Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Upcoming Concerts:

Feb 26th - We Were Promised Jetpacks

Mar 9th - Manchester Orchestra

Apr 10th - MUSE in Las Vegas

Apr 24th - Angels & Airwaves/Say Anything in Chicago

March 27th, the return of STP. So pissed because I just booked my trip to NO for work on that exact night. Hopefully the date gets changed because I want to see them so bad

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
I saw Chevelle, Sick Puppies, and Janus last night at the Riviera Theater. Janus, a local product, kicked things off nicely - I think they have some real potential. I wasn't too familiar with Sick Puppies, but they sounded pretty good and did a nice job of keeping the crowd involved with the show. I'm definitely going to check out more of their music as a result of seeing them live. Chevelle was a little stale at times, but overall came through with a really nice show. I have seen them a few times and I think they do a nice job, but they pale in comparison to a band like Tool. On a side note, David Draiman of Disturbed was there checking out the show from a private balcony.

I love Chevelle and they always put on a good show. I really need to see Tool in concert, thats probably #1 on my list of things i need to do in my life.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Whatever happened with their contract, wasn't it for 4 albums or something?

I really dont know how it was worked out, I never really asked Justin. I know it was not a happy seperation, and it took 5 years to get them back to square 1. They were working on a second album when they broke up, I dont know if they are staying with some of that music or starting fresh either.

Epic really liked them out of the gate, it was a shame to see them break up.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Upcoming Concerts:

Feb 26th - We Were Promised Jetpacks

Mar 9th - Manchester Orchestra

Apr 10th - MUSE in Las Vegas

Apr 24th - Angels & Airwaves/Say Anything in Chicago

I will be seeing Muse & Silversun Pickups on March 13. Looking forward to it.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
I love Chevelle and they always put on a good show. I really need to see Tool in concert, thats probably #1 on my list of things i need to do in my life.

Tool is incredible. Who knows how much longer they'll be touring, so if I were you, I would jump at the chance to see them if the opportunity arises. I've seen them probably six or seven times and while the music is amazing, the overall show is something you need to experience if you're even a borderline fan of theirs. Every time I leave a concert of theirs, I always say that it's the best show I had ever been to. They do not disappoint.

I cant stop playing the Wolfgang album but that Vampire Weekend absolutely blows. The reason I liked them before was because they sounded raw and it was just catchy fun music. They shat on that.

Also I want to add, if anyone see's Citizen Cope tickets at the Vic for Friday at a cheaper rate than $100 let me know please.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I cant stop playing the Wolfgang album but that Vampire Weekend absolutely blows. The reason I liked them before was because they sounded raw and it was just catchy fun music. They shat on that.

Also I want to add, if anyone see's Citizen Cope tickets at the Vic for Friday at a cheaper rate than $100 let me know please.

I dont think i would ever categorize vampire weekend as raw. And they pretty much just made the same record with different songs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
I dont think i would ever categorize vampire weekend as raw. And they pretty much just made the same record with different songs.

Actually I would say you are wrong on every point but I probably have never agreed with you on anything in this thread.

For older fogeys in the crowd into progressive thrash and well...just thrash period...Voivod was masterful later night in Springfield, Va. Kreator was great too, but Voivod was simply amazing. Tremendous players and the music Denis (Piggy) wrote defined the word unique. They will probably be calling it a day soon, but it was one special last blast from the past. Also, Michel Langevin (drummer, Away) is probably the most down-to-earth musician I've ever met. The guy is amazing. I probably went to 200+ gigs back in the day and this one will stay with me forever. YOU ROCK Michael....and Voivod...but damned, wish you guys coulda played longer.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
For older fogeys in the crowd into progressive thrash and well...just thrash period...Voivod was masterful later night in Springfield, Va. Kreator was great too, but Voivod was simply amazing. Tremendous players and the music Denis (Piggy) wrote defined the word unique. They will probably be calling it a day soon, but it was one special last blast from the past. Also, Michael Langevin (drummer, Away) is probably the most down-to-earth musician I've ever met. The guy is amazing. I probably went to 200+ gigs back in the day and this one will stay with me forever. YOU ROCK Michael....and Voivod...but damned, wish you guys coulda played longer.

And if any Chicagoland Soxtalkers were inspired by this review, Kreator and Voivod are playing the Bottom Lounge in Chicago next Friday, March 12th.

Thanks Critic. Voivod is one of my favorite bands ever so I had to give 'em a plug. They probably would be called "progressive thrash"...an early influence of prog-metal. I personally like their more technical yet faster, more aggressive stuff (Killing Technology, 1987) than their all-out prog metal stuff (Nothingface), but for folks into superb musicianship, odd time signatures, a desire to use lots of minor keys, innovative song structures, conceptual weirdness combined with hardcore punk, heavy thrash, jazz and just plain ole' boogie woogie rock music, this band has never left me wanting more.

But they are so weird sound and unique many people don't get them. They are sorta like a super fast and heavy Pink Floyd (even have covered a couple Floyd songs, including Astronomy Domine).

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
Thanks Critic. Voivod is one of my favorite bands ever so I had to give 'em a plug. They probably would be called "progressive thrash"...an early influence of prog-metal. I personally like their more technical yet faster, more aggressive stuff (Killing Technology, 1987) than their all-out prog metal stuff (Nothingface), but for folks into superb musicianship, odd time signatures, a desire to use lots of minor keys, innovative song structures, conceptual weirdness combined with hardcore punk, heavy thrash, jazz and just plain ole' boogie woogie rock music, this band has never left me wanting more.

But they are so weird sound and unique many people don't get them. They are sorta like a super fast and heavy Pink Floyd (even have covered a couple Floyd songs, including Astronomy Domine).

To be honest, I like Voivod better when they kind of strip it down a little. My favorite Voivod song is Gasmask Revival. I'm not much for the prog-thrash stuff in general. It's interesting, but it doesn't hook me. I'm a sucker for a song with a catchy chorus, a riff that sticks in your head like Super-Glue, and a ripping solo.