JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

18 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would be considered a price that is "not having to pay way too much" for Joc Pederson?  In other words, what would you be willing to part with to acquire Joc that would make that move smarter than just signing a 1 year stopgap (Calhoun, for example)?

I could see the White Sox trading anyone in their system beneath Vaughn and I could see them making said move for 1 year rentals if the price was right. Calhoun is similarly a 1 year trade stopgap. What the White Sox would be willing to part with and what I would be willing to part with have, historically, been 2 very different things. 

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You can see it  because you don't have a high opinion of the Sox FO ? Is that most of the reason why you think that ? You can't even play the guy against lefties.

My opinions of the Sox FO isn't high either but it just seems so obvious it's not a move they should be making. Look at Alonso , Shields, Samardzija. Some of the worst trades in MLB history are usually trading  young players for a veteran. The express purpose of the rebuild was to acquire depth in the minors that could furnish the big league club for years to come for sustained success. Is it really the time to abandon that ?

I think trading young players for veterans is very much ingrained in this front office and they've had to hold themselves back from doing it the last few years (even still did it last year for Colome). I don't think it's a particularly effective strategy, as you note, but it's entirely reasonable to expect the White Sox to consider that option.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think trading young players for veterans is very much ingrained in this front office and they've had to hold themselves back from doing it the last few years (even still did it last year for Colome). I don't think it's a particularly effective strategy, as you note, but it's entirely reasonable to expect the White Sox to consider that option.

Don't forget Alex Call for the privilege of paying Alonso $9/10M a year and giving a division rival more payroll space and contributing to the Manny Machado disaster.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While I strongly believe you are correct about no National league team signing JDM , I strongly disagree that the Sox would trade for  a 1 year rental. I just don't see what purpose it serves unless you think the Sox can get to the World Series next year or think they can resign him. I think both are 100-1 long shots and therefore highly unlikely.

They wanted to trade for him last year with two years in control when competing was going to be a long-shot.  Right or wrong, I could definitely see us revisiting that.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If he opts-out, JDM’s market will literally be 3 or 4 teams and my guess is Boras will be eager to get something ASAP.  This won’t drag out like the Machado process IMO.

But here’s the question. At what price does JDM become enticing for an NL team? You can’t convince me that an NL team wouldn’t be interested “if” the price tag was say $17M AAV over 4 years.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do you think JDM can play RF and be a 3 win player?  In 2016, he played a ton of RF and was worth 2.3 fWAR.  His offensive & defensive stats were more or less the same as last year.  The difference is he’s now 32 and only going to worse.  Additionally, there are plenty of stories out there that he’s unable to play the field on a daily basis and stay healthy.  No NL team in their right mind is going to sign him to play RF for the next three or four years without having the DH spot as an insurance policy.  It’s simply not going to happen.

See Soler, Jorge (2019)

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But here’s the question. At what price does JDM become enticing for an NL team? You can’t convince me that an NL team wouldn’t be interested “if” the price tag was say $17M AAV over 4 years.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay that if I was an NL team and not sure that he can stay healthy playing the field every day.

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't forget Alex Call for the privilege of paying Alonso $9/10M a year and giving a division rival more payroll space and contributing to the Manny Machado disaster.

I have to hand it to the Indians regarding their trades  recently. If you want to know want I mean just look at how they acquired Jordan Luplow from the Pirates in November 2018  and Oscar Mercado from the Cardinals in July 2018 with prospect for prospect trades which are pretty rare.  Then the blockbuster with the Padres/Reds getting Franmil Reyes trading from a position of depth (starting pitching) for more youngsters. These were victories for their scouting departments and Front Office and taking a page from the Rays handbook of acquiring rising young talent with strong AAA performances who won't hurt you in the field either in the Luplow and Mercado trades.

This is the way to improve no matter what your position in the standings.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Maybe at a $10M AAV?  No NL team is signing him to a 4/$68M contract.

39 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It didn’t stop a “smart” Dodgers organization from giving a far more injury prone AJ Pollock $60M guaranteed...

I think you are on the wrong end of your arguments for an aging big guy like Martinez playing the OF or even 1st base very much. For an NL team to get their money's worth for him he would have to play the field often  and he is just not capable of that any more. Pollock had 2 Gold Gloves in his past . Martinez never came close to one, Last year JDM played 38 games in the OF, 2018 57 games. Despite the crowded Dodger OF Pollock played  80 of his 86 total games played in the OF

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seeing some speculation the Yankees will go after JDM.  I obviously like him more than Encarnacion, but EE makes some sense on a short-term deal with the Sox.

They are at the tax or a little above with arb factored in and need pitching.  I don't know how they do that, or why they would since they have 3 DH's already on the roster.

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is just a crazy comp.  Pollock is at least good defensively when on the field.  JDM is a fucking butcher man and would also get hurt.

Pollock has also had a grand total of 1 season of 3 fWAR or better in his ENTIRE career. Yet, $60M guaranteed. I don’t know why the risk of JDM getting hurt playing the field is equal to or greater than the risk of Pollock getting hurt. Just look at their histories.

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you are on the wrong end of your arguments for an aging big guy like Martinez playing the OF or even 1st base very much. For an NL team to get their money's worth for him he would have to play the field often  and he is just not capable of that any more. Pollock had 2 Gold Gloves in his past . Martinez never came close to one, Last year JDM played 38 games in the OF, 2018 57 games. Despite the crowded Dodger OF Pollock played  80 of his 86 total games played in the OF

Where does this narrative come from? Last season he played 57 games in the field and 146 games total. He seems to be a guy that takes care of his body. Since when did playing LF or RF become so physically taxing? They’re not asking him to play catcher for God’s sake.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Where does this narrative come from? Last season he played 57 games in the field and 146 games total. He seems to be a guy that takes care of his body. Since when did playing LF or RF become so physically taxing? They’re not asking him to play catcher for God’s sake.

The Boston reporter said he couldn’t play consecutive games in the outfield without being very sore

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It came from some people quoting how sore JDM was when playing consecutive games in the field and having back problems either because of that or just back problem in general since swinging a bat really isn't great for your back also. There's also an issue with a particular foot problem that the Red Sox saw fit to include in a very unique contract when they signed him.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It came from some people quoting how sore JDM was when playing consecutive games in the field and having back problems either because of that or just back problem in general since swinging a bat really isn't great for your back also. There's also an issue with a particular foot problem that the Red Sox saw fit to include in a very unique contract when they signed him.

I haven’t seen the articles you’re referencing but for the love of God it’s corner outfield. From a physical standpoint, LF or 1b are the least demanding positions in baseball after DH.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I haven’t seen the articles you’re referencing but for the love of God it’s corner outfield. From a physical standpoint, LF or 1b are the least demanding positions in baseball after DH.

He did have back problems all year and if you have ever had a bad back there's no telling what could set it off.  He missed time in April and May because of it. Then had back spasms in June from running the bases and if that can happen it also can happen from running in the OF and more so I would imagine on a regular basis

This is from an article dated 8/6 2019 : https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20190806/back-problems-for-jd-martinez-becoming-sore-spot-for-red-sox

“I think the only red flag – if you call it that – is J.D.’s back,” Cora said. “You have to be cautious about playing him in the outfield.”

Martinez worked as the designated hitter for the 24th time in his last 26 games and the 28th in his last 32. He’s appeared in the field only twice since the All-Star break and might not do so again in the immediate future.

This is not the link about the reporter who said he was sore but that is somewhere in either this thread or another one.  I can't do all the research for you. ;)