So....what did you think of Robin?

bjm676

Its really hard to expect someone with no broadcasting experience or training to walk in and be exceptional behind the microphone. Many broadcast teams have to work several years before they are comfortable with each other. Color commentators jobs are easier when they have an experienced PBP man to set them up with opportunities to analyse. Having DJ do PBP with the little experience he has with that doesn't help the Boy Wonder, or the Pope. I thought they both have done fine. Neither probably will ever be broadcasters. I do think DJ has improved dramatically as an analyst.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
I had the same surgery in Nov.  A partial retinal detachment gets worse and worse and if left untreated will lead to blindness.  The catch is that they have no way of telling how long your vision will be stable and usually don't want to gamble.  When the Dr. told me I had one, they wanted to operate that same night and mine was not a severe one.  I wanted to hold off on my surgery and he said 'you could literally wake up tomorrow and be blind in that eye.'  They operated on me the following morning.  For some reason, they must have thought Hawk's was not urgent.   :huh

....but I digress.

Ahhh.. my grama had one. She is a bus driver and she was able to hold off on having the surgery until the school year ended. Her's definitely must have not been anywhere as bad as yours. Did yours hurt..? She said she didn't even know anything was even wrong with hers..

QUOTE(Steff @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
Ahhh.. my grama had one. She is a bus driver and she was able to hold off on having the surgery until the school year ended. Her's definitely must have not been anywhere as bad as yours. Did yours hurt..? She said she didn't even know anything was even wrong with hers..

Nope, no pain, no symptoms, I went in for a routine eye exam and (luckily) they found it. I am extremely near sighted, so I'm high risk for them.

Your grandma is a tough lady, lol.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Nope, no pain, no symptoms, I went in for a routine eye exam and (luckily) they found it. I am extremely near sighted, so I'm high risk for them.

Your grandma is a tough lady, lol.

Wow.. good thing they caught it for you then. Weird thing.. my grama was 67 when they found hers. She never even needed glasses before then. I hope I am blessed with her vision. ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Wow.. good thing they caught it for you then. Weird thing.. my grama was 67 when they found hers. She never even needed glasses before then. I hope I am blessed with her vision.  ;)

That's very strange about your grandma, because unless you are extremely near sighted or took a blow to the head, like boxers, they are very, very rare.

The recovery sux.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
That's very strange about your grandma, because unless you are extremely near sighted or took a blow to the head, like boxers, they are very, very rare.

The recovery sux.

I don't remember what the cause was.. but I remember her having to wear a patch for what seemed like months. Does it itch? Thinking about it makes my eyes itch.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I don't remember what the cause was.. but I remember her having to wear a patch for what seemed like months. Does it itch? Thinking about it makes my eyes itch.

Very little pain to eye itself, but a mean headache for like a day.

My recovery consisted of lying flat on my back (with no pillow) for at least 16 hours a day for 4 days, little by little they have you do it for less and less hours each day. I thought I was gonna lose my mind. I wore a huge gauze for 2 days and it itched like crazy and looked like hamburger for like 2 weeks. Then you begin to heal pretty quickly. Some people have it worse, they have to lie FACE DOWN.

I'm pissed that MLB.tv is broadcasting the Tampa Bay broadcast, not the Comcast one. Ventura is my favorite player and I was really excited to hear him. Personally, I thought DJ and Pall did alright. I'm not a Hawk fan, I don't like his catch phrases and I think he sounds like an idiot most of the time. I think he only perpetuates the poor image White Sox fans have. Anyways, hopefully today or tomorrow, MLB.tv broadcasts the Comcast feed, although I doubt it.

Missed RV, but thought DP was okay (a little boring).

I always wonder, though, if broadcasters ever listen to a replay of their broadcast. So many of them have little verbal tics that drive me crazy. For instance, Chet Coppack (sp?) always says "ahh" and "uhh." Charles Barkley is constantly saying "first of all." That kind of stuff drives me crazy. Barkley will start three consecutive sentences with, "First of all...." Jesus, what's second Charles. I'm hangin' on every word here. Please tell me. :stupid

Can a program director get a hold of these guys?

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ May 10, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
He sounds like an idiot...and White Sox fans are often stereotyped as idiots.

By who, exactly?

Lemming Cub fans?

If I followed stereotypes, only someone with a strong feminine lisp should announce Cub games.

I don't agree with the stereotype, but it is there. I've heard it from a lot of baseball fans. The incidents of fans on the field sure didn't help either, or the disco demoliation night.

I would listen to the radio if I could, but I have to watch the game on MLB.tv, so no radio option.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
Disagree he sounds like an idiot.

Only idiots stereotype White Sox fans as idiots.

No doubt. He might not be the most dynamic announcer in baseball, but he isn't an idiot. He knows his stuff.

Personally I love his sense of humor. It is very dry and caustic, much like my own.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 10, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
I thought he was funny and very informative...much better than he was in ST....

Your avatar...is...so...scrumptious? :P

Ventura cracked me up a few times. He tends to talk over DJ...which is good.

I can't stand Darrin Jackson.

I really didn't think that Donn Paul or Robin Ventura did too bad. Being a first year Sox fan, I have not warmed up to DJ or Hawk yet. Compared to other teams broadcasts, they rank pretty low. They don't bring much excitement to the telecasts and have given liitle inside info.

On Monday night, DJ laid it on too thick in his praises of Robin. I thought I was listening to Pedro Gomez tslking sbout Barry Bonds.

I love watching the Sox broadcasts (especially since I live in Indy), but it is weak at best.

:snr :sleep