...she’s definitely no Amy Schumer.  She can do drama quite effectively.

She won’t win, but it was a really strong performance.

UK actresses that are not headline stars sometimes get overlooked, that has been Collette’s fate much of her career.

And why would you "posit" that guess? 

12 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

And why would you "posit" that guess? 

Because if you had taken the time to watch it, you would have a different opinion unless you deliberately refused to be open-minded (like many as far as A Star is Born) goes.

The last movie even similar to Hereditary to get Oscar praise was probably The Hours, and even that’s not a close approximation.  Rom com and horror and most sci fi just don’t usually end up contending, that’s just the way it has always been.  Have to go back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:56 PM, TaylorStSox said:

Also LOL @ Bohemian Rhapsody, Vice and Black Panther being nominated for Best Picture. What a joke. 

Vice being nominated for best picture (probably some political motivation behind it) is so mind-boggling. That movie was one of the worst I've ever seen and I'm not kidding. The production was flat out terrible

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Because if you had taken the time to watch it, you would have a different opinion unless you deliberately refused to be open-minded (like many as far as A Star is Born) goes.

The last movie even similar to Hereditary to get Oscar praise was probably The Hours, and even that’s not a close approximation.  Rom com and horror and most sci fi just don’t usually end up contending, that’s just the way it has always been.  Have to go back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I wonder if you ever consider how patronizing you are. I know you like to pretend you're high brow, but the rest of us also like films. Some of probably studied film in school too. Jesus christ. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I wonder if you ever consider how patronizing you are. I know you like to pretend you're high brow, but the rest of us also like films. Some of probably studied film in school too. Jesus christ. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/hereditary-toni-collette-oscars-awards-1201971449/

Then I'll simply answer it this way.

If the last three movies I've seen are Escape Room, Bumblebee and A Dog's Way Home...somehow that doesn't exactly constitute "high brow."

Hereditary was a very well-done movie in that genre, Collette is always very solid.  That said, you never even answered the question whether you saw "Can You Ever Forgive Me?"

You can argue on behalf of Hereditary all you want, but to put down McCarthy (and I don't even like her that much, even though many do enjoy movies like Bridesmaids and The Heat) in this particular case isn't warranted.

It's also not like you can even say they picked the "prettier/Hollywood ingenue" actress in this case.

As far as Black Panther goes...it was one of the most entertaining/mainstream movies of the year, and the Academy Awards can't draw an audience if they're completely immersed in award films like The Artist or Roma.   They have to select some more popular fare, one of the most obvious examples of this was District 9.

Edited by caulfield12

If Beale Street Could Talk is definitely worth checking out...pretty sure the low box office/awareness level is what hurt it’s Oscar chances, but then almost nobody watched The Artist (past years) or Roma, and The Favourite hasn’t exactly raked in the dough, either.

Glass was “okay” for the first 75 minutes, but that ending just makes one aggravated with the director (yet again).

Still undecided whether The Upside gets thumbs up down, it’s right on the borderline.  A little Kevin Hart goes a long way, but there are a lot of people out there who seems to like him because most of his movies end up turning a profit other than that recent one with Tiffany Haddish, Night School I think it was.

Edited by caulfield12

Been watching a few recently on Netflix nearly all apocalyptic genre . Considering there were only two actors for nearly the whole movie IO was very good , Birdbox very good , Annihilation so, so , Extinction interesting take on the future . Last film or should I say films was the Coen brothers The Ballard of Buster Scruggs , excellent .

Went to see Spider-Verse last week but the sound was screwed up so they offered a pass to come back or just go see something else. Bohemian Rhapsody was about to start so I just went there.

It was ok. No way should it be nominated for best picture though. I can see the Malek nomination as justified but also curious how Sasha Baron Cohen would've been.

5 hours ago, Bazox said:

Been watching a few recently on Netflix nearly all apocalyptic genre . Considering there were only two actors for nearly the whole movie IO was very good , Birdbox very good , Annihilation so, so , Extinction interesting take on the future . Last film or should I say films was the Coen brothers The Ballard of Buster Scruggs , excellent .

Souns like you're on the same routine I am. I loved IO and Birdbox. Thought Extinction was terrible. Havent watched Annihilation yet. Ballad of Buster Scruggs was the best movie I watched in 2018. So good.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Souns like you're on the same routine I am. I loved IO and Birdbox. Thought Extinction was terrible. Havent watched Annihilation yet. Ballad of Buster Scruggs was the best movie I watched in 2018. So good.

What's up next ?

• Brian changed the title to **Movies that we Watch** Thread