2021 NFL Season Thread

The Bears may have well lost anyway, but it's really disgusting to see the Packers continually get 3-4 huge breaks from the refs every single game.

Clear offsides not called, led to an interception in the end zone when it should have been 3rd and 5 and at worst a 45-50 yard FG attempt.

Clear grabbing of the face mask by Aaron Rodgers not called, plus an unsportsmanlike penalty called on Bears, instead of 3rd and long Packers get 15 yards and first down and eventually score TD.

Ticky-tack holding call on Bears while the Packers don't get flagged for holding once the entire game. Bears overcame it and scored TD but took an extra minute off the clock.

• Like 2

I have to say, I'm more confident in fields but this feels so much like the 2017 bears, and I just want to breathe a relief where he just puts a whole game together with like 250 yards and 3 TDs.

That bears team also felt like it would move it into the opponents territory and stall over and over at the 40.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have to say, I'm more confident in fields but this feels so much like the 2017 bears, and I just want to breathe a relief where he just puts a whole game together with like 250 yards and 3 TDs.

That bears team also felt like it would move it into the opponents territory and stall over and over at the 40.

I've said it before - i want to see some special games out of Fields this season. More than just moments. I expect the 2nd half of the season to have its frustrations, but I also expect to see some really fun games. There might be a lot of good special with some bad special in between in a game...but I want to see more and more.  I think we will see it.  

50 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Third worst scoring offense in the league are we having fun or what

I laughed at everyone who said - look Bears signed all these fast receivers - they will be good.  I was like - those receivers suck, I don't care if they are fast (referring to Goodwin, Byrd and others). I also go back to - Alan Robinson is a good receiver - but Bears have consistently made the right play in not signing him to a big money extension.  

But yeah - offense is struggling - some of that is on talent, some of that is on young QB play, some is on coaching/scheme too. If they finish the season showing real explosion and real progress...great, everyone can come back. If not, Fields will have a new head coach.  

15 minutes ago, South Sider said:

My goodness that man showed up who the real clown is. 

One day this country will finally outgrow the NFL and his achievements will mean nothing and he will not be remembered. 

What does this even mean 

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bears open as 12.5 point dogs for Sunday’s game vs the GOAT. Would be stellar for it to be Fields first 300 and 400 yard passing game :) with a bunch of Tds. 

Well, this has to be the team. Tampa is excellent, but the game plan against them has been to surrender the run (because they are amazing) and throw at some beat up corners. I do not have heavy confidence in this staff to get him prepped best for this gam.e

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You would think if Matt Nagy was truly the offensive guru he was advertised as being, by his 4th year he would figure out why this team does not score points.

Today he is going to contemplate the "why" it happened 

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You would think if Matt Nagy was truly the offensive guru he was advertised as being, by his 4th year he would figure out why this team does not score points.

According to Nagy it takes 3 years for the offense to gel, this is the takeoff year.

49 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Nobody is better at holding himself accountable for this team's failures.

Shame he can't fix them

I get that he was hired to be an offensive guru - but I still dont' think he is a terrible head coach - the problem is - you can't have him the HC without at least only getting part of his offense vs. the whole kit and kaboodle. The team plays hard for him and Desai was a great hire.  He really is bright and doing great things for the defense.  It won't matter - it should all be pretty clear by end of the season. If Fields arrow and the whole offense are pointing up and the team is pretty competitive at that point (not overall record but how they finish) - I think he's back. If Fields is still giong through the motions, etc - I think Pace has another year and will make a pivot to a new HC. 

We could argue that Pace/Nagy should be a package at this point -> but i don't think that is how the Bears will manage it.  I think they like Pace too much to get rid of him after just 1 year of Fields.  Bottom line - I think there will be a pretty obvious answer by end of the season (keep or can) re: Nagy. I think with Pace the only way he is gone is if Fields is a total dumpster fire.  

I still think the Bears should look at moving some pieces and get younger right now -> start to build and tailor roster for Fields and get back some assets you gave up for Fields.  Herbert looks like a nice pick up too.  

A few guys I would be considering from a trade perspective:

Allen Robinson (this is contradictory cause I like having him there for Fields development - but I would never pay him - so either I'm franchising him again and hoping to move him or I trade him to a contender for a 2nd/3rd.  

Robert Quinn - Never thought he would be trade bait - but he's old, but been extremely productive this year.  Guys that get after the QB have value and you got to imagine you could get something decent for him (maybe a 4th rounder).  

Khalil Mack - He has been awesome this year and this is from someone who has knocked him.  You don't have to move him, but I'm building everything around my offense at this point and trusting that Pace can find some more defensive players so would look to move him with right offer.  This could wait until offseason though and probably does.  Would be very Bill Belicheck to move him.  

Akiem Hicks - Love Hicks.  If he gets some good tape on film - it seems like now is the time to move him to better align with the window.  You won't get a lot, but this is more about getting younger and getting another asset for future.  

Dalton and/or Foles - One of them should be moved to extent possible before trade deadline. Get something.  I would think Dalton has more value/is more realistic to go.  

Note: I don't know if I am missing anyone else. Eddie Jackson has zero value so he isn't on the list. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

A few guys I would be considering from a trade perspective:

Allen Robinson (this is contradictory cause I like having him there for Fields development - but I would never pay him - so either I'm franchising him again and hoping to move him or I trade him to a contender for a 2nd/3rd.  

Robert Quinn - Never thought he would be trade bait - but he's old, but been extremely productive this year.  Guys that get after the QB have value and you got to imagine you could get something decent for him (maybe a 4th rounder).  

Khalil Mack - He has been awesome this year and this is from someone who has knocked him.  You don't have to move him, but I'm building everything around my offense at this point and trusting that Pace can find some more defensive players so would look to move him with right offer.  This could wait until offseason though and probably does.  Would be very Bill Belicheck to move him.  

Akiem Hicks - Love Hicks.  If he gets some good tape on film - it seems like now is the time to move him to better align with the window.  You won't get a lot, but this is more about getting younger and getting another asset for future.  

Note: I don't know if I am missing anyone else. Eddie Jackson has zero value so he isn't on the list. 

If there is anyone who will give us draft picks for our non-rookie contract players, I am taking them all.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If there is anyone who will give us draft picks for our non-rookie contract players, I am taking them all.

Agreed. They should back up the truck, and sell anything and everything that's not nailed down.

This team ain't going anywhere this season, so they might as well sell everything they can.

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Agreed. They should back up the truck, and sell anything and everything that's not nailed down.

This team ain't going anywhere this season, so they might as well sell everything they can.

Correct. This is right answer, but the organization doesn’t operate that way. They settle for .500 seasons with the off chance they strike gold and have a defense carry the team. 

The big thing is - Fields has made a lot of strides on reading the D.  I saw where Chris Simms has already made some statements that he was wrong on Fields.  Pretty premature change given it has only been a handful of games, but nice to see how people are looking at the film and how he goes through his progressions and strides being made. Like I said - i want to see some splashier games and more and more splash plays that showcase these improvements.  I keep thinking we might have a pretty fun 2nd half of the year and I'm really interested in this Bucs game.  I think the Bears will get trucked...but I also think there will be some opportunities to see Fields get unleashed a bit more (and if he fails that is okay -> but this can be a good learning example of how far he's came in those 4 starts).