Petition to make Johnny Cueto our hitting coach

bmags

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Frank Thomas is the reason I'm a Sox fan.  The 1993 team is still my all time favorite Sox team.  You'll never hear a disparaging word from me about the Big Hurt!

He should have retired a White Sox.  I never will say a bad word about Jim Thome but I do wonder....what if Frank was re-signed instead and Rowand was not traded in 2006??  

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

They win the division.

2 hours ago, wegner said:

He should have retired a White Sox.  I never will say a bad word about Jim Thome but I do wonder....what if Frank was re-signed instead and Rowand was not traded in 2006??  

It's tough, it undercuts how good thome was in 2006. Thome was on base 42% of the time and had a 1.000 OPS. It was incredible. Fangraphs put him at 5 WAR. Frank was great in 2006 with power, but not so good. But it basically comes down to health for Rowand, he only played 109 games that year and was nowhere near his defensive prowess in chicago. Anderson was giving us better defense than Rowand had that year, and him and Mackowiak were still positive contributors. So Thome + that crew are very likely >> Thomas + Rowand.

The real key would have been if we could have somehow traded for Thome without Rowand.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

It's tough, it undercuts how good thome was in 2006. Thome was on base 42% of the time and had a 1.000 OPS. It was incredible. Fangraphs put him at 5 WAR. Frank was great in 2006 with power, but not so good. But it basically comes down to health for Rowand, he only played 109 games that year and was nowhere near his defensive prowess in chicago. Anderson was giving us better defense than Rowand had that year, and him and Mackowiak were still positive contributors. So Thome + that crew are very likely >> Thomas + Rowand.

The real key would have been if we could have somehow traded for Thome without Rowand.

The pitching having a WS hangover/coming back down to earth was the killer for that team. Still the best Sox offense I've ever seen - only team close was first 2/3rds of 2000 Sox.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Frank wasn't so bad himself in 06. His wRC+ was only 14% worse than Thome's. He was also making 1/30th of what Thome made in 2006. You can argue there was some opportunity cost lost there as well as the fact they gave up Gio Gonzalez in the trade. 

Thome was very valuable for pretty much the entirety of his contract with the Sox, so I don't think the trade was bad at all. But for just the sake of 05, I think Rowand could have helped with the instability of center field. Mackowiak cost the pitching quite a bit with his god awful defense in CF and Brian Anderson couldn't hit at all. One way or another there was a giant hole either in the field or the lineup with those 2. The Sox also scored a ton of runs, so a 14% offensive drop off from Thome to Frank probably impacts the team less than the massive hole they had in CF. The $14 million you save from not paying Thome as well as still having Gio Gonzalez in the farm system also could have given the team more options to work with at the deadline. IIRC, we didn't really add anyone at the trade deadline that year.