• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Freddy will try to end Sox's nightmare

07/09/2005 11:54 PM ET

By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

The Oakland Athletics have been a major thorn in the side of the White Sox for the past five seasons but it isn't the team's bad record against the club that really bothers manager Ozzie Guillen.

Rather it's the way that his club didn't put up much of an effort in Saturday night's 10-1 loss.

"Every time I wake up, I bring the best to the ballpark and so does my coaching staff and so do my players, believe me," Guillen said. "They show up every day, and I didn't see that [saturday]. They play hard for me in I don't know how many games we've already played, but I don't see the fight. "

Maybe it's the approaching All-Star break or just the Athletics jinx, but the White Sox have not been the same team that jumped out to the Major League's best record in their last two games. Two straight losses to Oakland has Chicago staring at its first sweep of the season.

Freddy Garcia can prevent that from happening if he can have a quality outing on the mound. Garcia makes his 18th start of the season in the White Sox's final game of the first half. Garcia posted a no-decision his last time out, allowing four runs on eight hits over seven innings against Tampa Bay at home.

Dan Haren will make his first start against the White Sox. He brings a six-game winning streak over his last eight starts and has held opponents to a .223 average during that stretch.

Pitching matchup:

OAK: RHP Dan Haren

• 7-7, 3.96 ERA in 2005

• Has never faced CWS

CWS: RHP Freddy Garcia

• 8-3, 3.40 ERA in 2005

• 0-0, 1.29 vs. OAK in 2005

Player to watch

Scott Podsednik is one of only three White Sox players to face Haren. Podsednik is 2-for-3 with a walk against the right-hander.

Quotable

"A lot of it might have to do with the jinx and this team. But it seems like every time we play these guys, on a routine ground ball somebody makes an error that never makes errors, myself included when we were in Oakland. There is something about this team, we can't beat them. " -- Mark Buehrle, on the club's struggles against Oakland

A win...anyway possible. Please.

I had two (personal) goals I wanted the Sox to try to achieve by the ASB, and they can accomplish both with a win today.

I wanted to see the Sox at 30 games over .500, and at least 10 games up on the division at the break.

Let's go on a tear today, and end a SOLID first half on a high note.

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3:

No matter what happens today, we will have AT LEAST a 9 game lead on Minnesota, No one saw this at the beginning of the season!!! Reguardless of todays outcome, the 1st half hasbeen a MAJOR SUCCESS!!! Now that said, lets steal 1 today and hope KC has a 3rd victory over Minnesota!!! If you all thought Sweeney killed us, you should see what he has done to Minnesota this series (8-9 last 2 nights)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Freddie's pitching during the day.  He'll shut them down.

Yeah, but its not on the road :bang

We need a win today...or I'm really going to be pissed. This weekend has sucked.

Article in the tribune about how Ozzie got mad at Uribe for watching his fly ball in the 8th. Crede also is out until Thurs. Here is my guess at today's line up. NOT OFFICIAL, obviously.

Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Frank DH

Kong 1B

Rowand CF

Dye RF

AJ C

Ozuna 3B

Harris SS

Just a guess.

If Crede's back is still hurting him after the ASB, our biggest need is to find a back-up 3B. I don't know how many times Ozuna has to suck at 3B before the organization realizes that he can't play there. You can tell that he's not comfortable, as he has some of the worst footwork I've seen at that position in a long time.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
If I just heard correctly, per ESPN Radio 1000:

Podsednik LF

Iguchi 2B

Thomas DH

Konerko 1B

Everett RF

Rowand CF

Pierzynski C

Uribe SS

Ozuna 3B

...Pablo's back in at third.

:crying

He'll do good today, I'm counting on it. Freddy needs to step it up again and prove that he is an ace. RIP THEM b****ES!

Garcia has been great lately, but this is definitely a game where it would be in his best interest to come out of the gates good, instead of allowing his customary first inning homer. The A's are playing with a ton of confidence against the Sox, and a 2-0 lead in the first inning for them just might get the train rolling again for them.

I don't want to put any pressure on the White Sox but needless to say this is the biggest game of the 1st half. Lose today & you take a 3 gm losing streak against a team that now looks like it will both contend for the WC & the ALW into the break.

You will not see this team again until the post season. This team has done nothing but dominate you for 4 yrs straight & if they win today 2005 will rank as one of their most dominating performances against you.

And this in a year where they said goodbye to their aces Hudson & Mudler.

I recall all the SOXTALK fans counting the A's out but I never lost faith in Beane. The guy is flat out the best GM in MLB. He works with a lower payroll than the Twins & just take a look at his W & L record while GM of the A's. It's phenomenal.

So when he traded Mulder & Hudson you had to assume he was getting good talent in return. The A's fans are now seeing evidence of that. What the team has shown me in the season series in that unless you can outpitch them (like Toronto recently did) you can't beat them. They have a even better balance in the lineup than the White Sox. Did you happen to notice just how many LHB's they have? They look like they have equal strength from both sides. That's a nightmare for opposing bullpens.

Even more impressive is that it looks like 1-9 everybody can run on this A's teams. Even with Hudson & Mulder in years past the A's always slumped & dropped way past .500 before finding themselves & going on a tear.

Looking at their 2nd half they have 22 games vs ALC teams, 8 vs LAA, 8 vs TEX, & 7 vs BAL. They clearly own their own destiny. They match up well vs ALC teams. Just like we do. So we better start thinking about playing them in the first round of the playoffs.

That's why this game is as must win as any game can be in the 1st half.

We must end the season series on a high note against the A's. We must shrink that overwhelming confidence we have against them. Otherwise we are looking for a 100 win season that will end quickly in the first round.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
I don't want to put any pressure on the White Sox but needless to say this is the biggest game of the 1st half.  Lose today & you take a 3 gm losing streak against a team that now looks like it will both contend for the WC & the ALW into the break. 

You will not see this team again until the post season.  This team has done nothing but dominate you for 4 yrs straight & if they win today 2005 will rank as one of their most dominating performances against you.

And this in a year where they said goodbye to their aces Hudson & Mudler.

I recall all the SOXTALK fans counting the A's out but I never lost faith in Beane.  The guy is flat out the best GM in MLB.  He works with a lower payroll than the Twins & just take a look at his W & L record while GM of the A's.  It's phenomenal.

So when he traded Mulder & Hudson you had to assume he was getting good talent in return.  The A's fans are now seeing evidence of that.  What the team has shown me in the season series in that unless you can outpitch them (like Toronto recently did) you can't beat them.  They have a even better balance in the lineup than the White Sox.  Did you happen to notice just how many LHB's they have?  They look like they have equal strength from both sides.  That's a nightmare for opposing bullpens.

Even more impressive is that it looks like 1-9 everybody can run on this A's teams.  Even with Hudson & Mulder in years past the A's always slumped & dropped way past .500 before finding themselves & going on a tear. 

Looking at their 2nd half they have 22 games vs ALC teams, 8 vs LAA, 8 vs TEX, & 7 vs BAL.  They clearly own their own destiny.  They match up well vs ALC teams.  Just like we do.  So we better start thinking about playing them in the first round of the playoffs.

That's why this game is as must win as any game can be in the 1st half.

We must end the season series on a high note against the A's.  We must shrink that overwhelming confidence we have against them.  Otherwise we are looking for a 100 win season that will end quickly in the first round.

Damnit, Juggs. I like it better when you just post some stats...lol..Now i'm really nervous about this game.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the A's?

Freddy needs to shut these bastards down and end the first half on a high note.

Then it's on to Detroit for our three All-Stars...plus, Konerko for some reason.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox3:

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 07:46 AM)
Ill guess...

Pods-CF

Iguchi-2B

Thomas-DH

Konerko-1B

Everett-LF

Dye-RF

AJ-C

Uribe-SS

Ozuna-3B

I didnt realize Rowand only has 2 XBHs since June 8th!!!

we neeed to get carl's bat in the lineup....i like your guess....rowand just aint doin anything