Possible Three Way Deal

aboz56

yea, but if it meant getting a quality pitcher, im all for it :)

washburn is much more reliable than schoenweiss so I want this trade. pitching is very important just look at the A's.

i am also ready for a change. just like Rogers said, ozzie is getting almost the same heart of the lineup/team that failed manuel. we need a change of hearts not to be cheezy or anything.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogers didn't even hint that this is anything more than speculation. If ESPN has it listed on it's rumors page, it's probably based on this article. Valentin, Konerko and moving Koch's salary for Washburn and Erstad would be ok, but I'd like to see them add Travis Lee to play 1B with Koch's salary out of the equation. That would go a long way toward balancing the lineup. Maggs, Frank and Carlos from the right side, Erstad and Travis Lee from the left.

Rogers didn't even hint that this is anything more than speculation.  If ESPN has it listed on it's rumors page, it's probably based on this article.  Valentin, Konerko and moving Koch's salary for Washburn and Erstad would be ok, but I'd like to see them add Travis Lee to play 1B with Koch's salary out of the equation. That would go a long way toward balancing the lineup.  Maggs, Frank and Carlos from the right side, Erstad and Travis Lee from the left.

I think the plan is to give Ross Gload a chance if PK is traded.

This seems like a trade proposal from Rogers, more than an actual rumor floating around.

My feeling too. Phil Rogers wants to be the GM at least in print. It's fun at times to read these stories, but they are made up by the writer. I wouldn't want to make it simply because I think Erstad is to injury prone and Valentin is a "grinder" in every sense of the word and that's what the team needs. Not to say Erstad isn't, but Valentin has been healthy and Erstad misses too many games. I do think that something might happen with LA now that the Dodgers have been sold. Konerko or maybe Maggs, even though I think we should keep Magglio.

i dont believe this rumorat all but for arguements sake if it does go down getting washburn is plus..thats the guy id want..another lefty with buehrle in the rotation that can eat up quality innings helps soften the loss of colon...erstad for valentin at this point in both guys career is probably a wash...ive been a huge erstad fan..unfortunately we needed him 3 years ago..

There is no way I'd do that trade. Maybe get rid of Valentine but I wouldn't give up Valentine and Kornerko for Washburn and Erstad. Valentine and Kornerko are always healthy. Erstad is on the way down and Washburn gave up 34 homers last year. 34!! I'd rather take my chances with Cotts or Rauch. You have to give them an opportunity sometime.

There is no way I'd do that trade. Maybe get rid of Valentine but I wouldn't give up Valentine and Kornerko for Washburn and Erstad. Valentine and Kornerko are always healthy. Erstad is on the way down and Washburn gave up 34 homers last year. 34!! I'd rather take my chances with Cotts or Rauch. You have to give them an opportunity sometime.

I agree.

I love this trade but only if we get rid of Koch and make Takatsu the closer and Marte the Set-up man. Erstad in Cf is fine with me. Our outfield would be better defensively and Erstad is able to bat leadoff JIC. Washburn would be a great 3rd starter making it lefty, right, lefty, right, lefty (Buehrle, Loaiza, Washburn, Garland, Shoeneweis if necessary) I like this trade. But there is still 1 problem, Uribe is not ready to start at SS.

I don't think this is a fantasy trade at all. I think there it is a reasonable idea. It has been rumored that the Sox and Angels have discussed various trades during the offseason, including potentially moving Nomar to them. The Yankees need a 3B and Glaus would be a good fit. The Angels have a 3B prospect ready in a year or two, so Valentin would be a nice stopgap.

I am not saying this will happen, but I don't see it being too far-fetched.

Burt Blyleven used ot give 35+ homeruns a year and is in the Hall of Fame. If you think the Sox rotation is better with Cotts or Rauch as opposed to Washburn I guess I would have to say that I missing something. Washburn was a key ingredient to a World Championship, Konerko and Valentin were key in one of the most disappointing seasons in White Sox history. I will not even go into the shortcomings of Rauch and Cotts other then they are below average pitchers that will average 5+ innings and an ERA of 5.5 if we are lucky.

I don't think this is a fantasy trade at all.  I think there it is a reasonable idea.  It has been rumored that the Sox and Angels have discussed various trades during the offseason, including potentially moving Nomar to them.  The Yankees need a 3B and Glaus would be a good fit.  The Angels have a 3B prospect ready in a year or two, so Valentin would be a nice stopgap. 

I am not saying this will happen, but I don't see it being too far-fetched.

Agreed, when you mix that with the fact that the Angels legitimately want to move Glaus and moving him and replacing him with a lefty, more role playing guy is a good fit. They can have Jose back in the lineup and he can really do the little things. I'm not a huge Jose fan, but in the Angels lineup, he'd be a great addition and Konerko can play first and is much safer from the Angels perspective.

The Sox get a guy that can be a threat at the top of the order (erstad) and get dire help on the staff. Like I say, if the move Koch's 6 mill salary, then I'd look for them to add a quality reliever like Urbina (for say 3 mill...) and they would be right on budget.

Plus they get a good infield prospect. Defensively this team would be slick. Sick range and gloves in the infield and still a very solid offense, imo. They would need to add a new middle infielder though (role player).

I really would like this move.

Burt Blyleven used ot give 35+ homeruns a year and is in the Hall of Fame.  If you think the Sox rotation is better with Cotts or Rauch as opposed to Washburn I guess I would have to say that I missing something.  Washburn was a key ingredient to a World Championship, Konerko and Valentin were key in one of the most disappointing seasons in White Sox history.  I will not even go into the shortcomings of Rauch and Cotts other then they are below average pitchers that will average 5+ innings and an ERA of 5.5 if we are lucky.

Add that to the fact that Washburn would have a little less pressure cause he would go from ace (I realize this year he wouldn't be there ace) to the 3rd starter and he'd be a really nice pickup.

Plus, if Scho can get going too, it would be really nice to have 3 lefties in the rotation.

Whether this deal is merely thinking out loud, speculation, or a "true rumor," it's nice to hear SOMETHING about the White Sox. Once the Super Bowl is over, there won't be much to talk about in the sports world.

If Kenny really wants some coverage for the Sox, maybe he should fall down a flight of stairs.

:lolhitting

Whether this deal is merely thinking out loud, speculation, or a "true rumor," it's nice to hear SOMETHING about the White Sox.  Once the Super Bowl is over, there won't be much to talk about in the sports world.

If Kenny really wants some coverage for the Sox, maybe he should fall down a flight of stairs. 

:lolhitting

Oh I can just see the news report tonight...

"And in local news that fan fest thing going on for the... the... (Bob what's that team's name...?).. oh.. the White Sox.. GM Kenny Williams was pushed down a flight of stairs. 10,384 people are being held for questioning"

:lol:

Oh I can just see the news report tonight...

"And in local news that fan fest thing going on for the... the... (Bob what's that team's name...?).. oh.. the White Sox.. GM Kenny Williams was pushed down a flight of stairs. 10,384 people are being held for questioning"

:lol:

And no one is talking. meanwhile the Bar at the Hyatt is packed with partygoers who seem to be having the time of their lives!

Man, i know Carlos played 3B thru his minor league career, but i just cant see him at 1st base, is the thought of Frank playing first even in the question? The connectinos between Buehrle and Washburn continue, earlier in July of last year, i posted how the similiarites of there number, stats, types of pitches(great cutters, not overpowering) and they both have sideburns, with almost identical records in 2002, and they both had horrible starts last year and then rebounded.....

ANYWAYYYY, now they'd be on the same team if this trade happened, so could we have 2 identical pitchers go against the same team 2 nights in a row, seems like an advantage if they pitched on consecutive days?

You are right. Washburn was a big key to the Angels winning the world series two years ago. He was also a big key to them sucking last year. I would rather see a deal like this.

Sox Get:

Percival - $8 mil

Yankee Prospect

Angels Get:

Valentine - $5 mil

Yankee Prospect

Yankees Get:

Koch - $6.5mil

Glaus - $7.25mil

Sox save $3mil on payroll. Yankees get 3rd baseman. Sox get good closed. Angels get SCREWED.

Man, i know Carlos played 3B thru his minor league career, but i just cant see him at 1st base, is the thought of Frank playing first even in the question?  The connectinos between Buehrle and Washburn continue, earlier in July of last year, i posted how the similiarites of there number, stats, types of pitches(great cutters, not overpowering) and they both have sideburns, with almost identical records in 2002, and they both had horrible starts last year and then rebounded.....

ANYWAYYYY, now they'd be on the same team if this trade happened, so could we have 2 identical pitchers go against the same team 2 nights in a row, seems like an advantage if they pitched on consecutive days?

Thats why Elo would be between them, although I hold steadfast in my thoughts that they are not identical pitchers.

Washburn almost soley throws the fastball and variations of the fastball, while Buehrle throws quite a few different pitches.

I don't see a problem in having the two of them in the rotation, I see that as a good thing. :D

How can you honestly say that? Saying that you would rather have Rauch/Cotts instead of Washburn has to be one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. The more that I think about, the more I like this trade. The obvious improvement that Washburn would bring to the rotation in desperate need of another quality starter alone makes this a good deal. I am not a big Erstad fan, especially with his remaining contract, however, I would be willing to take him if it means Washburn is coming with him. Offensively the team would take a slight hit, although a healthy Erstad should be able to duplicate Konerko's OPS last year.

The reason I really like this trade(besides the addition of Washburn) is because of the other areas that it improves. I think the Sox would have Erstad play 1B(his natural position) because it will probably keep him healthier, and Lee has never played 1B. The Sox infield D would become one of the tops in the game. Erstad is a GG calibur 1B, Harris is above average defensively at 2B, Uribe is suppose to be a GG calibur SS, and Crede is already one of the top defensive 3B in the game. It would be nice to see the Sox with an above average defensive team, and I am sure all the groundball pitchers on the Sox staff would love that defensive infield. As someone else mentioned, the team speed would be drasticly improved. Olivo has a chance to be a double digit SB threat if given the shot, Erstad has stolen 20+ bags 5 times, Harris is a legit 30+ SB threat if he gets on base at a decent rate, Uribe has double digit potential, Crede is one of the few slow guys, Lee has stolen double digit bags 3 times, Rowand has above average speed and double digit potential, Maggs has stolen double digit bags 3 times, and Thomas is the other slow guy. For once the Sox would have a solid pitching staff, great team D, and great team speed to go with a solid offense that still includes(Thomas, Lee, Maggs, and Crede). This would be a great trade for the Sox.

The one problem as most of you guys have pointed out, is that this is probably nothing more then speculation on Rogers behalf. While the trade isn't too far fetched I have a hard time understanding why Anaheim would do. They are giving up a solid #2/3 starter, an AS calibur 3B, and a so-so outfielder/1B and only getting Konerko, Valentin, and a prospect back in return. It also seems like the Yankees are getting the best part of the deal. 2 marginal prospects for an AS calibur 3B. Anaheim does need some help from the left side of the pen, and my guess is that the Yankees(possible the Sox) would have to throw in a proven lefty reliever to help sweeten the deal for the Angels.