Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
Their live shows with Nels have been great. Their albums with him have been incredibly boring but I wouldn't say it is his fault.

I think it has more to do with the more "mellow" approach Tweedy takes to writing then any of the new additions to the band.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 03:28 AM)
Go listen to Kicking Television again and then tell me where the band is "pleasant/boring". And then tell where you think Nels sounds "disgusting and Kenny G-esque."

kicking television is nearly all songs crafted before they had kenny g at guitar.

go to 1:55

(http://bit.ly/aXSL5q)

That's a guardian article about the lack of politics in "blog-rock" (in other words "I couldn't describe it so I came up with a really condescending genre name to get more page views")

I think it's fairly silly, and short sighted one what qualifies as political. I suppose he TOTALLY supports that fantastic black eyed peas song about obama, huh?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
Cali might appreciate the fact that fun. is playing VEISHEA here in Ames.

You should go see them, they're great live. I saw 3 times in the span of 7 months last year haha

New Angels & Airwaves "LOVE" available for free right now....

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
You should go see them, they're great live. I saw 3 times in the span of 7 months last year haha

New Angels & Airwaves "LOVE" available for free right now....

So you're saying they should be ok for a free concert? ;)

They're on tour with Motion City Soundtrack, so there's a very good chance that MCS is the headliner for VEISHEA.

VEISHEA announces its bands:

Motion City Soundtrack will play Friday evening along with fun., which is opening after the annual Veishea Battle of the Bands. Hellogoodbye is the headliner for Saturday night along with Grammy award-winning country group Emerson Drive, Ames natives Leslie and the LYs and The Envy Corps, and Canadian hip-hop band Down With Webster.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
So I'm playing drums in a ska punk Boston covers band, "Deplorable Feelings." We played our first show in front of about 10 people (give or take).

Next stop: sold out Allstate Arena.

YouTube video please!!!

I saw Chevelle, Sick Puppies, and Janus last night at the Riviera Theater. Janus, a local product, kicked things off nicely - I think they have some real potential. I wasn't too familiar with Sick Puppies, but they sounded pretty good and did a nice job of keeping the crowd involved with the show. I'm definitely going to check out more of their music as a result of seeing them live. Chevelle was a little stale at times, but overall came through with a really nice show. I have seen them a few times and I think they do a nice job, but they pale in comparison to a band like Tool. On a side note, David Draiman of Disturbed was there checking out the show from a private balcony.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
I saw Chevelle, Sick Puppies, and Janus last night at the Riviera Theater. Janus, a local product, kicked things off nicely - I think they have some real potential. I wasn't too familiar with Sick Puppies, but they sounded pretty good and did a nice job of keeping the crowd involved with the show. I'm definitely going to check out more of their music as a result of seeing them live. Chevelle was a little stale at times, but overall came through with a really nice show. I have seen them a few times and I think they do a nice job, but they pale in comparison to a band like Tool. On a side note, David Draiman of Disturbed was there checking out the show from a private balcony.

Janus rocks, I love Chevelle and Tool.