Bobby Jenks...

PWSox87

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATS to Bobby. I'm just glad he did it today, you know if he had tried to tie this in Oakland something weird would happen like somebody ghost riding onto the field, causing an infield single, and costing Bobby the record. Let's just hope he gets the leadoff man next time he's out there and can be all alone in the record books.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
There isn't even a mention of it in ESPN's News section on their MLB front page. Maybe they don't even know it happened.

there's no mention of it anywhere...

Hell, there's even no mention of it on Whitesox.com.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)

That's probably part of the problem. If nothing else, the team needs to put out a press release or something just to try to get that noticed.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)

At least Rotoworld was aware of Bobby's accomplishment:

"Bobby Jenks tied a major league record on Sunday by retiring the 41st consecutive batter he faced.

Jenks pitched a scoreless ninth with the White Sox down 6-0. When he retired Yuniesky Betancourt to complete the inning, it tied him with the Giants' Jim Barr for the most consecutive batters retired. The streak, dating back to July 17, has lowered Jenks' ERA almost a full run."

First and foremost, Congratulations to Bobby! :notworthy

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
Can you imagine how big this would be if Jonathan Papelbon had tied the record? There would be countless updates, in-progress video from ESPN and the MLB section of their website probably wouldn't have a picture of Aaron Harang on the front page right now. It's a shame Bobby will get so little national attention for an amazing accomplishment.

I complete agree. This is the ESPN-ization of sports... A truly awesome record like this just isn't sexy enough, and more importantly to them, it doesn't feed any narrative that they are pushing.

Just like how the political media has destroyed discourse with the narrowing of speeches to soundbites, sports media has distain for anything that is longer than a homerun or a "web gem." This record happened three outs at a time over the period of weeks. ESPN et al. doesn't have the attention span for that.

This streak has to be one of the hardest to achieve. After all these years of baseball, and the record is only 41. Then to do it in today's day and age makes it even more amazing.

Bobby has had to be perfect every batter for 41 straight (no hits, no walks, no HBP, no balks, no passed balls, no reached on error, no sacrifices, etc). That is actually unbelievable when you think about it.

I wonder how many pitches Bobby has thrown during this streak, and whether that could be another record of sorts (ie. 200 pitches without a baserunner).

GAME                                                            BATTER
=======================================================================
SOX@CLE 17JUL07
BOTTOM 9
- B. Jenks relieved C. Haeger
- T. Nixon singled to center
- R. Garko hit for K. Shoppach
- R. Garko homered to deep left, T. Nixon scored
- M. Rouse grounded out to second                               1
- G. Sizemore grounded out to first                             2
- C. Blake flied out to center                                  3

SOX@BOS 19JUL07
BOTTOM 9
- B. Jenks relieved R. Bukvich
- J. Lugo grounded out to second                                4
- C. Crisp struck out swinging                                  5 K
- D. Pedroia fouled out to third                                6

DET@SOX 24JUL07 (GAME 1)
TOP 9
- B. Jenks relieved J. Vazquez
- P. Polanco grounded out to pitcher                            7
- G. Sheffield grounded out to pitcher                          8
- M. Ordonez flied out to right                                 9

DET@SOX 24JUL07 (GAME 2)
TOP 9
- B. Jenks relieved M. Thornton
- M. Hessman flied out to left                                  10
- M. Rabelo lined into double play second to shortstop          11

DET@SOX 26JUL07
TOP 9
- B. Jenks relieved E. Wassermann
- I. Rodriguez struck out swinging                              12 K
- C. Monroe grounded out to shortstop                           13
- B. Inge struck out looking                                    14 K

TOR@SOX 27JUL07
TOP 9
- M. Stairs grounded out to second                              15
- R. Clayton struck out swinging                                16 K
- R. Johnson flied out to deep right center                     17

TOR@SOX 28JUL07
TOP 9
- B. Jenks relieved M. Buehrle
- V. Wells grounded out to third                                18
- F. Thomas struck out swinging                                 19 K
- A. Hill grounded out to third                                 20

SOX@NYY 01AUG07
BOTTOM 8
- B. Jenks relieved C. Haeger
- A. Phillips flied out to left center                          21
- S. Duncan flied out to deep left                              22
- M. Cabrera flied out to deep right                            23

SOX@NYY 02AUG07
BOTTOM 9
- B. Jenks relieved M. MacDougal
- H. Matsui struck out looking                                  24 K
- J. Molina flied out to left center                            25
- R. Cano struck out looking                                    26 K

SOX@DET 04AUG07
BOTTOM 9
- M. Hessman popped out to first                                27
- C. Monroe flied out to center                                 28
- B. Inge struck out swinging                                   29 K

SOX@DET 05AUG07
BOTTOM 9
- R. Raburn flied out to center                                 30
- M. Rabelo struck out swinging                                 31 K
- M. Hessman struck out swinging                                32 K

CLE@SOX 08AUG07
TOP 9
- B. Jenks relieved R. Bukvich
- C. Blake grounded out to third                                33
- F. Gutierrez grounded out to shortstop                        34
- R. Garko grounded out to pitcher                              35

SEA@SOX 10AUG07
TOP 9
- J. Lopez struck out swinging                                  36 K
- Y. Betancourt grounded out to shortstop                       37
- I. Suzuki grounded out to third                               38

SEA@SOX 12AUG07
TOP 9
- B. Jenks relieved M. Thornton
- A. Jones grounded out to pitcher                              39
- J. Burke lined out to right                                   40
- Y. Betancourt grounded out to shortstop                       41

this is an incredible record and im not taking anything at all away from bobby here

but do you guys buy what hawk ozzie and coop said, that its harder to do as a reliever?i think it is harder to do as a starter.....you have guys that will see you 3 times in the same game and your arm is more fatigued after 100 or so pitches....on the other hand its difficult to get in a groove as a reliever and you sometimes have to come in when you aren't 100% warmed up, and it can be tough to have control after just a short time in the pen....also you are facing the pressures of the late inning situation, however, as a starter you are potentially and probably facing the pressures of throwing a perfect game...

its debatable and remarkable either way so it may be a moot point, but what do you guys think?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
this is an incredible record and im not taking anything at all away from bobby here

but do you guys buy what hawk ozzie and coop said, that its harder to do as a reliever?i think it is harder to do as a starter.....you have guys that will see you 3 times in the same game and your arm is more fatigued after 100 or so pitches....on the other hand its difficult to get in a groove as a reliever and you sometimes have to come in when you aren't 100% warmed up, and it can be tough to have control after just a short time in the pen....also you are facing the pressures of the late inning situation, however, as a starter you are potentially and probably facing the pressures of throwing a perfect game...

its debatable and remarkable either way so it may be a moot point, but what do you guys think?

Steve Stone was talking a little bit about the record Jenks tied today, how Jim Barr did it by finishing one game perfect and then throwing a perfect game for about the first seven innings of his next start...so really, I just think it's harder for a reliever to do it if only because it covers a longer span of time. Jenks has appeared 14 times in this streak, which dates back to July 17 -- nearly a month; Barr retired 41 straight in the same week.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)

I think there might be an good argument that it is more difficult as a reliever. Jim Barr, who held the record alone before today, had to get 41 in two appearances over seven days (23AUG72 & 29AUG72), where as Bobby did it in 14 appearances over 27 days. I'd say you could argue that it is more difficult stay perfect for nearly a month against seven different teams than for a week against two teams.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
I think there might be an good argument that it is more difficult as a reliever. Jim Barr, who held the record alone before today, had to get 41 in two appearances over seven days (23AUG72 & 29AUG72), where as Bobby did it in 14 appearances over 27 days. I'd say you could argue that it is more difficult stay perfect for nearly a month against seven different teams than for a week against two teams.

Awesome. You said almost exactly what I did.

The guy is becoming a pitcher in the closers role. And that makes him pretty damn dangerous for the opposition. Congrats to the Big Guy on this great accomplishment.

His WHIP for the season is under 1, and his second half WHIP is .38.

Edited by southsideirish71

I can not believe he tied the record today and I couldn't see it since I had to go to a family function. All they wanted to do was watch golf so I had to miss this :crying. Congrats to Bobby on tying the record since it is amazing he did it as a reliever. I hope to see him break it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
The guy is becoming a pitcher in the closers role. And that makes him pretty damn dangerous for the opposition. Congrats to the Big Guy on this great accomplishment.

His WHIP for the season is under 1, and his second half WHIP is .38.

That second half WHIP is absolutely insane.

Congrats Bobby! What an outstanding feat. :gosox2: