2021-22 NBA Thread

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I could see them trying to get Thad Young back, but it sounds like he was a little pissed at how they handled the trade situation last year. 

Bulls aren't allowed to trade for him this season since they just traded him. Don't think there's a realistic way to get him 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Bulls aren't allowed to trade for him this season since they just traded him. Don't think there's a realistic way to get him 

He has to be traded another team, released, and then sign with the Bulls.

Either the Bulls tamper hilariously hard after just getting caught or they get extremely lucky.

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He could get traded to another team and than subsequently traded / cut and at that point the Bulls can get him. But they can't trade for him directly or get him on the buyout market (unless he is traded to another team and than subsequently bought out).  

The Bulls really need a 2nd big to play with Vucevic. I'm so tired of seeing Javonte Green getting bullied by guys twice his size. He does what he can but it's hard to go up against guys who are almost 7 feet when you're 6'5 on a good day. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Bulls really need a 2nd big to play with Vucevic. I'm so tired of seeing Javonte Green getting bullied by guys twice his size. He does what he can but it's hard to go up against guys who are almost 7 feet when you're 6'5 on a good day. 

I mean, Giolito is slightly taller and currently without a sport.

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Man, I felt bad for him with Randle last night.  First play of the game and he gets tossed 10 feet and randle scores

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man, I felt bad for him with Randle last night.  First play of the game and he gets tossed 10 feet and randle scores

Randle did whatever he wanted last night near the paint. Both DJJ and Green aren't strong enough to defend guys like him down low. Against teams with a lot of bigs, the Bulls will really struggle defensively. Taj getting ejected early in the game last night probably helped the Bulls quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see how we stack up against Cleveland when they run 3 7 footers out there, even though Lauri doesn't play like one. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Randle did whatever he wanted last night near the paint. Both DJJ and Green aren't strong enough to defend guys like him down low. Against teams with a lot of bigs, the Bulls will really struggle defensively. Taj getting ejected early in the game last night probably helped the Bulls quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see how we stack up against Cleveland when they run 3 7 footers out there, even though Lauri doesn't play like one. 

Not many guys play like Randle though and have the speed. Jokic can bully, but he isn't fast - so Vuc, while not perfect can help. You just need to throw a lot at him.  Im not overly worried - this team is really good and we'll get a better read on different players as the season progresses and I got to imagine at some point, if we are as good as they have been playing, they will have a shot in the buy-out market or dangling assets.  Right now I'm kind of in a, lets see what White can do and don't sell low on Patrick Williams.  I feel like at this point - Bulls would be getting pennies on the dollar for 2 guys that if they developed right would fill some nice needs (Williams with some extra size and ability to play 3/4 and White who I believe will become a pretty effective bench / scorer and oddly enough I think his defense will benefit a lot from being on court with Caruso and Ball as well.  

I wish Golden State wasn't so damn good right now. Lavine and Draymon Green are said to be really close friends, but I can't really see them giving up Green right now especially since Williams would have to be a main piece and he's hurt. 

There were rumblings early on that they may trade him. 

43 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Famous last words - but I don't worry about Cleveland. Half their bigs are hurt most of the time, but they do have two good bigs, but I like our chances playing D against them as they are elite defensive bigs, not necessarily elite offensive bigs.  

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Maybe they loosen their draft protection on the 1st they owe us. 

Ha, I'm cool with that.

Man the more I look into Covington, the more I like the fit. I think he really fits what the Bulls do defensively. He lead the league in tipped balls and is one of the most disruptive defenders in the league. 

On Thad - I stand corrected. If the Spurs outright waved him (vs. bought him out) - and he made it through waivers - than the Bulls could pounce on him. I don't know whether he would make it through waivers - but I presume he might cause not many teams likely have the cap space to take on someone via waivers?  That said - I don't pretend to know how NBA waivers work.  

Thad has also made a direct quote now to the media - indicating he IS NOT HAPPY with the Spurs.  Total match made in heaven and I'm okay with him not being on the court w/Vuc much at the same time at all. I think he's just another point forward type option off the bench who can play ocassional starters minutes and maybe help down the stretch where appropriate. 

By the way - isn't Eversley currently the Bulls GM - so this would be a lateral move. Is that purely because in this role he doesn't have a president on top of him? I don't quite get it and presume the Bulls may not let it happen.  But I suppose if we got Nurkic plus they got rid of the protection on the FRP I might oblige ;)

All this said - I really want to keep ME.  I feel like a really elite front office is worth its weight in gold (relative to what franchises pay the players) - and right now (small sample size), I feel like this front office is trending in that direction. So with that in mind - give the man a pay raise and just tell Portland NO.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

All this said - I really want to keep ME.  I feel like a really elite front office is worth its weight in gold (relative to what franchises pay the players) - and right now (small sample size), I feel like this front office is trending in that direction. So with that in mind - give the man a pay raise and just tell Portland NO.  

Yeah, I think he was big for free agency too. That said, I'd like him to get his shot and definitely seems like AK has a lot of league relationships.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I think he was big for free agency too. That said, I'd like him to get his shot and definitely seems like AK has a lot of league relationships.

If he was an Asst GM - yes - but the man is GM of the Bulls.  So unless the Blazers job is president - I feel rather inclined to elevate his pay and keep him at the same title (a win win for Marc). But if he truly wanted to go there - than I totally get that. The real question is whether he is interested or not.  

But yeah - I think of Marc as the relationship guy you want in the GM role and AK (is good at that too) but not to the same wavelength, but AK is more of the scouting/developmental, etc type of guy.  I am probably wrong on both accounts because the reality is they are both really really good.  

48 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

By the way - isn't Eversley currently the Bulls GM - so this would be a lateral move. Is that purely because in this role he doesn't have a president on top of him? I don't quite get it and presume the Bulls may not let it happen.  But I suppose if we got Nurkic plus they got rid of the protection on the FRP I might oblige ;)

I think the GM in Portland would be equivalent to AKs role in Chicago. He'd be the head of the front office and personnel decisions. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Hate to see him go, but if he goes, can get give us a sweet deal on Nurik or Covington? Covington could be a good fit here. 

Covington should be somebody the Bulls go after. They don't need another guy who can score 20 a game, they need a guy who can defend 4/5s and not be a liability on offense. Covington fits that bill perfectly. He's a plus defender and can help you space the floor on offense since he's a great 3 point shooter. 

Edited by chw42

Everyone I've seen has heralded Caruso as the guy whose contribution doesn't really show in the statlines...but he actually leads the Bulls in RAPTOR WAR, which is kind of insane. It's so insane that he's actually 7th in the NBA in RAPTOR WAR and he's done that playing less than 30 minutes a game.