CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

Hang on to him til the end of spring training at least. Injuries are piling up on plenty of teams (including ours). As the season gets closer, demand will go up.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that one of our key guys gets hurt either. (ex. Thome... Jim hasn't hit squat yet this spring. Makes me wonder a little about health issues.)

As thin as our minors are, it sure would be handy to have Crede around in case that happened. (Crede at 3rd and Fields DH in that situation. And I really like the idea above of having Fields DH against lefties.)

Why trade Crede now for a bucket of balls just to move him? Makes no sense when he may turn out to be useful... or even necessary.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
That's always apossibility. Or we can sign Crede, send Fields down to learn to play 1B or trade Thome and put Fields in at DH

Again, more Crede fanboys and their everquest to move everyone on the team around just to keep their player. Lets trade Konerko, Thome, Fields so we can keep a guy coming off injury who has Boras as his client. Makes sense.

Edited by southsideirish71

That's always apossibility. Or we can sign Crede, send Fields down to learn to play 1B or trade Thome and put Fields in at DH

That would be an idiotic, massive downgrade to the offense. Defend Crede's ST performace so far: 2-13, 3 errors made.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
His stock is still very low right now. Keep him til the trade deadline, hopefully he'll have a great first half of the season. Then we can get a boat load for him.

I think Crede has to stay and will be the starter on opening day. Even though Fields doesn't need any more time at the AAA level, keeping him there is probably the best option. Who knows if Crede or Thome can avoid staying off the DL this year, plus Dye is always an injury threat. I wish they wouldn't have ruled out Fields playing in left field because if Dye were to go down, I'd like to see from left to right Fields/Swisher/Quentin or Fields/Owens/Swisher, unfortunately it'd probably be Owens/Swisher/Quentin.

Probably the best possible thing to do in regards to injuries is play it by ear. But there's not reason to trade Crede for a few bats and a bag of balls.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Move Konerko to Anaheim while he is ripping the cover off the ball. Put Fields at first, leave Swisher in left.

If you want to move Konerko because he will be a 5 and 10 guy sure I can understand.

If you want to move Konerko because you are a Crede-fanboy and will trade anyone, and Jingle the lineup because you have this fantasy that he really really likes it here. And then you completely suspend belief and think that Boras and the sox will come up with a long time deal. I think you will wind up sad and confused in a bit.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
Again, more Crede fanboys and their everquest to move everyone on the team around just to keep their player. Lets trade Konerko, Thome, Fields so we can keep a guy coming off injury who has Boras as his client. Makes sense.

Don't be so critical. The sky is not falling because Joe Crede had back surgery. I always remember Tommy John, et al. :cheers

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
If you want to move Konerko because he will be a 5 and 10 guy sure I can understand.

If you want to move Konerko because you are a Crede-fanboy and will trade anyone, and Jingle the lineup because you have this fantasy that he really really likes it here. And then you completely suspend belief and think that Boras and the sox will come up with a long time deal. I think you will wind up sad and confused in a bit.

Maybe he does like it here. Why is it wrong in your opinion to be a fan of a real good Sox player? I think we can suspend with the sarcastic criticism of other Sox fans can't we? You have an opinion and others of us have different ones. It don't make it wrong by any means. :gosoxretro:

Edited by elrockinMT

If the Sox do move Konerko, which they won't, they would put Swisher at 1B and have an Owens/Quentin/Dye outfield. And I honestly don't think you are going to get more at the trade deadline for a rent-a-player in the Boras camp.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
Maybe he does like it here. Why is it wrong in your opinion to be a fan of a real good Sox player? I think we can suspend with the sarcastic criticism of other Sox fans can't we? You have an opinion and others of us have different ones. It don't make it wrong by any means. :gosoxretro:

I am a fan of the whitesox first and foremost. I have seen a lot of players a hell of a lot better than Mr. Crede get moved and released over my timeline. I have not been happy with them, but understand that this is a business. Yet we keep seeing thread after thread on moving every single player, trading guys that produce a hell of a lot more than Crede, and then poof he will sign a long term deal based on faith and nothing more. A open forum like this is for the posting and debating of opinion. You make a point, I make a counter point. I base my views on documented evidence, you base it on how you really really really like the player.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)

It has been proven time and time and time and time and time again that Boras will almost assuredly get his client to free agency so they can hit up the biggest deal possible, and that you will only resign said player if you give him what Boras is looking for right away. Included as well is that the White Sox and Scott Boras do not have a good relationship with each other at all.

It's not really opinion at this point; it is fact. If Joe Crede retains Scott Boras as his agent - and he assuredly will, because he wants to cash in so he can go lay on his couch for 25 years - then he will hit the free agent market, will not be eligible as a type A player, and will not be a member of the White Sox next year. So, that leaves the Sox with two options, either trade him and get some value while you have a stud waiting in the wings, or keep him, let Fields rot in AAA, and then lose him for nothing in the offseason.

Simple economics makes this an easy decision.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
If the Sox do move Konerko, which they won't, they would put Swisher at 1B and have an Owens/Quentin/Dye outfield. And I honestly don't think you are going to get more at the trade deadline for a rent-a-player in the Boras camp.

we got scraps for non boras guys mackowiak and iguchi, so i agree we wont get anything good for crede at the deadline either, and i dont think we will get much more than that for him now

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)

Whew! Good thing I don't think that!

We're kind of up a creek without paddle with regards to Crede because he hasn't proven to have a ton of value on the trade market due to his injury and free agent status. Might as well hang onto him because I think he will have a good season and help us.

As for Konerko, he's got some value but age is going to start creeping up on him sometime soon. Anaheim still seems like the most likely trade partner, maybe getting Kendrick and Santana for him? It seems to me that would make the team better this year and in the future.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
I have a question for Crede's crew.

In their prime, perfectly healthy. Which would you rather have on your team.

1.) Robin Ventura

or

2.) Joe Crede

I think they're pretty comparable offensively, with Ventura hitting for a little better average and Crede having a little more power. Defense, give me Crede.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
I am a fan of the whitesox first and foremost. I have seen a lot of players a hell of a lot better than Mr. Crede get moved and released over my timeline. I have not been happy with them, but understand that this is a business. Yet we keep seeing thread after thread on moving every single player, trading guys that produce a hell of a lot more than Crede, and then poof he will sign a long term deal based on faith and nothing more. A open forum like this is for the posting and debating of opinion. You make a point, I make a counter point. I base my views on documented evidence, you base it on how you really really really like the player.

I think your opinion is quite one sided, but it's yours. I respect that, but don't tell me that Crede supporters, or a supporter of any other Sox player. don't also have valid arguments for their views.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
I think they're pretty comparable offensively, with Ventura hitting for a little better average and Crede having a little more power. Defense, give me Crede.

I always liked Rockin Robin

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
It has been proven time and time and time and time and time again that Boras will almost assuredly get his client to free agency so they can hit up the biggest deal possible, and that you will only resign said player if you give him what Boras is looking for right away. Included as well is that the White Sox and Scott Boras do not have a good relationship with each other at all.

It's not really opinion at this point; it is fact. If Joe Crede retains Scott Boras as his agent - and he assuredly will, because he wants to cash in so he can go lay on his couch for 25 years - then he will hit the free agent market, will not be eligible as a type A player, and will not be a member of the White Sox next year. So, that leaves the Sox with two options, either trade him and get some value while you have a stud waiting in the wings, or keep him, let Fields rot in AAA, and then lose him for nothing in the offseason.

Simple economics makes this an easy decision.

I do think it would be nice to keep options open for 2009 and beyond because I don't see the talent in our farm system being able to step up for awhile. We have tendd to strip our own system and if we let a talent like Crede and Fields both go we lose again. I like Konerko, Thome and others a lot, but if arguments are made Boorass clients then the same could be made about old age, injury and deterioating (sp) skills

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Whatever, I want a guy who to stay and you want to get rid of him at any cost and I'm the one with the bad attitude. I actually do love the White Sox, but I just don't agree with everything they do.

I want Crede to stay in a Sox uniform too :gosoxretro: