2020 NBA Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I can't blame Harden. He's given Houston everything and the new owner has burned that franchise to the ground in record time.

George, Kawhi (Spurs edition), and Kyrie are one thing. Harden is another.

He signed a 5 year deal, he could have signed the 1 and 1s at that point in his career. Sucks to suck.

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

I can't blame Harden. He's given Houston everything and the new owner has burned that franchise to the ground in record time.

George, Kawhi (Spurs edition), and Kyrie are one thing. Harden is another.

What?  Like Houston never made every possible attempt to surround him with complimentary players?  Daryl Morey kicked the can down the road every year for a shot.  Now Harden wants to be a part of a different super team?  Sorry, fuck him. 

I wish there were more superstars that stayed in with their original team and tried to win rather than team hop and ring chase with their buddies. 

I'm sure that if Karl Malone, John Stockton and Charles Barkley wanted to team up and beat Jordan they could have done that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wish there were more superstars that stayed in with their original team and tried to win rather than team hop and ring chase with their buddies. 

I'm sure that if Karl Malone, John Stockton and Charles Barkley wanted to team up and beat Jordan they could have done that. 

Karl Malone would never join forces for a title shot.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Karl Malone would never join forces for a title shot.

Haha....he tried with the Lakers in 2004 and it didn't work. Gary Payton was a part of that. The difference is that Malone and Payton were 40 years old by then. 

It's one thing when you're ringless and at the end.....it's another to do it in your prime. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Well the Giannis pipe dream has busted. He resigned with the Bucks. 

I don't think it really did. Look at Harden, look at others. He got his supermax and deep down knows that if he wants out - in the future he will just leverage himself out and demand a trade. That just means if you are the Bulls - you can't straight up sign him in FA - you need to move assets to get him, but still, the player can put a lot of pressure on the opposing teams.  

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know it's likely not, but it reads like Vonleh got waived for getting COVID.

God I wish they kept him over Kornet.

Well that is why they waived him. He was a camp invite and now won’t be at camp.

Side note on pre-season game 2: Jason and Stacey are a nice listen together.  The humor is actually funny, unlike Jason with Stone.  I'd even go so far as to say that Jason is better at basketball than baseball.  I'm just conjecturing.  Adam Amin is fine, too.

Don't beat me up too badly for saying that. 😀

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Side note on pre-season game 2: Jason and Stacey are a nice listen together.  The humor is actually funny, unlike Jason with Stone.  I'd even go so far as to say that Jason is better at basketball than baseball.  I'm just conjecturing.  Adam Amin is fine, too.

Don't beat me up too badly for saying that. 😀

The difference is Stacey King isn't a pretentious jerk. Jason sounds great with literally anyone else, even Bill Waltons drugged out self. Steve Stone is the problem.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The difference is Stacey King isn't a pretentious jerk. Jason sounds great with literally anyone else, even Bill Waltons drugged out self. Steve Stone is the problem.

I think you went too far about Stone, but he does have a way of expressing himself that makes it seem like you said.  It might be the overly fancy vocabulary he uses.  Walton's brain?  I want to see an MRI of that one.  Loved him on a basketball court, though.

As long as I'm blabbing here, I'm reminded of Jack Brickhouse, who had the same vocabulary problem as Stone.  It all made sense when late in his career, he told an interviewer that as a young broadcaster, he would sit in his motel room after games AND READ THE DICTIONARY!  The guy never heard of dive bars and loose women?

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I think you went too far about Stone, but he does have a way of expressing himself that makes it seem like you said.  It might be the overly fancy vocabulary he uses.  Walton's brain?  I want to see an MRI of that one.  Loved him on a basketball court, though.

As long as I'm blabbing here, I'm reminded of Jack Brickhouse, who had the same vocabulary problem as Stone.  It all made sense when late in his career, he told an interviewer that as a young broadcaster, he would sit in his motel room after games AND READ THE DICTIONARY!  The guy never heard of dive bars and loose women?

He just gives off an aura where he sounds like he thinks he is better than everyone else. 

OKC is really bad but bulls had a lot of good things tonight. Zach has really been putting in effort. Coby is just gonna have some games where he takes over. Williams looks great, and the screen action between the bigs is helping out Markannen.

Carter Jr. still timid.

And my take: fat euro players >>>> skinny tall euro players.

aka Poku looks awful to me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

OKC is really bad but bulls had a lot of good things tonight. Zach has really been putting in effort. Coby is just gonna have some games where he takes over. Williams looks great, and the screen action between the bigs is helping out Markannen.

Carter Jr. still timid.

And my take: fat euro players >>>> skinny tall euro players.

aka Poku looks awful to me.

Markkanen is clearly rusty as fuck. I don't think he's actually that bad at shooting. 

On 12/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Barkley teamed up with Pippen and Hakeem later in their career. The idea that superteams didn't exist back then is a myth.

Also, would you rather stay in a city you may dislike and play for a lousy team, or would you team up with your friends and have a chance to win it all? The choice seems very obvious. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 4:10 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Haha....he tried with the Lakers in 2004 and it didn't work. Gary Payton was a part of that. The difference is that Malone and Payton were 40 years old by then. 

It's one thing when you're ringless and at the end.....it's another to do it in your prime. 

I'm sure they all wish they did it sooner, too. 

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Barkley teamed up with Pippen and Hakeem later in their career. The idea that superteams didn't exist back then is a myth.

Also, would you rather stay in a city you may dislike and play for a lousy team, or would you team up with your friends and have a chance to win it all? The choice seems very obvious. 

Superteams didn't exist in their current form.......Usually those happened when there were guys at the end of their career that hadn't won chasing a ring together, and all of the players were usually 35 years old or older. 

In my opinion, superteams are bad for the NBA and make even the playoffs a formality for the most part. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Superteams didn't exist in their current form.......Usually those happened when there were guys at the end of their career that hadn't won chasing a ring together, and all of the players were usually 35 years old or older. 

Superteams have existed for ages. The NBA has typically been dominated by superteams/dynasties. What is your definition of a "superteam"?

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Superteams have existed for ages. The NBA has typically been dominated by superteams/dynasties. What is your definition of a "superteam"?

Back when front offices were the norm... (by the way, Barkley was traded to Houston he didn't sign there). But hey if old ass Malone, Payton, etc. teaming up way past their primes are considered a "superteam" to you, then be my guest.

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Back when front offices were the norm... (by the way, Barkley was traded to Houston he didn't sign there). But hey if old ass Malone, Payton, etc. teaming up way past their primes are considered a "superteam" to you, then be my guest.

In your opinion we're the second three peat bulls a super team?  The current version of super teams is far more refined than it ever was but there were a lot of teams that were trying to create that dynamic in the 90s but they kept running into the same buzzsaw.  It's not different now, just a new buzzsaw

10 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I think the running definition for years has been where the players get together to artificially manipulate the situation to create these teams.  Such as demanding trades only to one team.  Setting up free agency to where players take haircuts on max deals to make sure their buddies can sign at the same time.  Forcing a release so they can take another deal with the team they want to be on.

GMs trading for players on the open market isn't really something that falls under that IMO.

For example, it is one thing to say the Bulls traded for Rodman.  But Dennis Rodman didn't go to Spurs management and TELL them that he HAS to get traded, and he will ONLY accept a deal to the Bulls.  It is another thing for James Harden or Anthony Davis to force a trade and say they will ONLY play for certain teams.

At least that is how I have always seen it.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic