2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
the NL is so bad its not even funny...those last two teams the cubs have played (astros and pirates) are horrendous

i agree. thats why i hate how the media, radio people talk about how great they are. like if they are 20-10 theyll say how great they are-look at the damn teams they face! it really helps they play the reds, astros, pirates, cards, all season long. throw them in the west, east, see how great they are. itll show in the playoffs :)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
except the Brewers, go CREW

I like the Brewers, but their bullpen is a little worrisome.

They've definitely got a chance to win that division, but I'd feel a little better about it if they had a better option at closer than Gagne or Turnbow.

I make it a point to avoid NorthsideBaseball.com, however I checked out their game thread for last night (Saturday, April 12 vs. the Phillies) and ROFLMMFAO at all the comments late in the thread regarding the trash on the field at Citizen's Bank Ballpark. :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
Looks like they're going to sweep the Pirates. The Cubs have just enough talent to handle these terrible teams in the NL.

And nowhere near enough talent to handle the real teams in that league, such as what is happening to them this weekend. It is going to be tough for them to beat out Milwaukee in that division, especially if Sheets or Gallardo (yes even if only one stays healthy) in the 2nd half. If both were to somehow stay healthy in the 2nd half though, the Cubs are dead. And the wildcard isn't coming from the central this year either. Their biggest problem right now is the fluke season their 2 mediocre lefty SP's had last year are coming to roost as a mass regression to the means is in process. And Ryan Dempster's ERA won't stay below 1 all year (or below 4 IMO).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
With all of the extra innings games the Cubs have played this week, its like they have played a whole extra game without it counting.

right now it is more than an extra game. 15 innings in the first game against pit, 13 innings in the second game, now they are in extras against the phils.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Utley misses a game tying homer by a foot, and the Phillies eventually lose. Cubs are playing just awful right now, and somehow still have a winning record.

They just aren't very good, I'm not all that worried. The best team in that division won again today and their closer is starting to calm down. Phillies deserved to lose though, couldn't score in the bottom of the 10th off a pitcher who is currently awful, and Utley hurried an easy throw against a slow runner.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
They just aren't very good, I'm not all that worried. The best team in that division won again today and their closer is starting to calm down. Phillies deserved to lose though, couldn't score in the bottom of the 10th off a pitcher who is currently awful, and Utley hurried an easy throw against a slow runner.

That's just looking at things through black-and-white shaded specs. Their offense will be one of the best in the NL and they have the makings of a great bullpen. Their rotation may be a bit shaky but again, what team in the NL doesn't have holes?

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
That's just looking at things through black-and-white shaded specs. Their offense will be one of the best in the NL and they have the makings of a great bullpen. Their rotation may be a bit shaky but again, what team in the NL doesn't have holes?

They have more than enough talent to be the top team in the NL Central. Like you said, the NL is so bad, there's only 2 or 3 teams that you figure will definitely be good. Piniella is managing his starting rotation very aggressively, and you wonder if that will hurt his bullpen in the long run. The Phillies deserved to lose today, as bringing in Romero to face Soto instead of Gordon against Pie is just awful managing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
They have more than enough talent to be the top team in the NL Central. Like you said, the NL is so bad, there's only 2 or 3 teams that you figure will definitely be good. Piniella is managing his starting rotation very aggressively, and you wonder if that will hurt his bullpen in the long run. The Phillies deserved to lose today, as bringing in Romero to face Soto instead of Gordon against Pie is just awful managing.

I don't know if they're better than the Brewers, but saying with certainty that they are or they aren't is stupid as hell. Both of the teams are pretty good, probably true-talent 85-88 win teams. The Brewers have a chance to be a standout team, but both Gallardo and Sheets would have to stay healthy for a good portion of the year. It'll be nice once they get Cameron back -- not that Kapler has missed a beat, but with Hall at third and Cameron in center, they're set to be much better defensively than they were last season.

And I too was amazed at how much had to go right for the Cubs to win today... the mishap by Utley, the great play by Lee, Utley missing a homer by a few feet, but such is baseball.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)

They'll have one of the best offenses in the NL? They start Mark DeRosa, Pie/Reed Johnson, and Ryan Theriot and are relying on totally unproven guys like Fukodome and Soto to put up big years. Their offense is average, their rotation is average, and their closer is made of glass (plus, Howry is falling apart). They'll be in the race, but the NL is quite a bit better this year (still not good or near AL standards, but better) and so is Milwaukee. I honestly think they aren't going to play in October, although they'll admittedly be close since they are in the NL and a team that isn't very good can still win in the mid to upper 80's.

Edited by whitesoxfan101