A MESSAGE TO THE SOXTALK COMMUNITY

Administrator

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that people are trying to stand up to the posters who hide behind their screen names and are consistently negative about everything that has to do with whitesox baseball. If you hate the team that much, why are you here? and believe me i understand being frustrated with this particular version of the sox cuz they are underperforming but if all you want to do is b*** and moan, find somewhere else to do it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
I'm sure Jason would agree with me.....if you go into the FutureSox forum, that's some of the best discussion on this website.

Once it works on Firefox (hey I tried to help you) I'll be there.

Edited by Steve9347

I am glad to see this issue pointed out.

This is my source for Sox info, as it likely is for others, as I refuse to listen to jaded old opinions heard on sports talk radio. And its sometimes difficult to get to updated info in a post because of the comedic negative comments made. I can get that stuff from the great Dan Bernstein if I wanted it. This is escape from him and those like him, and I thank the moderators for making the effort.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:19 AM)
Once it works on Firefox (hey I tried to help you) I'll be there.

Well the forum works...afterall it is a part of Soxtalk, haha. We'll be set once we get on our new server at month end. A faster server too :)

I want to point out that we are serious about seeing changes, if people don't change, we'll have to do things that we at Soxtalk don't like to do and it starts with suspensions and would end with bannings. People need to understand that this site wasn't built to be a cesspool, rather as a tremendous resource and community of awesome Sox fans!!!!

Amen.

We are all frustrated because this team has underachieved in a winnable division.

The road trip elevated expectations again, but the homestand has brought them back down.

My guess is we are a few weeks away from a 1997 scenario, like the deal that sent Hernandez, Alvarez and Darwin to SF for Foulke, Howry, Caruso, Barcelo and two others.

That team, I believe, was less than five games behind Cleveland, but spinning its wheels and Jerry pulled the plug.

I wouldn't blame him for doing it again.

What we should be discussing is which players need to go because they can bring value and which guys should stay to become the core of moving forward.

The constant ripping of Greg Walker, Bartolo and others is tiresome.

Folks on this sight are committed fans who know what the problems are. I come here because there is a large group of insightful posters who offer thoughtful solutions.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
I want to point out that we are serious about seeing changes, if people don't change, we'll have to do things that we at Soxtalk don't like to do and it starts with warnings and possible suspensions and would end with bannings. People need to understand that this site wasn't built to be a cesspool, rather as a tremendous resource and community of awesome Sox fans!!!!

Edited for hopeful correct statement.

I've learned over the years you just have to let the losing go. Every year you will eventually be disappointed if the goal is to win a World Series. So sit back ,relax , and strap it down. And when we lose get up ,unstrap it, take a deep breath and go spend time with the wife , kids, g/f ,or bff and realize what's really important in life.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
I've learned over the years you just have to let the losing go. Every year you will eventually be disappointed if the goal is to win a World Series. So sit back ,relax , and strap it down. And when we lose get up ,unstrap it, take a deep breath and go spend time with the wife , kids, g/f ,or bff and realize what's really important in life.

Just don't strap it on.

In all seriousness, we're trying to cut down on negativity and personal attacks. Whether it be towards another member, or towards a member of the Sox, they are still personal attacks.

Think about this...

Would you say what you're about to say to the person directly if they were holding onto you and you were dangling over a cliff?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)

Well, on avg your fav baseball team will lose 80 games a year. They wont get a hit more than 70 percent of the time. Its a game of failure, people need to realize that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Well, on avg your fav baseball team will lose 80 games a year. They wont get a hit more than 70 percent of the time. Its a game of failure, people need to realize that.

Yep. Gotta learn to appreciate the little things, find the silver lining or w/e cliche is en voque.Take the kid out for ice cream weather they golden sombrero it or hit a walkoff or a sink a buzzer beater.Never get too high (cough cough) or too low.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
In all seriousness, we're trying to cut down on negativity and personal attacks. Whether it be towards another member, or towards a member of the Sox, they are still personal attacks.

Think about this...

Would you say what you're about to say to the person directly if they were holding onto you and you were dangling over a cliff?

This is a very good thread to address. I love soxtalk and I love the information and passion I find on this board. However, there are times where I will not post or even come to this site when I see overwhelming negativity and especially personal attacks, at both players and fellow posters.

I think we all (as sports fans) sometimes need to be step back and be given a reality check. I know that I get over-passionate about my teams as well. I am not saying that being passionate about a team is a bad thing. It's part of what makes Soxtalk great. But no sporting result or team should take precedence over human decency.

Edited by soxfan3530

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)

You need another angle to this issue.

You shouldn't be isolating negativity as if it's the culprit alone. Personal attacks, yes, I can understand. But if the team is performing terribly, what else is there to say? It's up to the Soxtalk team to know the difference between what should be allowed and what shouldn't. When you say we're trying to cut down on negativity, I become worried at the extent such a reform will be pursued. If I created a "White Sox loser" thread would it be immediately deleted, despite the fact "White Sox Winner" threads are allowed? I remember this was usually a contentious point in the past with people.

WWWSID -- What Would White Sox Interactive Do. If you, or any of the other administrators/moderators find yourselves trying to enforce anything that resembles their policies towards negativity, you're doing it all wrong.

Just remember guys, this is a fan website. Yes, it's not a cesspool for negativity; but lets not try to act as if we're trying to appease anyone by enforcing a whole host of negativity rules. This is what I believe took down WSI. Dave Wills began posting, the Red Eye referenced them, and then all of the sudden they acted as if their opinions mattered. Threads determined to be overly negative we're moved into their side forums. Hell, even those that weren't were still moved because they went against their personal beliefs. "If you don't believe the White Sox will make the playoffs in 2005 then dont bother posting" was a common idea I came across. It reminds me of the instance several years ago when Hawk (poorly) shouted out Soxtalk.com, and right after that there began this 'coincidental' desire to shape things up. I believe that's about the time the language filter came up. It makes me wonder why all the sudden things have changed. There's usually a reason just beyond "it's getting ridiculous in here."

Really, I have no problem with trying to foster a good fan experience. Its just, when I come across these posts where people say "I cant post here sometimes because of (this) or (that)" it just sounds...so....ridiculous. Is anyone really that sensitive enough that they have their posting experience here on Soxtalk affected by whether or not there is a certain level of intelligent discussion or negativity? If anything, instead of purposely avoiding the website anyone who holds this opinion should stick around and try to change, first hand, what they feel needs improvement.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
You need another angle to this issue.

You shouldn't be isolating negativity as if it's the culprit alone. Personal attacks, yes, I can understand. But if the team is performing terribly, what else is there to say? It's up to the Soxtalk team to know the difference between what should be allowed and what shouldn't. When you say we're trying to cut down on negativity, I become worried at the extent such a reform will be pursued. If I created a "White Sox loser" thread would it be immediately deleted, despite the fact "White Sox Winner" threads are allowed? I remember this was usually a contentious point in the past with people.

WWWSID -- What Would White Sox Interactive Do. If you, or any of the other administrators/moderators find yourselves trying to enforce anything that resembles their policies towards negativity, you're doing it all wrong.

Just remember guys, this is a fan website. Yes, it's not a cesspool for negativity; but lets not try to act as if we're trying to appease anyone by enforcing a whole host of negativity rules. This is what I believe took down WSI. Dave Wills began posting, the Red Eye referenced them, and then all of the sudden they acted as if their opinions mattered. Threads determined to be overly negative we're moved into their side forums. Hell, even those that weren't were still moved because they went against their personal beliefs. "If you don't believe the White Sox will make the playoffs in 2005 then dont bother posting" was a common idea I came across. It reminds me of the instance several years ago when Hawk (poorly) shouted out Soxtalk.com, and right after that there began this 'coincidental' desire to shape things up. I believe that's about the time the language filter came up. It makes me wonder why all the sudden things have changed. There's usually a reason just beyond "it's getting ridiculous in here."

Really, I have no problem with trying to foster a good fan experience. Its just, when I come across these posts where people say "I cant post here sometimes because of (this) or (that)" it just sounds...so....ridiculous. Is anyone really that sensitive enough that they have their posting experience here on Soxtalk affected by whether or not there is a certain level of intelligent discussion or negativity? If anything, instead of purposely avoiding the website anyone who holds this opinion should stick around and try to change, first hand, what they feel needs improvement.

I wanted to say something similar to this. But I was too lazy and didn't feel like putting forth the effort.

I'm down 100% with eliminating personal attacks. That shouldn't be tolerated in any way shape or form. But I don't want this to turn into Sissytalk.com. I get annoyed with excessive whining/negativity as much as the next person. But people should be free to express their feelings/opinions without consequence . This board would get super boring and lame real quick if every poster was forced to turn into jphat (no offense at all to jphat. I think he's an outstanding poster). I like a good mix. You got your optimists (jphat, rowand44, SS2K5), you got your pessimists (tito, bigswert, fathom - except when it comes to the Cubs), and people like Dick Allen, who are kinda in between, at least IMO. I used to be super optimist when I first started out here. I wasn't jphat. But pretty close. I think I'm more in the middle now. And I think I'm a much better overall poster than I was when I was super optimist. I just want to see intelligent ideas/discussion/ect. That should be the goal for any message board.

Edited by Jordan4life