Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dude has been here for years.  Can we at least spell his name right?  It isn't even that hard of a name either.

My phone autocorrects Engel to Engle for some reason, not sure if his did that. I think at this point you have to start Engel in RF. Neither guy can hit well, but elite defense in the outfield is a huge bonus. We wouldn't have to cringe when a ball is hit to the outfield, unless it is at the third base line and Robert can't run over to it. 

28 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

My phone autocorrects Engel to Engle for some reason, not sure if his did that. I think at this point you have to start Engel in RF. Neither guy can hit well, but elite defense in the outfield is a huge bonus. We wouldn't have to cringe when a ball is hit to the outfield, unless it is at the third base line and Robert can't run over to it. 

I feel like Mazara has been fine defensively in RF.  I think you start Adam in RF against LHP, and keep running Mazara out there against RHP.  I've said it when he was acquired and still believe it now - Mazara is only going to be here for a season.  He is going to be non-tendered, and the Sox will move in another direction in RF in 2021.  I'd stay far away from Pederson, and alot of teams will be interested in Springer, but I feel like you have to at least put your best foot forward there.  Sox just get so right handed again with Springer - perhaps re-exploring acquiring a Mets OF is the best bet.  

It is pretty sad that so many sox outfield prospects busted. Robert and eloy are really good of course but they had lots of prospects behind them (Gonzalez, walker, basabe, Rutherford, adolpho) and they all stalled in development or got hurt.

Definitely thought one of them would step up but didn't really happen.

Really the system does not have much depth except for dh/1b so I think maybe an external solution was needed.

I actually liked the mazara trade, they did not give up much and got a former top prospect that maybe with a little swing tweak could have had a breakout. Did not work out but was worth the gamble.

7 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It is pretty sad that so many sox outfield prospects busted. Robert and eloy are really good of course but they had lots of prospects behind them (Gonzalez, walker, basabe, Rutherford, adolpho) and they all stalled in development or got hurt.

Really the system does not have much depth except for dh/1b so I think maybe an external solution was needed.

I actually liked the mazara trade, they did not give up much and got a former top prospect that maybe with a little swing tweak could have had a breakout. Did not work out but was worth the gamble.

I agree - it was definitely worth the gamble.  He could still figure it out a bit, but probably not enough to retain him after 2020 for 1 more season of arb in the $8-9M range.  

Also, I am not ready to completely give up on Adofo.  I think he still has a chance.  

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like Mazara has been fine defensively in RF.  I think you start Adam in RF against LHP, and keep running Mazara out there against RHP.  I've said it when he was acquired and still believe it now - Mazara is only going to be here for a season.  He is going to be non-tendered, and the Sox will move in another direction in RF in 2021.  I'd stay far away from Pederson, and alot of teams will be interested in Springer, but I feel like you have to at least put your best foot forward there.  Sox just get so right handed again with Springer - perhaps re-exploring acquiring a Mets OF is the best bet.  

Engel's defense is elite, that is the difference. I understand why they are playing Mazara but if he isn't hitting by playoff time I'd make the switch. I'm not too concerned with handed balance as long as the guy can hit. I'd take a right hander that can hit well over a lesser hitting lefty. 

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Isn’t it more accurate to say it hasn’t worked out yet?

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Engel's defense is elite, that is the difference. I understand why they are playing Mazara but if he isn't hitting by playoff time I'd make the switch. I'm not too concerned with handed balance as long as the guy can hit. I'd take a right hander that can hit well over a lesser hitting lefty. 

Engel is a very good defensive OF - but he cannot hit RHP at all.  Career .201/.260/.313 hitter across just under 800 PA.  

Mazara is a career .270/.336/.457 hitter against RHP across 1650 PA.  

BIG difference.  The platoon works fine, but obviously isn't a long term situation. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Engel is a very good defensive OF - but he cannot hit RHP at all.  Career .201/.260/.313 hitter across just under 800 PA.  

Mazara is a career .270/.336/.457 hitter against RHP across 1650 PA.  

BIG difference.  The platoon works fine, but obviously isn't a long term situation. 

Remember we are only talking this season. Where overall, Engel has been the better player offensively and defensively. 

33 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Remember we are only talking this season. Where overall, Engel has been the better player offensively and defensively. 

Engel still sucks against righties. That hasn’t changed. He shouldn’t be playing against RHP. Admittedly Nomar hasn’t been good against RHP either in 2020 SSS, but there is a decent track record there. 

7 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's a totally measured and reasonable approach.  Get that sh*t out of here

I hated this trade, in this thread, consistently, but even I'd say there's not a single conclusion one can draw from this season. If you wanted him this year, bring him back next year and give him one more shot. Play the hot hand this year because why not, what's the loss?

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's a totally measured and reasonable approach.  Get that sh*t out of here

This team seems like a good fit for him. This is only his age 25 season. If you study his career stats, they scream "on track to have a nice career." We shall see but I can see why a GM would take a shot with him still. He had 101 RBI his second year in the league.

4 hours ago, asindc said:

Isn’t it more accurate to say it hasn’t worked out yet?

Yeah, he could still get better. This year he is clearly his career worst, he looks lost and the swing long and out of sync.

Historically he always was a platoon guy but he was decent against rhp. 

He could figure it out again but this year is not much time to make adjustments.