Reed Johnson

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
.773 OPS and 104 OPS+ He gets on base via the leaning elbow (5 HBP all of which were fastballs just off the inside corner that nicked his elbow guard) and hits singles. Fun player.

Carlos Quentin's OPS is over 220 point higher that Mr Johnson's.

I'll even go a step further and say I would rather have Brian Anderson out there versus Reed Johnson.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets get an update on Reed Johnson's kickass season.

AVG: .257 (56th out of 75 qualified MLB OF)

OBP: .336 (49th out of 75 qualified MLB OF)

SLG: .297 (74th out of 75 qualified MLB OF)

OPS: .633 (69th out of 75 qualified MLB OF)

WHERE ART THOU EASYW?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2008 -> 04:18 AM)
Yo fathom, is Reed Johnson still a "superb" pickup? You had me rollin' when you said that s***.

Yes he is...when they start playing him against lefties only, he'll get his average back up into the .280 to .300 range. He's proof though of why certain guys should never be full time starters.

Those numbers should come back up... plus they don't speak to his defense, and I don't yet know of a stat that accuratley captures grinderness.

I still think he is a quality pick up, and its just too bad he wouldn't fit on this Sox team. I like watching him play because, numbers aside, he makes things happen on the field - kinda like Ozuna in 2005-06...

QUOTE (easyw @ May 10, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
Those numbers should come back up... plus they don't speak to his defense, and I don't yet know of a stat that accuratley captures grinderness.

I still think he is a quality pick up, and its just too bad he wouldn't fit on this Sox team. I like watching him play because, numbers aside, he makes things happen on the field - kinda like Ozuna in 2005-06...

I know he does make some brilliant catches (vs Nationals) but yesterday he made a pretty dumb play diving for a ball in front of him and letting it get past him for a triple.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (easyw @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
With Soriano out, I think the next few weeks will tell the story on Johnson - he is going to see a lot more playing time.

I think that story's already been told...he's a below average overall hitter who has had 1 good season and 1 solid season in his career; he's a good platoon option because he hits lefties very well but doesn't hit righties for s***. Pretty much a 4th outfielder.

Looked like a bad night for Reed on the highlights I just saw. He was caught trying to steal 3rd with two outs in a very close, low scoring game to end an inning. Then, he inexplicably tried to bunt with runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs in a 3-2 game. Not shocking with Reed's lack of speed, he was thrown out to end the game. It was a tough play, as was the throw to get him at 3rd, but that's double dumb baseball right there.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
Looked like a bad night for Reed on the highlights I just saw. He was caught trying to steal 3rd with two outs in a very close, low scoring game to end an inning. Then, he inexplicably tried to bunt with runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs in a 3-2 game. Not shocking with Reed's lack of speed, he was thrown out to end the game. It was a tough play, as was the throw to get him at 3rd, but that's double dumb baseball right there.

No way he made either of those plays on his own. Those are both called in the dugout, I would almost guarentee you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
No way he made either of those plays on his own. Those are both called in the dugout, I would almost guarentee you.

You really think the bench would call for a bunt base hit in a 3-2 ballgame with 2 outs?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
They were trying to catch them asleep. I didn't see the play, but it sounds like Longoria made an awesome play just to get the out.

He did and the 1B miracously held on to the ball that bounced up to his chest right before Johnson bumped him hard crossing the bag. I may be as dumb as Johnson, but I was actually thinking the same idea when he came to the plate. Longoria was playing back and the Rays looked a little shaken. Longoria just made it happen.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
They were trying to catch them asleep. I didn't see the play, but it sounds like Longoria made an awesome play just to get the out.

Yeah, Longoria was playing even or just behind the bag and had to run to about the pitchers mound and bare hand it. There are very few 3B in the league that could have made the play. His defense has been pretty hyped up for a rookie but he looked damn good on that play.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)

Well whoever called it is stupid. I understand it was a really good defensive play, but if your going to bunt there, you better be sure the runner will be safe at 1st without a throw. It can't be that close on a bunt with 2 outs in the 9th and losing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 06:56 AM)

It took an above average play to get Johnson out. I thought he had gotten an infield hit but Longoria made a nice grab and Pena made an even better dig at first. That said, was it really a bunt? IFor some reason I thought it was a swinging bunt but I wasn't paying too close of attention to the highlights.