Do the Sox need to look over their shoulders

SpringfieldFan

This may seem ridiculous, and it probably is, but Oakland is 9 back of the Sox. In recent years, they have often gotten really hot in the second half and just not let up. They are doing it again. Do you think there is any remote concern they could catch them if they win 40-45 of their remaining 56 games and the Sox play .500?

I self nominate this as dumbest post of the year, but hey, I have given up waiting for the A's to cool off...

SFF

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never underestimate Billy Beane and his A's. Oakland has great teachers in their system and I think that's why the young players improve as the year goes on. I said last week I think they will win the west with the Angels getting the wild card. Can they catch us? Only if we continue to lose so many home games like tonight.

Who the f*** cares about an AL West team? There's no award given for having the best record in the regular season. The Sox should be looking over their shoulders at Cleveland and the Twins....not any AL West team. The A's could win the rest of their regular season games, and it still wouldn't really impact the Sox's chances at making the playoffs.

Still routing for the A's who gives a f*** about them it all about putting the division away early. 9 games is alot there is no way the A's continue to stay this hot im not scared at all and all the better lets hope the A's dont get the wild card so we dont have to face them in the first round.

Sox shouldn't worry about the A's, their job is to keep winning. As a fan of the Sox I will worry because I do not want to see them in the playoffs. I am rooting for the damn Twins to kick their ass and anyone else who squares off vs Oak.

As long as the sox stay healthy, keep pitching good and keep up their good offense the past few games is all im worried about.

How many World Series have the A's played in since Canseco left?

People worry about our pitching staff, imagine if you were throwing out mostly first and second year guys.

They may have all the talent in the world, but outside of Zito none of them have even seen pressure.

SB

I say it would be better off if the A's win their division, rather than the wild card. That way we could face the Angels in the first round, who we know we can beat, and I don't see the A's beating the Red Sox, and if we beat the Angels i really believe we can beat the Red Sox. if it weren't for stupid errors, we would have taken 3 of 4 from them. However, with all that said, there's alot of baseball left.

Edited by palesox38

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Who the f*** cares about an AL West team?  There's no award given for having the best record in the regular season.  The Sox should be looking over their shoulders at Cleveland and the Twins....not any AL West team.  The A's could win the rest of their regular season games, and it still wouldn't really impact the Sox's chances at making the playoffs.

:headbang

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
How many World Series have the A's played in since Canseco left?

People worry about our pitching staff, imagine if you were throwing out mostly first and second year guys.

They may have all the talent in the world, but outside of Zito none of them have even seen pressure.

SB

The last 4 times the A's have made the playoffs '00-'03 they have been knocked out in the 1st round in 5 games.

'00 - Yankees 3 - A's 2

'01 - Yankees 3 - A's 2

'02 - Twins 3 - A's 2

'03 - Red Sox 3 - A's 2

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
The last 4 times the A's have made the playoffs '00-'03 they have been knocked out in the 1st round in 5 games.

'00 - Yankees 3 - A's 2

'01 - Yankees 3 - A's 2

'02 - Twins 3 - A's 2

'03 - Red Sox 3 - A's 2

They still kick our ass from here to Oakland. I'll pass on playing the A's in the playoffs.

I didn't know which post to quote...basically all the one's that said who gives a f***! a)...why would you even romotely care about somebody who's fighting for their division lead and a wild card?!? All the Sox need to worry about it who's behind them in the division...period! f*** the A's!

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I didn't know which post to quote...basically all the one's that said who gives a f***!  a)...why would you even romotely care about somebody who's fighting for their division lead and a wild card?!?  All the Sox need to worry about it who's behind them in the division...period!  f*** the A's!

If the Sox have the best record in the league at the end of the season and the A's get the wildcard we will meet in 1st round of the playoffs. Check out our stats vs them and see why some people are worried.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
If the Sox have the best record in the league at the end of the season and the A's get the wildcard we will meet in 1st round of the playoffs. Check out our stats vs them and see why some people are worried.

If we can't beat the A's when we have homefield advantage, we don't deserve to win the World Series. I actually think we match up better against the A's in the playoffs than we do the other teams.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)

What does that have to do with looking over your shoulder?!? Personally...I couldn't give a s*** less who the Sox play in the playoffs. To tell you the truth...I hope the Yankees start winnin and get the wildcard (doubtful). But it really makes know difference to me...just gotta take care of yer own biz.

I worry about the meeting either the A's or the Angels in the playoffs...big time. There is almost no doubt it will be one of them in the 1st round. I'd rather see the A's win the west so that we face the Angels in round 1. Believe it or not, I don't fear the Yanks or Bo-Sox at all. If we get past the west in that 1st round, we have a real good chance of getting to the WS.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
No need to worry about this.  If they manage to pass the Sox for the best record in the AL, the Sox will still be in the playoffs.  And hopefully, someone else can take 'em out before we have to mess with them.

If the A's do end up with Home Field Advantage, which is highly unlikely then the playoff matchups could work out like this:

Boston @ Oakland

Anaheim @ White Sox

I'd peronally rather face the A's in the playoffs. If we can't beat them in the playoffs, then we don't deserve to be there in the first place.

If Anaheim wins the West:

Boston/Anaheim @ Anaheim/Boston

Oakland @ White Sox

f*** oakland, why the hell are we thinking about them, cleveland has been doing pretty damn good lately if i dont say so myself, IMO the twins are out and the injuries have hurt them even my friend who is a twins fan admitted that they are done. Everyone is forgetting that the indians have been doin pretty damn good lately and are able to catch up to us now that their team is starting to hit a little better

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:36 AM)
f*** oakland, why the hell are we thinking about them, cleveland has been doing pretty damn good lately if i dont say so myself, IMO the twins are out and  the injuries have hurt them even my friend who is a twins fan admitted that they are done.  Everyone is forgetting that the indians have been doin pretty damn good lately and are able to catch up to us now that their team is starting to hit a little better

Indians have an incredibly easy schedule the rest of the way. It's too bad they didn't trade away some of their guys at the deadline. I think they have a more realistic chance at giving us a battle down the stretch (sure, it's a longshot...but crazier things have happened).