Pods or Rowand in CF?

TLAK

I know Oz has mentioned Rowand as the CF but we'll have to watch in spring training, things have a habit of changing. Based on last year's numbers, as nice as Aaron played, I have to give Pods the edge.

Year

Ag

Tm

Lg

Pos

G

PO

A

E

DP

FP

lgFP

RFg

lgRFg

RF9

lgRF9

GS

Inn

Pods

MIL

NL

CF

Rowand

CHW

AL

CF

Pods equaled Rowand's range per 9 innings, despite playing in the National League. Everybodys range numbers are lower in the NL because of all the extra strike outs from the pitchers hitting. He also has an edge in fielding percentage.

I've heard the grumble's from Milwaukee about Pods over running or misreading balls (wait until they see Carlos!), but he sure got to alot of them. This is a nice problem to have for a change. Until we see a couple weeks of games I have to vote for Pods in the middle.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
Aaron's got a B arm for a CF.  Everything I have heard is that Pod has a bad arm.  That is another good reason for Aaron in CF.

My thoughts on the subject too, at least with Pods, his arm won't hurt you as much in LF, which was the same deal with Carlos Lee, and why the Brewers had to move Geoff Jenkins to RF to accomodate him.

QUOTE(backman @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
i say let them fight for it in spring training, then we'll see who deserves the spot, and most likey ozzie will give the spot to the player most deservant.

(i'd rather have a stronger arm in left field)

Could you elaborate on that comment?

The dimensions are L-R 330, 377, 400, 372, 335.

That means you need a guy with good vert leap & speed in LF. If Pods has a better vert leap than Rowand then I would put him in LF. You can still take advantage of his speed by shifting the OFers so that Rowand covers more RF than LF.

If Rowand has the better vert leap than I would put him in LF. Balls hit near dead CF either have the distance or they don't. They are rarely hit to where a CF can make a leaping play on them. That is not the case in LF & RF. There are plenty of plays when an OF can snag the ball will a good leap.

http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/park...r?sort=HRFactor

Another interesting link. We are the #1 HR park in all of MLB. You are 6% more likely to see a HR at the Cell than at the #2 park, Wrigley Field.

Runs: Cell #3, Wrigley #5

Hits : Cell #3, Wrigley #9 (more indicative of a weaker NL) - 7% difference

2B's : Wrigley #14, Cell #16

3B's : Wrigley #15, Cell #17

BB's: Cell #11, Wrigley #17 - 3% difference

Our new OF should drop us in 2B's & 3B's.

QUOTE(soxman352000 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
I would leave it to Arron he has earned but I don't think he would mind moving to a corner position. Wasn't he brought up as a corner outfielder?

Yes, i believe he didn't play much center field in the minors.

The MLB fantasy take likes Pods: :o

-You can pencil Pods in for another 60-75 thefts.

-Pods got carried away after an early season power surge

-Pods should get avg back to high 200's.

-With double-dig HR power, you want to grab him quickly.

Damn! I hope they're right. All the media sites have scored this trade to the Brewers. But if Pods can do that I give it to the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Aaron's got a B arm for a CF.  Everything I have heard is that Pod has a bad arm.  That is another good reason for Aaron in CF.

You really think he has a B arm for a CF? I think he has a B arm overall, but for a CF I believe he rated higher than that.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
You really think he has a B arm for a CF? I think he has a B arm overall, but for a CF I believe he rated higher than that.

Yeah, I think his arm is decent, but not great in general. One thing Aaron does well is technique. He gets into a throwing position and is technically beautiful when he makes a throw. His raw arm isn't that great, but his technique makes him one of the most feared arms in the AL in CF. But when it comes down to throwing while not set, you can tell a big difference.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Ozzie said he'll use Pods in Left so he can cover gorund and not burn his legs out so he can use his speed on the basepaths.  I think it's been the 10000th times it's been discussed

yeah kind of a boring topic that keeps getting posted in some way

Personally, I feel that Rowand is worth of starting in CF but not because he's better there than Podsednik.

Whenever Rowand played right field during the season he looked very uncomfortable, and from looking up his stats there, he had a below 900 fding pct and poor hitting statistics when playing there.

Now, I am not a big defensive statistics guy because often they are very misleading(ala carlos lee-Id like to add that I was made fun of by multiple members, especially qwerty, cuz they felt he was a good LF purely from no errors and range rating-well now we know that me and once he was traded, his teammates and coaches bashed him for effort in LF). THESE STATS MEAN NOTHING. RANGE IS FAR MORE ON WHO PITCHES THAN WHOSE FIELDING.

Anyways, got a little off topic. Rowand should be our CF.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Personally, I feel that Rowand is worth of starting in CF but not because he's better there than Podsednik.

Whenever Rowand played right field during the season he looked very uncomfortable, and from looking up his stats there, he had a below 900 fding pct and poor hitting statistics when playing there.

Now, I am not a big defensive statistics guy because often they are very misleading(ala carlos lee-Id like to add that I was made fun of by multiple members, especially qwerty, cuz they felt he was a good LF purely from no errors and range rating-well now we know that me and once he was traded, his teammates and coaches bashed him for effort in LF).  THESE STATS MEAN NOTHING.  RANGE IS FAR MORE ON WHO PITCHES THAN WHOSE FIELDING.

Anyways, got a little off topic.  Rowand should be our CF.

You are a good person for making me laugh. :lolhitting

I forgot about TangoTigers scouting report by the fans, for the fans -- http://www.tangotiger.net/scouting/scoutResults2004.html -- But it further enforces my belief that Rowand should be in Center.

Here's how the two ranked.

Player Age GP Overall

Position-Neutral

Instincts FirstStep Speed Hands Release Strength Accuracy Ballots Agreement

Level

Rowand, Aaron 27 122 70 71 74 71 66 67 69 67 17 0.79

Podsednik, Scott 28 151 44 31 53 83 35 36 22 39 11 0.46

The league average for each of the seven traits of fielding is fixed at 50, with one standard deviation equal to 20 points. This means that a player with a trait value of 70 is in the top 16% in the league.

Rowand is in the top 20% in every defensive category. The agreement level is very low for Podsednik, but across the board his numbers are worse than rowands. The low agreement means that some people rate him very high, while others rate him low (see Jeter/Valentin)

Edited by Gene Honda Civic