2007 White Sox Predictions Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 08:05 AM)
I forgot to add a prediction to my post:

Brandon McCarthy not only has a better 2007 season but will have a better career than any of Gavin Floyd, John Danks and Gio Gonzalez.

You are ready to make career predictions on Danks and Gonzalez? A little premature, no?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Sox win between 92-97 games, win close Division race

* Sox have 3 pitchers with 15 wins and 200IP

* Sox have 4 players with 30 HR, team hits 200 HR again

* Anderson has great ST, wins CF position and has solid year

* Erstad plays better than expected and starts in LF majority of year

* Vazquez finally pitches close to his potential

* AJ and Hall duo really shows its effectiveness late in season

* Massett and Logan fill out very effective bullpen

* Sox agree with Dye, Buehrle, and Iguchi to extensions during the season

* Thome has another huge April, hits 500 way sooner than expected

* Danks wins the 5th spot and makes the B-Mac trade look like a steal

AL Central

Sox

AL East

Yankees

AL West

Angels

Wild Card

Red Sox

At least I got a few right/close from last year:

* Sox have 3 players with 30 HRs

* Sox hit 200 HRs again

* Mackowiak plays more than expected

* Garland is not a one year wonder, pitches well

* Anderson starts out slow, then heats up

* AJ ups his BA to .280

* Sox have less one run games

* Sox lock up Contreras with new contract

Edited by RME JICO

I agree it's too early to predict 'til we see if anybody gets hurt, etc., in coming weeks.

As of today, I have a feeling we're going to win the division.

I don't know why, though.

I hope Detroit slips this year. I am tired of the Tigers and Kenny Rogers.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
* Sox win between 92-97 games, win close Division race

* Sox have 3 pitchers with 15 wins and 200IP

* Sox have 4 players with 30 HR, team hits 200 HR again

* Anderson has great ST, wins CF position and has solid year

* Erstad plays better than expected and starts in LF majority of year

* Vazquez finally pitches close to his potential

* AJ and Hall duo really shows its effectiveness late in season

* Massett and Logan fill out very effective bullpen

* Sox agree with Dye, Buehrle, and Iguchi to extensions during the season

* Thome has another huge April, hits 500 way sooner than expected

AL Central

Sox

AL East

Yankees

AL West

Angels

Wild Card

Red Sox

At least I got a few right/close from last year:

I'm hoping you are a psychic.

I think we'll win over 90 games again and make the playoffs, with a good chance to win it all.

I also predict another person in my section will get his face taken off by a line drive, blood will be everywhere, and the section will stink like bleach, again.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 07:09 AM)
Here is your chance to amaze and impress your friends. The main prediction we want to see is what the White Sox record will be, and where they will finish in the AL Central, and further if you feel so. Feel free to add in any other predictions such as Konerko SBs and Ozuna HRs that you feel are pertinent.

:cheers

I'm predicting the White Sox will be 102-60.

Prediction:

It's June and the Sox are lurking near the top of the division. Suddenly, Pods re-injures his groin. Just before the break, Erstad's hammy takes him down as he dives for a gapper (and makes the catch). Fans dive into foxholes. Yet additions Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, who've been tearing it up in Charlotte, spark the lineup. Suddenly team speed becomes a factor again. The pitching responds and the team rides a wave of momentum into September. Yet the Tigers, as predicted, match them every step of the way. The last 3 games of the season will determine the division winner. On Sunday afternoon, Pablo Ozuna sticks his bat out and slices a Joel Zumaya fastball just inside the fairpole in right. Sox win. Detroit accepts the role as Wild Card and travels to Boston, where they promptly dispose of the overhyped carmines. Erstad haunts his old team as the Sox trounce the Angels. Sox meet the Tigers in the ALCS. Despite the build-up and national attention given to this series, it proves to be no contest. Sox sweep, and move on to face the Los Angeles Dodgers in a re-match of the '59 series.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Prediction:

It's June and the Sox are lurking near the top of the division. Suddenly, Pods re-injures his groin. Just before the break, Erstad's hammy takes him down as he dives for a gapper (and makes the catch). Fans dive into foxholes. Yet additions Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, who've been tearing it up in Charlotte, spark the lineup. Suddenly team speed becomes a factor again. The pitching responds and the team rides a wave of momentum into September. Yet the Tigers, as predicted, match them every step of the way. The last 3 games of the season will determine the division winner. On Sunday afternoon, Pablo Ozuna sticks his bat out and slices a Joel Zumaya fastball just inside the fairpole in right. Sox win. Detroit accepts the role as Wild Card and travels to Boston, where they promptly dispose of the overhyped carmines. Erstad haunts his old team as the Sox trounce the Angels. Sox meet the Tigers in the ALCS. Despite the build-up and national attention given to this series, it proves to be no contest. Sox sweep, and move on to face the Los Angeles Dodgers in a re-match of the '59 series.

I'll buy the rights to that storyline. :gosox3:

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 08:05 AM)
I forgot to add a prediction to my post:

Brandon McCarthy not only has a better 2007 season but will have a better career than any of Gavin Floyd, John Danks and Gio Gonzalez.

:bang

Seriously?? Another one??? Perhaps you can help construct his wing in Cooperstown as well?? He IS, aferall, BRANDON MCCARTHY!!

I am starting to think you may have had too much of this.... :drink

Now, my predictions:

1- White Sox (93-69)- Fixed pen helps early on, 5th starter does fine, big 4 get off their asses, offense rocks.

2- Cleveland (89-73)- Offense still monstrous, starting pitching does reasonably well, pen still a problem.

3- Detroit (88-74)- Pitching suffers from WS hangover, offense still undisciplined, no insane hot start to rely on.

4- Minnesota (84-78)- Starting pitching falls off tremendously after Johan, Piranhas come down to earth.

5- KC (62-100)- Bad, Bad, Bad. Enjoy Gil Meche.

Edited by chisox72

Al Central Standings:

1) Detroit 94-68

2) Chicago 92-70

3) Cleveland 88-74

4) Minnesota 84-78

5) KC 66-96

Al East:

1) NY

2) Boston

3) Toronto

4) Baltimore

5) TB

AL West: Go on a limb saying no team in this div wins 90+

1) Angels

2) Mariners

3) As

4) Rangers

NL Central

1) Cardinals

2) Cubs

3) Reds

4) Astros

5) Brew

6) Pit

NL East

1) Mets

2) Braves

3) Phils

4) Marlins

5) Nats

NL West

1) Pads

2) Dodgers

3) Giants

4) Dbacks

5) Rocks

White Sox Predictions:

Settle for the Wild Card: Reasoning: AL West is gonna be very weak this year with As losing Zito, Angels are relying on youth. No strong team capable of a WC spot.

Buehrles era back in the 3s this year.

Jenks leads league in saves.

Floyd becomes our 5th man.

Sox among league leaders in steals.

Sox record is 90-72.

Offense stays solid, even improves slighty on last year. Bullpen greatly improves. Starting pitching remains around the same. Buehrle's era returns to around 4. Vasquez wins 16 games. Garland wins 17. Contreras gets injured for a month +. The team fails to keep 5 consistent starters on the field but the pen and offense bail the team out. They make the playoffs but are beat up and they lose in the ALCS to the yankees.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 06:26 AM)
Sox record is 90-62.

Offense stays solid, even improves slighty on last year. Bullpen greatly improves. Starting pitching remains around the same. Buehrle's era returns to around 4. Vasquez wins 16 games. Garland wins 17. Contreras gets injured for a month +. The team fails to keep 5 consistent starters on the field but the pen and offense bail the team out. They make the playoffs but are beat up and they lose in the ALCS to the yankees.

Is there a strike causing the league to play 10 less games?

Anyone else get the feeling that the big story this season is going to be Joe Crede? I just have this feeling that he's going to be a .300/40/100 guy, win a gold glove and be a serious candidate for MVP. A solid player like Joe is likely to have one of those seasons where they put it all together and just go off, not that they'll sustain it through their career.