Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
Interesting Hardball Times Article here about which players they think will improve on last season and who will go the other way. They think Buerhle's ERA will increase from 3.89 to 4.41.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...es-could-speak/

People have been predicting the downfall of Buerhle for years. Basically his only downfall has been pitching half of his games in the worst pitchers park in the AL. All you have to do is look at his road splits to know that.

Seems the D-Rays are looking for both LH bat who can DH and play the OF, and someone to play 2b. Joe B and/or Willie for some young pitching?

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/14/Rays/Pin...ll_wants_.shtml

Piniella still wants a left-handed bat

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published March 14, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - Manager Lou Piniella likes what he has seen from the players in camp. Now he would like to see the Rays add a proven left-handed hitter to the group.

"I think that's what we need more than anything," Piniella said. "We're talking about a frontline bat, about a guy who can come in here and swing it."

Ideally, the Rays would like someone who has power and could play the outfield occasionally and/or share at-bats with right-hander Josh Phelps at DH. They had a similar goal during the offseason and talked about players such as Baltimore's Jay Gibbons and Washington's Nick Johnson , but didn't make a deal.

The Rays seem to have a surplus of pitching, including some who are young and inexpensive, and it's likely a trade would come from their pool of relievers.

The Rays also are looking for another infielder, either a utilityman or a second baseman, to provide an alternative should Roberto Alomar 's back problems linger.

General manager Chuck LaMar said he expects to make at least one trade before opening day, and that the Rays had some "wiggle room" to add to their approximate $30-million payroll, but cautioned that it's unusual to make a big-name deal in the spring.

"The arms on our pitching staff have created the most interest because (other teams) know we're not going to give up the young position players," LaMar said.

"We're looking for some help. I don't want to make it out when I say that we're going to make a trade that it will be this blockbuster. This time of year, those guys aren't out there. You're looking for a veteran bat of some type. I don't think you can be too choosy whether it's a power guy or average guy, but we could use a left-handed bat. You're trying to make the best deal you can."

People have been predicting the downfall of Buerhle for years.  Basically his only downfall has been pitching half of his games in the worst pitchers park in the AL.  All you have to do is look at his road splits to know that.

Worst pitcher's park in all of MLB. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

2.63 Away http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/pitc...Type=2&type=std

5.02 Home

http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/pitc...Type=2&type=std

3 yr avg Home 4.02ERA, Away 3.70ERA. If there were a franchise player tag in MLB Mark would be it.

ERA is such a meaningless stat for a pitcher anyways. What matters the most is quality & winnable starts vs poor starts. Mark consistently keeps his poor starts under single digits. That's what distinquishes him the most from Contreras & Garland. I've said it before & I'll say it again. The most important #'s for a starter are GS, IP, & L. Mark's GS/L ratio has been among the league's best for 3 straight yrs now. That's the measure of a stud & a franchise player.

With word that Lee may very well be just a rent a player for the Brewers that deal could still tip in the White Sox favor. The Sox will not face the Brewers in the regular season this year & Carlos Lee will help the Brewers against the Cubs (psyche) & the Twins (6 gms).

I hope Kenny keeps in touch with him & does nothing but praise Carlos at the close of ST. I feel that if Carlos does have a monster season the Cubs will be heavily pressured to sign him long term & the White Sox can't allow that to happen. I don't care what he costs at that time the Sox must do everthing in their power to keep him away from the Cubs.

It would be best for the Sox long term if Carlos either signed with them or remained in Milwaukee. Especially with the Milwaukee & Minnesota always facing each other 6 times a year.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
Seems the D-Rays are looking for both LH bat who can DH and play the OF, and someone to play 2b. Joe B and/or Willie for some young pitching?

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/14/Rays/Pin...ll_wants_.shtml

Piniella still wants a left-handed bat

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

Published March 14, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - Manager Lou Piniella likes what he has seen from the players in camp. Now he would like to see the Rays add a proven left-handed hitter to the group.

"I think that's what we need more than anything," Piniella said. "We're talking about a frontline bat, about a guy who can come in here and swing it."

Ideally, the Rays would like someone who has power and could play the outfield occasionally and/or share at-bats with right-hander Josh Phelps at DH. They had a similar goal during the offseason and talked about players such as Baltimore's Jay Gibbons and Washington's Nick Johnson , but didn't make a deal.

The Rays seem to have a surplus of pitching, including some who are young and inexpensive, and it's likely a trade would come from their pool of relievers.

The Rays also are looking for another infielder, either a utilityman or a second baseman, to provide an alternative should Roberto Alomar 's back problems linger.

General manager Chuck LaMar said he expects to make at least one trade before opening day, and that the Rays had some "wiggle room" to add to their approximate $30-million payroll, but cautioned that it's unusual to make a big-name deal in the spring.

"The arms on our pitching staff have created the most interest because (other teams) know we're not going to give up the young position players," LaMar said.

"We're looking for some help. I don't want to make it out when I say that we're going to make a trade that it will be this blockbuster. This time of year, those guys aren't out there. You're looking for a veteran bat of some type. I don't think you can be too choosy whether it's a power guy or average guy, but we could use a left-handed bat. You're trying to make the best deal you can."

Aubrey Huff for Nick Johnson + outfielder or pitching prospect perhaps?

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
holy crap Carlos is killing the ball... thats awesome..

I cant wait to see him when they come to Houston

I got a feeling Carlos isn't going to make it through the season healthy.

Jon Rauch allowed one run and three hits in two innings of relief tonight against the Astros.

Rauch worked three innings nine days ago. That he pitched only two tonight shows exactly where he stands in the rotation competition. It looks like he's competing for a job as a middle reliever. Mar. 15 - 11:44 pm et

Matt Ginter struck out three in three scoreless innings versus the Indians today.

Ginter is the top internal candidate to take over as the Mets' fifth starter with Steve Trachsel out. If it happens, he'd be worthy of a roster spot in NL-only leagues. He lacks upside as a starting pitcher, but Shea Stadium should help him compile decent numbers. Mar. 15 - 8:35 pm et

It's very interesting that almost all the Sox minor leaguers they've traded over the last few years are fringe, last man on the roster types. Only Frankie Fransisco has made an impact [and Reed probably will too]. For all the media talk about the Sox thinning out their farm system, the Sox still have plenty of talent left.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

On this page is a link to all players.

ChiSox

1. Paul Konerko $17

2. Mark Buehrle $17

3. Aaron Rowand $16

4. Scott Podsednik $15 (Surprising)

5. Shingo Takatsu $14

6. Freddy Garcia $13

7. A.J. Pierzynski $9

8. Frank Thomas $9 (4.5 months)

9. Jermaine Dye $9

10. Jose Contreras $7

Marte $4, Garland $3

Hernandez $2, Vizcaino $2, Herm $2

Rotation: $42

Twins

1. Santana $33

2. Nathan $26

3. Hunter $19

4. Radke $15

5. Ford $14

6. Morneau $14

7. Stewart $13

8. Mauer $9

9. Rincon $8

10. Cuddyer $7

Silva $2, Lohse $2, Romero $2, Crain $2

J Mays $1

Rotation: $53

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Juan Castro went 3-for-4 today, but he also made his sixth error at shortstop.

Castro made five errors in 113 games in 2003 and eight errors in 111 games last year, so his frequent miscues this spring have come as a major surprise. He hasn't helped himself in the competition against Jason Bartlett. Mar. 16 - 7:38 pm et

Making just his third appearance in an 'A' game, Billy Koch allowed a run and two hits in an inning today.

He's given up five runs in three innings. It's been speculated that Koch's poor showing so far was part of the reason the Jays shifted Miguel Batista back to the pen. There's a real chance the Blue Jays won't keep their former closer. Mar. 16 - 7:40 pm et

With Steve Traschel out, the Mets will be looking for Matt Ginter as a possible 5th starter. Jon Adkins would have to be a good pick for them, as bullpen insurance and could challenge for the 5th spot as well. Of course, the Mets would have to overpay for Adkins [like AA SP Yusmero Petit]. With no decent 5th Starter types out there. the Mets are in a position where they'll likely have to overpay. The Mets need guys who could eat innings, either in the pen or the rotation

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/42720.htm

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
It's very interesting that almost all the Sox minor leaguers they've traded over the last few years are fringe, last man on the roster types. Only Frankie Fransisco has made an impact [and Reed probably will too]. For all the media talk about the Sox thinning out their farm system, the Sox still have plenty of talent left.

Jeremy Reed will be a starter very soon, if not on openning day. And that is fine by me, as we got a #2 pitcher in the deal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Jeremy Reed will be a starter very soon, if not on openning day.  And that is fine by me, as we got a #2 pitcher in the deal.

I did say Reed would probably make an impact. I'm mostly talking about are the "prospects" the sox have traded [rauch, majewski, ginter, guerrier, miles, etc] for guys on the sox 25 man roster [timo, Marte, Uribe, Everett]

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
Botch was officialy cut by the Blue Jays today.

That's too bad. I was really rooting for him to find "it" again. He was a cool dude, and a great teammate. He never blamed anyone or anything else for his problems. I can respect that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
That's too bad.  I was really rooting for him to find "it" again.  He was a cool dude, and a great teammate.  He never blamed anyone or anything else for his problems.  I can respect that.

I agree wholeheartedly.

That's too bad.  I was really rooting for him to find "it" again.  He was a cool dude, and a great teammate.  He never blamed anyone or anything else for his problems.  I can respect that.

I was a big fan when he was with the TBJ & A's & had high hopes for him with the CSox.

But I knew when his velocity dropped to mid-low 90's that was it. I blame Beane. He overused him that year & something happened to his arm. He pretty much dealt us damaged goods & I think he knew it.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
I was a big fan when he was with the TBJ & A's & had high hopes for him with the CSox.

But I knew when his velocity dropped to mid-low 90's that was it.  I blame Beane.  He overused him that year & something happened to his arm.  He pretty much dealt us damaged goods & I think he knew it.

good argument. :rolly

I blame Kenny Williams for Timo Perez's suckitude. His "injury" must have been from overuse.

Blaming the GM. Really :chair

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)

I blame Kenny Williams for Timo Perez's suckitude.  His "injury" must have been from overuse.

Blaming the GM.  Really :chair

Just as long as people don't start blaming bad posts on the Admins we are OK. :)

I blame Kenny Williams for Timo Perez's suckitude.  His "injury" must have been from overuse.

Blaming the GM.  Really :chair

Is ignorance really bliss? Did you bother to read anything by Oakland fans when that trade happened? They warned us that Beane over-used him & they saw his velocity dropping at the end of August.

It was assumed that he could get it back over that off-season but he never did.

Now look at the facts. He was the Roland's man of relief that year with a high very IP number. His velocity was strong in the first half & tailed off in the 2nd. He was called upon to pitch more than one inning many times in the month of Aug of that year.

It doesn't take much gray matter to connect the dots on that one :rolly

Edited by JUGGERNAUT