Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)
That's laughable. The Descent is PURE trash.

I wouldn't label The Descent the greatest horror movie of all time; but neither would I say it's terrible. It was definitely near the top of the genre in 2006.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

It's distributed by Fox Atomic and it was that bad. You go into it expecting a 'slice 'em up' movie similar to 'Hostel' and you get a grand total of 1 gore scene which lasted a whole 5 minutes the other 85 minutes were filled with ridiculously long chase scenes through the Brazilian jungle and partying on the beach.

I stumbled across the original Hitcher late one night (on AMC??) a few years ago, and liked it. Since I only saw it once I decided to see the remake, and it was terrible. The listed running time is 83 minutes, but I was out of theatre a few minutes after 9 (Movie start time was listed as 7:35, previews didn't end until about 7:50.)

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
And when you say Dawn of the Dead please tell me you mean the original. The new one was f***ing terrible.

Are you kidding? I laughed my ass off during the original cause of the cheap 1970's special effects. The recent one was FAR better.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 12:21 AM)
I stumbled across the original Hitcher late one night (on AMC??) a few years ago, and liked it. Since I only saw it once I decided to see the remake, and it was terrible. The listed running time is 83 minutes, but I was out of theatre a few minutes after 9 (Movie start time was listed as 7:35, previews didn't end until about 7:50.)

I saw the previews for that one and I laughed and thought to myself "what a stupid movie". Thanks for confirmation.

:D

Saw The Pursuit of Happyness last night. And I would emphasize the PURSUIT. About 93.8% of the movie was really depressing. In the end it was rather feel-good, but ladies bring a tissue. Good acting though, I was really impressed with both Will Smith and his kid (who looks exactly like Jada).

I also saw The Third Man--really good, I love film noir, and would highly recommend this film to anyone else that loves that genre. It was a good enjoyable film. And it was also really beautifully filmed in post-war Vienna.

Got to see Last King of Scotland last night. The performances were all astounding. I was expecting Forest Whitaker to be awesome, but I was also blown away the Scottish doctor and most of the supporting cast. Definitly an impressive cast. Whitacker was really amazing at capturing the range of moods that Amin goes through during the film, and he really makes him unpredictable, volatile, terrifying, and extremely childlike. I'm not exactly sure, though, how Whitaker was the Leading Character (according to the awards), he did steal every scene but in terms of pure screen time, he's definitely more of a supporting character.

On the way out my friend remarked that it was predictable, but I think that was actually kind of the point. Especially considering that Gillian Anderson's character pretty much lays out the course of the new regime in the first 10 minutes of the film.

It was a little more violent and suspenseful than I was expecting, but I enjoyed it a lot. The screenplay was co-written by the guy who wrote the queen, so the screenplay is good too. I've heard the movie (adapted from a book by the same name) took plenty of liberties from actual history, but in my mind the greatest bit of liberty was probably that I never saw the Scottish doctor who spent plenty of time out in the hot African sun with a nasty sunburn. Come on now. . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 08:34 AM)
Got to see Last King of Scotland last night. The performances were all astounding. I was expecting Forest Whitaker to be awesome, but I was also blown away the Scottish doctor and most of the supporting cast. Definitly an impressive cast. Whitacker was really amazing at capturing the range of moods that Amin goes through during the film, and he really makes him unpredictable, volatile, terrifying, and extremely childlike. I'm not exactly sure, though, how Whitaker was the Leading Character (according to the awards), he did steal every scene but in terms of pure screen time, he's definitely more of a supporting character.

On the way out my friend remarked that it was predictable, but I think that was actually kind of the point. Especially considering that Gillian Anderson's character pretty much lays out the course of the new regime in the first 10 minutes of the film.

It was a little more violent and suspenseful than I was expecting, but I enjoyed it a lot. The screenplay was co-written by the guy who wrote the queen, so the screenplay is good too. I've heard the movie (adapted from a book by the same name) took plenty of liberties from actual history, but in my mind the greatest bit of liberty was probably that I never saw the Scottish doctor who spent plenty of time out in the hot African sun with a nasty sunburn. Come on now. . .

Well you've sold me on not seeing the Brad Pitt movie but instead seeing this movie. I like Whitacker and it sounds like its got some action in it as well as drama and suspense.

Went and saw both Letters from Iwo Jima and Dreamgirls today.

Iwo Jima was just an awesome film. The performances were absolutely stunning, the script was good, and the whole scenerio was just heartbreaking. The cinematography was also really good. Prior to seeing this movie the only thing I really knew about Iwo Jima was the flag raising; this film provided a really interesting Japanese perspective on the battle there. I can't really describe the film, or the plot without giving a lot of the movie away, but it was interesting to see a futile battle being fought (and the people preparing to fight it). It was also odd because I found myself being really emotionally invested in the characters, so you don't want to see them get hurt--but you also realize they're fighting against Americans--I suppose that sort of undermined the futility of the battle that was beign fought. And also just spoke to the mass wasting of life that was going on. I really liked the movie (but I'm not sure I want to see it again) and I would recommend it.

Dreamgirls was meh. The movie was at its best when Eddie Murphy or Jennifer Hudson were onstage. The movie also reinforced my belief that Beyonce is kind of plastic, pre-packaged and dull in most of her endeavors. The songs (of which there are many) were entertaining, but the bits inbetween the songs were kind of filler. I only had to pay 5.75 to see it, and I probably wouldn't have paid much more. It was a good movie, but more flash than plot or heart or anything else. More of a movie rental type movie, that is improved greatly from the performances by Murphy and Hudson (when those two are on it's almost like a different film).

After seeing both films today, I'm really glad that Letters from Iwo Jima got the best picture nod over Dreamgirls; Dreamgirls isn't even in the same realm as Iwo Jima.

And which that, I have seen all of the best picture nominees. Hurray.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Well you've sold me on not seeing the Brad Pitt movie but instead seeing this movie. I like Whitacker and it sounds like its got some action in it as well as drama and suspense.

Good call. Let us know if you enjoyed it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
Saw American Beauty for the first time. Loved it.

Kevin Spacey, Tom Hanks and Morgan Freeman are my favorite actors.

GP, I love you. Not to sound gay. I don't care for Hanks. But Spacey and Freeman are two of my favs ever. And American Beauty is a classic. I might watch it tonight.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 04:41 AM)
Do any of you guys go on rottentomatoes.com?And would you consider it a reliable source for movie reviews?

The nice thing about rotten tomatoes is you get to see a TON of reviews in the same place. So, you can get a more wholistic view about what people are saying about the movies. If there's a movie I'm on the fence about seeing I always check rotten tomotoes.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:29 AM)
GP, I love you. Not to sound gay. I don't care for Hanks. But Spacey and Freeman are two of my favs ever. And American Beauty is a classic. I might watch it tonight.

Hanks is probably my least favorite of those three, but I don't think there's a film he can't do.

I love you too. :P

on TNT right?

That's right.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
The nice thing about rotten tomatoes is you get to see a TON of reviews in the same place. So, you can get a more wholistic view about what people are saying about the movies. If there's a movie I'm on the fence about seeing I always check rotten tomotoes.

i agree. Assume if its in the 20-30's its pretty awful. But a lot in the 60's are movies that people are torn on and its good to make your own decision.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 03:41 AM)
Do any of you guys go on rottentomatoes.com?And would you consider it a reliable source for movie reviews?

I usually go to IMDB for movie reviews. Its pretty good, it has plot outlines, reviews and even message boards for each movie and actor.