Sox Interested in Marco Gonzales

CWSpalehoseCWS

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

But what are you willing to give up for higher? I'm thinking that Robert (obviously), Madrigal, and Vaughn are the likely untouchables at the moment.

Sorry, I mean if we’re looking to add a starter via trade, it better be someone with the TOR upside.  Otherwise, just use our endless money buy a mid rotation this offseason.

That being said, I 100% agree that we likely don’t have the chips to add a legit TOR starter via trade without having to give up a Madrigal or Vaugh which is a no go for me.

• Like 1

These two reports suggest Hahn is sneakily considering building next year's team, now, which actually wouldn't be a bad idea rather than the traditional flip of Colome, Abreu, Jay and McCann to net more prospects. I'm not even including Bummer because he's not getting traded.

Think about it if we acquire these two players we are said to be interested in, on paper next year's bullpen is set and we add a starter to the mix. I would love if Hahn was thinking about a contender next year! Please be true!

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

27, left-handed, under control through the 2023 season. Depending on the price, I can get on board with this (as they do need to add MLB caliber starters to the rotation). Still need to add a top of the rotation arm with him though.

I guess my view is why not just sign a guy like Alex Wood in the offseason to fill this role?  Marco Gonzalez is not a Ivan Nova type acquisition like @Moan4Yoan is implying, but when you’re sitting on like $20M in payroll commitments mid-rotation starters shouldn’t require giving up assets other than cash.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess my view is why not just sign a guy like Alex Wood in the offseason to fill this role?  Marco Gonzalez is not a Ivan Nova type acquisition like @Moan4Yoan is implying, but when you’re sitting on like $20M in payroll commitments mid-rotation starters shouldn’t require giving up assets other than cash.

Yeah, I'm good with that too. Maybe not Wood, but someone. Even if it's a one or two year, higher salary deal that other teams with low payroll have to do (Rays and Morton as an example). Just add MLB caliber arms so we don't need to continue shuttling guys down from Triple-A to the Majors.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gonzalez is mediocre to bad.  He’s a weak #5 pitcher whereas Alex Wood can be signed for just money and could be a #3 starter.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s simple, they’ve never liked getting involved in free agency negotiations with pitchers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah, I'm good with that too. Maybe not Wood, but someone. Even if it's a one or two year, higher salary deal that other teams with low payroll have to do (Rays and Morton as an example). Just add MLB caliber arms so we don't need to continue shuttling guys down from Triple-A to the Majors.

And don’t get me wrong, if the price is cheap, I’m fine with adding Marco Gonzalez to add some stability.  Just unlikely the M’s will just give him away.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Gonzalez is mediocre to bad.  He’s a weak #5 pitcher whereas Alex Wood can be signed for just money and could be a #3 starter.

Lol...it’s like the moment OneDog gets the ban-hammer you step up your irrational hate game to fill his place.  Marco Gonzalez is currently 29th in fWAR amongst qualified starters (one spot behind your beloved Bumgarner).   Calling him a “weak #5 starter” is one of the worst takes I have ever seen on this site in years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Including Pre-arb and arb they’re at $55M, the difference between this guy and a vet arm is likely at least $10M a year for the next 4 years, money we could spend elsewhere. If the cost here is a couple of guys outside of Top 10 and that frees us money for us to legitimately go after Cole or JDM, sign me up.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Including Pre-arb and arb they’re at $55M, the difference between this guy and a vet arm is likely at least $10M a year for the next 4 years, money we could spend elsewhere. If the cost here is a couple of guys outside of Top 10 and that frees us money for us to legitimately go after Cole or JDM, sign me up.

For 2020?  What are you basing that number on?

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=15467&position=P

Some of his baseline stats like K9and BB9 are a little worse...but for these two years, he has been the precise definition of a 3 fWAR starter.

On paper, as a free agent, you’d pay at least $20-25 million per year.  Most fans aren’t as familiar with him, especially since he plays most of his games at 9 p.m., so the idea of him being of a similar value to Quintana in 2017 is kinda shocking.

The fact that he’s got three arbitration years remaining, that means the ask is going to be something like Lopez or Dunning, Walker and Adolfo.  We can throw Fulmer or Hansen into it, as well...Collins, etc.

The Cubs have had Quintana for 2 1/2 seasons and hold the option for 2020.  He’s a similar age 27 as Q, throws LH, former first round draft pick.  Their repertoires aren’t even that different, as both are finesse pitchers.

He’s also arguably been pitching better than Quintana in 2017...and not on an obvious downtrend or at least plateauing in terms of his career trajectory.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Would rather see the Sox go after Greinke or Stroman... which would require more to give up but much better pitchers. 

I'd be fine taking Greinke on as a salary dump meaning we wouldn't have to give up big pieces of the furure, but Stroman only has a year of control left.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That $25M is just an estimated based on averag

Usually they are pretty close, Rodon would get less than expected, but McCann would be getting more. I don’t see that number move too much either direction.

With all the Pre-Arb and arb costs, and potentially bringing back Abreu, that money dries up pretty quickly.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs