9/27 Game Thread

fathom

That's was a pretty good pitching job by Brandon for 5 1/3 innings. Get him in the starting rotation next season.

Come on Sox, let's end the season on a winning note. We can play the spoiler for the Twins. I would rather see the Tigers win the division then the Twins.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
There are so many other ways that we could spend money and talent this offseason rather than finding a great backup Right Hand hitting catcher.

We will win more games with 1 more quality relief pitcher than we will with a backup righty catcher instead of Stew.

All I'm asking for is a back-up catcher who can hit over .200, especially after facing the tough lefties in the division. Widger was perfect in the role last season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
We will win more games with 1 more quality relief pitcher than we will with a backup righty catcher instead of Stew.

Ding ding ding.

It is the least of our worries. In fact our bullpen is one of the most needed areas to improve, it was why we were so good in 2005. If we get BMAC in throwing like he is throwing, improve the pen, and swap out an SP and PODS for a lead off hitter, I think just that gets us in the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
All I'm asking for is a back-up catcher who can hit over .200, especially after facing the tough lefties in the division. Widger was perfect in the role last season.

Widger?

Man you must hate Stewart something awful.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)

If Stewart could play better defense than Widger, would that make up for him having a poor BA?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
It is the least of our worries. In fact our bullpen is one of the most needed areas to improve, it was why we were so good in 2005. If we get BMAC in throwing like he is throwing, improve the pen, and swap out an SP and PODS for a lead off hitter, I think just that gets us in the playoffs.

Hell, we get into the playoffs if we stop playing Mackowiak in CF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
If Stewart could play better defense than Widger, would that make up for him having a poor BA?

Why can't we just bring back Miguel Olivo!!!!! :P

If kalapse is reading this, what problems do KW and Ozzie have with Tejada?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)

I have a feeling that Mackowiak won't be back next year. He's getting paid almost 3 million next year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
I have a feeling that Mackowiak won't be back next year. He's getting paid almost 3 million next year.

If I could trust Ozzie to use him right, I'd say to keep him. He's an excellent option off the bench.

I just think Ozzie's dumb enough to continue trying to platoon him out there. Or even to try to convince KW that it's ok to trade Anderson because they have Mackowiak. Or they don't need another backup outfielder because they have Mackowiak. Etc.

I'd love Mack as a backup/super utility guy. I just don't think Ozzie understands what that means.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:21 AM)
If I could trust Ozzie to use him right, I'd say to keep him. He's an excellent option off the bench.

I just think Ozzie's dumb enough to continue trying to platoon him out there. Or even to try to convince KW that it's ok to trade Anderson because they have Mackowiak. Or they don't need another backup outfielder because they have Mackowiak. Etc.

I'd love Mack as a backup/super utility guy. I just don't think Ozzie understands what that means.

I'm a huge Mackowiak fan, and always wanted him on the Sox. However, it's become a situation where I want him gone for the good of the team.....so he can't play CF anymore.

I realize people don't want to spend money on a backup catcher, and i agree....but regardless...chris stewart isnt the answer....its tough for me to fall in love with a guy who had an OPS of .707 in a tiny ballpark in charlotte

QUOTE(daa84 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I realize people don't want to spend money on a backup catcher, and i agree....but regardless...chris stewart isnt the answer....its tough for me to fall in love with a guy who had an OPS of .707 in a tiny ballpark in charlotte

When you consider he'll be facing the likes of C.C., Rogers, Liriano, Robertson, A. Miller, Randy Johnson, etc...I'd be absolutely stunned if he could hit over .190.

Fathom's concern for Stewart as our backup catcher is justified.

He hit .253/.282./.360 vs lefties down at Charlotte this year. That's brutal.

Considering all the tough lefties in this division, and the fact that more rest for AJ certainly wouldn't hurt, I wouldn't just give the spot to Stewart, either. I'm not talking about throwing $5 million at Greg Zaun this offseason, but look around for someone who can do a good enough job. Torrealba would be a good option, and I don't think he's the 'future' of the Rockies.

I don't see how having a crappy backup catcher next year is any different than having no backup CFer on the roster this season.

My god, who in the world is this idiot they have on the radio right now? The City didn't want the White Sox to win another trophy because they couldn't afford to spend the money for another title drive/celebration? Wow.

Edit: That would explain why Mack kept playing CF.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
Sheesh. Looking at the Twins boxscore...they have a guy with an ERA over 6 in their rotation and yet they will make the playoffs.

Silva's been a respectable #5 starter since the beginning of May. Not many pitchers can recover from a month with an ERA over 10. Just ask Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
Silva's been a respectable #5 starter since the beginning of May. Not many pitchers can recover from a month with an ERA over 10. Just ask Mark Buehrle.

Gardenhire also usually tries to pull him as soon as he can.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Man after the way B-Mac pitched tonight I am so glad we didn't have him in the rotation. It would have killed our playoff chances.

It will take him at least 4 months to stretch himself out to make a start anyways. Wait you mean he was able to go 5. How is that possible.