Opening Day Starting lineup questions

southsideirish71

Guillen originally had talked about using Pablo Ozuna and his .300 career average at second base and in the leadoff slot against C.C. Sabathia, but decided to go with Juan Uribe at second. The one-time White Sox shortstop will hit ninth, with Nick Swisher moving to left field and assuming the leadoff role until the small tear in Jerry Owens' sore right groin heals.

Hopefully this is a typo by Phil Rogers.

So we have a guy named Pablo who hits .400 against CC, and gets on base over .400 OBP with a .953 OPS. And we are starting Uribe who has a career .200BA against CC and a sub .600 career OPS against.

Help me with this one

Guillen listed the following lineup for the game against Indians' lefty C.C. Sabathia: left fielder Nick Swisher, shortstop Orlando Cabrera, designated hitter Jim Thome, first baseman Paul Konerko, right fielder Jermaine Dye, catcher A.J. Pierzynski, center fielder Ramirez, third baseman Crede and shortstop Juan Uribe

Thome is 0-11 lifetime against CC including 7ks.

The only one with success in the lineup on Monday against CC is Swisher who hits him at .385.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
you mean you didn't like the way Juan struck out with a runner on 3rd and one out tonight?

Maybe Pablo tired himself out with the 3 for 4 today. If Pablo isn't in to face the tough lefties, especially those he has success against why is he on the team.

I was so excited when I read that Ozzie was thinking about having Swish bat 3rd and have Ozuna start at 2B and leadoff vs. lefties. Owens going down messed this up I guess... since Ozzie and this organization have some sick delusion that Owens is a major league outfielder and leadoff hitter. The guy doesn't know how to hit, my dog can hit for power then him, he can't play a lick of D, and I'm pretty sure my dog also has a better arm. But since he has speed and can steal bases, he automatically becomes an above average MLB player and leadoff guy????

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Hopefully this is a typo by Phil Rogers.

So we have a guy named Pablo who hits .400 against CC, and gets on base over .400 OBP with a .953 OPS. And we are starting Uribe who has a career .200BA against CC and a sub .600 career OPS against.

Help me with this one

Thome is 0-11 lifetime against CC including 7ks.

The only one with success in the lineup on Monday against CC is Swisher who hits him at .385.

Guillen also mentioned Thome batting 5th against tough lefthanders so that didn't go down either. He shouldn't even be in the lineup against Sabathia. Just assuming it will be a low scoring game why not have the extra righty and very good defense of Anderson in center and Ramirez or Quentin DHing ? I'm stumped as well about Ozuna not in there. Plus Swisher is in a terrible slump right now with 4 hits in his last 45 AB's.

In today's Suntimes, Ozzie is saying that Uribe WILL in fact be starting at second on Monday...

What a f***ing nightmare it will be trotting Uribe out there AGAIN this season. I don't care what kind of spring he had, yesterday is a good indication that he is not far from being back to his old hack-ass plate appearances.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Has the sky crushed us all yet? I still don't even feel the pressure.

It's opening day. Relax.

Opening day or not, it's not just a very smart baseball move. Hopefully Juan can prove everyone wrong.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
Opening day or not, it's not just a very smart baseball move. Hopefully Juan can prove everyone wrong.

Says who? The numbers? Everyone knew since day one Ozzie was hired that we wouldn't see the every day norm. I couldn't care less what Pablo hits against C.C. If Juan Uribe is my starting 2B, then he's starting at 2B on opening day. Some people even want to bench Thome? How else can we micromanage the game? Maybe we should just go the Bill Veeck route and put signs out in the stands and let the fans call the game. (...waiting for the first 50 people to tell me that Veeck's team won that game...)

If there is any way for Juan Uribe to get worse -- after going through the justice system, being replaced at SS, shoped around in the off-season, and then placed on waivers -- it's to tell him he's the starting second baseman and then sit him on opening day because there is a bench player behind him who missed more than considerable time last year that hits the pitcher better. Give the man a break.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
Says who? The numbers? Everyone knew since day one Ozzie was hired that we wouldn't see the every day norm. I couldn't care less what Pablo hits against C.C. If Juan Uribe is my starting 2B, then he's starting at 2B on opening day. Some people even want to bench Thome? How else can we micromanage the game? Maybe we should just go the Bill Veeck route and put signs out in the stands and let the fans call the game. (...waiting for the first 50 people to tell me that Veeck's team won that game...)

If there is any way for Juan Uribe to get worse -- after going through the justice system, being replaced at SS, shoped around in the off-season, and then placed on waivers -- it's to tell him he's the starting second baseman and then sit him on opening day because there is a bench player behind him who missed more than considerable time last year that hits the pitcher better. Give the man a break.

I disagree. Why have Pablo? What he brings to the table is his ability to hit tough lefties such as CC. He's one of the very few who could hit him, yet we're going to bench him for the Tazmanian Devil who can't hit worth a lick?

I don't advocate benching Thome because he's probably your most dangerous hitter. But complaining because we won't bench an awful bat for a guy who actually could hit a tough matchup just doesn't sound right to me.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
I disagree. Why have Pablo? What he brings to the table is his ability to hit tough lefties such as CC. He's one of the very few who could hit him, yet we're going to bench him for the Tazmanian Devil who can't hit worth a lick?

I don't advocate benching Thome because he's probably your most dangerous hitter. But complaining because we won't bench an awful bat for a guy who actually could hit a tough matchup just doesn't sound right to me.

Confidence can work wonders on a player. There's no stat in baseball for that. I won't defend Uribe all year, but I'll defend him on opening day even if he goes 0-5 with 5 K's and 20 men left on base. I just don't agree to make an already bad situation at 2B worse.

With what people here expect the Sox to do this year, it doesn't matter who they roll out where anyway.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
Confidence can work wonders on a player. There's no stat in baseball for that. I won't defend Uribe all year, but I'll defend him on opening day even if he goes 0-5 with 5 K's and 20 men left on base. I just don't agree to make an already bad situation at 2B worse.

With what people here expect the Sox to do this year, it doesn't matter who they roll out where anyway.

How would it make it worse? Uribe has more power than Ozuna and that's it. Ozuna is a much much much better hitter against lefties. It makes no sense for Uribe to start.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)

and they'll all get ice cream after the game even if they lose.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
How would it make it worse? Uribe has more power than Ozuna and that's it. Ozuna is a much much much better hitter against lefties. It makes no sense for Uribe to start.

Tell it to the guy calling the shots.

There's nothing else I can say to defend my stance. I have no numbers. I just think it makes sense to start Uribe on opening day.

Edited by BobDylan

At this point...you know what? I really don't care who's in the lineup. Sick and tired of debating lineups, trades, backups, who's going to shoot Masset, etc.

I'm watching baseball again. Woo-hoo! Chipper Jones crushed a ball a while ago. And I get to break out the seldom-worn World Series shirt and hat tomorrow.

Go get em guys. Whoever's out there, you're my 10 for the day. Kick ass Mark, and whoever's out there, do your job and earn your spot and I don't care what your name is for now.

Pablo has a career .295/.326/.390 line against LHP. Juan has a career .263/.298/.447 line against them.

I realize Pablo has a "history" with CC , but lets not kid ourselves, it doesn't matter which we put out there. They both aren't good offensive players, and Juan has better defense out there. I don't really care that we're starting Juan over Pablo, it's not something worth complaining about and won't make a difference in the long run. If anything, I'll complain that Alexi Ramirez isn't starting there, as he's the player I'm most excited to track during this upcoming season.

Edited by Felix