Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most interesting note from the conference call was the fact that two White Sox scouts argued vehemently against the "MLB ready" player Kenny wanted, so he deferred to their opinion and went with Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez instead.

Wonder who that player was? Morton? Reyes?

Seems they have a lot of confidence in Marquez, in the same way they were big believers in Floyd off his AFL performance (which statistically, wasn't dominant by any stretch of the imagination).

"Not the average bear." (Flowers and Viciedo....too funny.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
It's possible, but thats an odd slip by Williams.

BTW, the conference call is up on WhiteSox.com. I listented to it about an hour ago, and I swore Williams said they wanted 20 pounds dropped by Viciedo.

I think he said ten pounds. There's a good chance Viciedo will play some OF in spring training.

He definitely said 10 pounds...KW seems to be pretty high on Lillibridge and feels that his swing mechanics just got messed up by "self correction" and also adjusting to an injury.

Something else he said makes sense, on their "big board," he added Marquez, Nunez, Betemit and Viciedo for SWISHER.

When you look at it that way, very difficult to argue against, and probably at LEAST the equivalent of Sweeney, Gio and DLS.

Edited by caulfield12

Rick Hahn was on Tribune live and he reiterated the Gilmore/Crede comparison, then one of the guys asked him to compare Flowers to someone, and he said he didn't like to do that sort of thing. What? You just did.

As far as Viciedo, you have to be concerned when they want a 19 year old to lose weight.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Rick Hahn was on Tribune live and he reiterated the Gilmore/Crede comparison, then one of the guys asked him to compare Flowers to someone, and he said he didn't like to do that sort of thing. What? You just did.

As far as Viciedo, you have to be concerned when they want a 19 year old to lose weight.

Gilmore follows Ryan Sweeney to make him our second recent Iowan, both second round draft picks.

So I guess we'll see Santos starting and Gilmore playing in the SAL together. Should be fun to follow their progress and have a reason to be curious about the minor league boxes again with real interest. KW said Rodriguez's fastball was in the 95-96 MPH range recently, Baseball America had him topping out around 93. Big difference, if it's actually legit. And with his frame, he is projectable to get bigger and stronger and maybe add some more MPH, although he already is age 21.

Also curious that KW mentioned beefing up Dominican training camps/scouting but nothing about Venezuela at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Gilmore follows Ryan Sweeney to make him our second recent Iowan, both second round draft picks.

So I guess we'll see Santos starting and Gilmore playing in the SAL together. Should be fun to follow their progress and have a reason to be curious about the minor league boxes again with real interest. KW said Rodriguez's fastball was in the 95-96 MPH range recently, Baseball America had him topping out around 93. Big difference, if it's actually legit. And with his frame, he is projectable to get bigger and stronger and maybe add some more MPH, although he already is age 21.

Also curious that KW mentioned beefing up Dominican training camps/scouting but nothing about Venezuela at all.

Oh yeah, Hahn also compared Rodriquez to Thornton. Says he throws an easy 95. 6'5" 180 pounds.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)

You mean like a Freshman 15? This is the first time Viciedo has been on his own, and had access to some decent meals I am guessing. We all know what the self-control of kids away from organized oversight is for the first time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
You mean like a Freshman 15? This is the first time Viciedo has been on his own, and had access to some decent meals I am guessing. We all know what the self-control of kids away from organized oversight is for the first time.

That and the fact that most people get heavier as the years go on. He has a reputation as being a bit lazy, but that could change. Then again, Prince Fielder seems to do OK with some extra girth. The thing that concerned me was his agent saying he was in great shape. Maybe that means he was heavier before his workouts. Who knows. I'll give the kid the benefit of my doubt and hope he seizes the great opportunity he has for himself. He swings hard. I like guys that swing hard.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
That and the fact that most people get heavier as the years go on. He has a reputation as being a bit lazy, but that could change. Then again, Prince Fielder seems to do OK with some extra girth. The thing that concerned me was his agent saying he was in great shape. Maybe that means he was heavier before his workouts. Who knows. I'll give the kid the benefit of my doubt and hope he seizes the great opportunity he has for himself. He swings hard. I like guys that swing hard.

Which would explain the Uribe fascination...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)

Gilmore was a supplemental 1st round pick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)

Really though what do you expect his agent to say? "My client is a fat f*** but it's all good"

The latest renovation of the roster is more appealing, even if many executives believe Williams is overrating Flowers, whom they regard as a serious liability behind the plate. Williams did well recouping the kind of talent he sent to Arizona to acquire Vazquez three years ago (center fielder Chris Young was the headliner).

Flowers, Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez are all high-ceiling guys. Brent Lillibridge could be next year's Quentin: a talented player acquired when his value was low after a bad year. It makes you wonder how much Williams will be offered for Dye.

from new Phil Rogers article at chicagotribune.com/sports

"Just because I'm talking about playing a more youthful team doesn't mean we're sacrificing our goal of trying to win the division this year," Williams said after trading starting pitcher Vazquez and reliever Boone Logan to Atlanta. "Along the way, if they show you they can do certain things or cannot show you, you've built up enough depth to make an adjustment. Right now we'd be among our competition in the division." mark gonzales, trib.

Edited by caulfield12

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200811053656761

short clip about atlanta's arizona fall league players, flowers headlines the video

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200811053656761

Javy's press conference with Atlanta

Bobby Cox: "I consider Javy an elite pitcher, really a national league pitcher."

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)

That is really weird. Stewart is a free agent and so is Miller, so I guess its possible the Sox went and signed them both and didn't tell anyone yet.

But that would be bizarre to sign them both. I could see signing one, as in Stewart, but... Corky Miller? And why would he say this in a press conference, when neither players' names have been announced as part of the org? Furthermore, doesn't this hurt Armstrong's trade value, since you are all but announcing that Armstrong won't be on the major league club?

This also would seem to indicate they have little or no confidence in the ability of Donny Lucy to come back healthy from his injury.

Just bizarre.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
That is really weird. Stewart is a free agent and so is Miller, so I guess its possible the Sox went and signed them both and didn't tell anyone yet.

But that would be bizarre to sign them both. I could see signing one, as in Stewart, but... Corky Miller? And why would he say this in a press conference, when neither players' names have been announced as part of the org? Furthermore, doesn't this hurt Armstrong's trade value, since you are all but announcing that Armstrong won't be on the major league club?

This also would seem to indicate they have little or no confidence in the ability of Donny Lucy to come back healthy from his injury.

Just bizarre.

The signing of Corky Miller by the White Sox was actually announced a few weeks ago, there's a thread for it in PHT.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
The signing of Corky Miller by the White Sox was actually announced a few weeks ago, there's a thread for it in PHT.

I missed that one.

Just found this note about it on the web. Looks like it happened mid-November.

Corky Miller is getting another chance to play professional baseball. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that miller has signed a minor-league contract with the White Sox.

This comes as good news for Miller, who was released by the Braves after the season. He had one of the worst offensive seasons of his career, batting just .083 with a home run and five RBI. He had just four hits in 60 at-bats with Atlanta.

Miller was signed by the Sox due to his defense. He's one of the best defensive catchers in the big leagues. Although he will begin the year in the minors, Miller will likely get called-up at some point to serve as an emergency back-up.

The former Wolf Pack player has a .176 batting average during his seven year MLB career.

There's such a thing as a "pinch runner" (think Rodney McCray back in the 1980's), well why not a defensive replacement in the 8th or 9th inning for AJ?

Makes quite a bit of sense, especially with the trouble some of our relievers have holding guys on...he would nullify some of that, although Jenks apparently has a burning desire to let every runner who reaches have free reign to get over to 3rd.

Of course, the big problem here is numbers. If Miller can't play 20-30 games per season (full games), you're going to wear down AJ.

It, for the moment, appears that Betemit and Lillibridge will be on the roster, along with some combination of Wise/Anderson/Owens and the back-up catcher (Miller/Armstrong/Stewart?) I don't think we'll carry three catchers, but with Quentin healthy, the need for Wise is lessened considerably (especially if Owens is healthy). Still, it's nice to have a lefty bat with some power in Wise. And perhaps Lillibridge wins 2B and Getz is the other bench player, along with Betemit. Just not sure how they feel about Getz (or Lillibridge) not getting consistent playing time...especially coming off 08, it would appear Lillibridge needs to re-establish his confidence in Charlotte. But KW seems to think he can be ready to go right out of the chute.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
There's such a thing as a "pinch runner" (think Rodney McCray back in the 1980's), well why not a defensive replacement in the 8th or 9th inning for AJ?

Makes quite a bit of sense, especially with the trouble some of our relievers have holding guys on...he would nullify some of that, although Jenks apparently has a burning desire to let every runner who reaches have free reign to get over to 3rd.

Of course, the big problem here is numbers. If Miller can't play 20-30 games per season (full games), you're going to wear down AJ.

It, for the moment, appears that Betemit and Lillibridge will be on the roster, along with some combination of Wise/Anderson/Owens and the back-up catcher (Miller/Armstrong/Stewart?) I don't think we'll carry three catchers, but with Quentin healthy, the need for Wise is lessened considerably (especially if Owens is healthy). Still, it's nice to have a lefty bat with some power in Wise. And perhaps Lillibridge wins 2B and Getz is the other bench player, along with Betemit. Just not sure how they feel about Getz (or Lillibridge) not getting consistent playing time...especially coming off 08, it would appear Lillibridge needs to re-establish his confidence in Charlotte. But KW seems to think he can be ready to go right out of the chute.

The big problem is that you would have to carry 3 catchers to do that, just in case of injury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
The big problem is that you would have to carry 3 catchers to do that, just in case of injury.

Yes and if you don't what ultimately happens is you will have to hit for Miller during the games he does start, and AJ's off day becomes a mute point. Miller might actually be worse than Hall as a whole. I wish the Sox would sign Blanco and end the ridiculousness.