AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Rowand44

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
nice game. Maybe Paulie is breaking out of it? Crede put the best swings on balls ive seen in awhile, almost hit two out.

Crede was on everything yesterday, so that's encouraging to see. He could be a 30/30 player this season!

I'm still in awe of Paulie's dinger. DAMN he hit that!

One other thing....you've got 2 first place teams playing...and Tampa, who's never been there...it should be livin' it up. 12,636 attendence?!?!?!? That's friggin' embarrassing. You outta be ashamed Tampa.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
solid win. I liked how Ozzie used Thorton today. He can't use Jenks/Dotel/Linebrink for every game. Thorton is throwing it well now he can be used instead of one of those guys in tight cames

The bullpen from top to bottom(minus Wass at this point) is just as solid as can be.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm still in awe of Paulie's dinger. DAMN he hit that!

One other thing....you've got 2 first place teams playing...and Tampa, who's never been there...it should be livin' it up. 12,636 attendence?!?!?!? That's friggin' embarrassing. You outta be ashamed Tampa.

Sox fans should never throw attendance at anyone. We didn't draw people until we won, we have nothing to talk about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Sox fans should never throw attendance at anyone. We didn't draw people until we won, we have nothing to talk about.

The Sox are drawing 28,500 a game this season and have drawn atleast 1.67 mill every year this decade (and it's pretty much right around 2 mill per season...they drew 1.76 in 2002, but it's been 1.9+ mill every other year and three straight years of well over 2 mill and on their way to a fourth). Sox fans have always come. Meanwhile, Tampa hasn't drawn more than 1.56 mill since their inaugural season.

That said, Tropicana Field is a dump. When/if their new park is built, their attendance will most definitely rise.

I had a very good time watching this game tonight, I generally wait for LOST to hit DVD so I have something to watch when I can't access a TV, so I didn't have the issue of needing to catch the episode. :)

Great win tonight, actually gave me some confidence that the offense will come into it's own, though.. we've all said that before.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
The Sox are drawing 28,500 a game this season and have drawn atleast 1.67 mill every year this decade (and it's pretty much right around 2 mill per season...they drew 1.76 in 2002, but it's been 1.9+ mill every other year and three straight years of well over 2 mill and on their way to a fourth). Sox fans have always come. Meanwhile, Tampa hasn't drawn more than 1.56 mill since their inaugural season.

That said, Tropicana Field is a dump. When/if their new park is built, their attendance will most definitely rise.

Just curious, have you actually been to Tropicana Field? I went there for last month's series, and I didn't feel it was nearly as crappy as I had been led to believe. It was a very friendly, comfortable environment. Good deals on tickets as well as drinks/food, and the ushers pretty much let you sit wherever you want. I couldn't figure out why attendance isn't higher. I do agree that the new ballpark by the waterfront, combined with their young core of talent, will likely draw many more people.

Was at the Wolves game, but a quick look at the highlights, MLB.TV, and box score tell me this is as good a win as we've had all year. Tomorrow's game will be our 54th with a resolution this year (I don't count the O's game since it's not over yet), so let's finish the first 1/3 of the season strong.

QUOTE (rowandrules83 @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Just curious, have you actually been to Tropicana Field? I went there for last month's series, and I didn't feel it was nearly as crappy as I had been led to believe. It was a very friendly, comfortable environment. Good deals on tickets as well as drinks/food, and the ushers pretty much let you sit wherever you want. I couldn't figure out why attendance isn't higher. I do agree that the new ballpark by the waterfront, combined with their young core of talent, will likely draw many more people.

Non-retractable domes just suck in general. It seems like it makes football and baseball games less exciting.

Interesting tidbit about Tropicana field I never knew:

"Built in 1990, Tropicana Field became the home of the expansion Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 1998 after a long fight to bring Major League Baseball to the Tampa-St. Petersburg area. The domed stadium, originally known as "The Suncoast Dome" and "The ThunderDome", was constructed to lure an existing baseball club to Florida's Gulf Coast and several teams nearly took the bait. The Chicago White Sox were about to move before an 11th-hour deal produced a new Comiskey Park."

QUOTE (rowandrules83 @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)

A grocery store is friendly too...probably has about the same amount of people as well.

On top of that, those good deals on tickets, drinks, food, and seating...yeah, that's a byproduct of low attendance. With high attendance, ushers are dicks, tickets are expensive, food costs an arm, drinks cost a leg, and the seating is obstructed/nosebleed. So you can get b****ed at by an usher while hobbling around on one leg, somehow carrying a drink and some food with one arm while you're nose is bleeding and you essentially just got pickpocketed.

No, I've never been there and I'm still not ashamed to say it's a dump. It's dark, it's dreary, and the team has been downright dreadful in it's entire existence. One the new park opens, it'll be a completely different story.

I've always had the impression that people in South Florida just don't care about baseball that much, even in spite of the big Latin population, and that adding 2 expansion teams down there in the 90s was a mistake.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 30, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
I've always had the impression that people in South Florida just don't care about baseball that much, even in spite of the big Latin population, and that adding 2 expansion teams down there in the 90s was a mistake.

I think most of the people out in the St Pete area are transplants. Maybe they are fans of other teams? :huh

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 30, 2008 -> 05:44 AM)

The problem was they needed teams there earlier than the 90s. Montreal had a team before the state of Florida. Also, you would think that baseball would be more popular with all the Spring Training teams down there each year.

I guess there are too many other things to do during the baseball season. Also, too many old people, rising gas prices, and the war in Iraq.

Edited by RME JICO