Jose Contreras

JohnCangelosi

With all of the abuse we've given him over the past 2 yrs, I think it's appropriate to step up here and say what a professional this guy has been. In an era of "I got paid" mentality, Jose has worked extremely hard to become an extremely talented starter again. Good for him, and hats off to Jose for not just taking his $10M as most athletes would have done in his situation. He's truly a role model from that standpoint.

On another note, should KW consider extending him for a few M per while we have an opportunity?

If he continues to pitch like this, my guess is some team will give him a 2 yr deal for $5M + per on a flyer if not more? Maybe Jose will do a hometown discount for us knowing he didn't earn his pay the last few years?

Edited by JohnCangelosi

While I really appreciate what The Count is doing for us, I think an extensions is out of the question, if anything a trade is more likely. KW and Ozzie are working to establish a young pitching core and I don’t think Contreras fits into those plans long-term even as a 5.

Big fan of his since we got him from the Yanks. I always sort of knew in the back of my head that he would get back to some respectable level of pitching. If he keeps it going then it would essentially wind up turning into a solid midseason acquisition for our rotation. He's making it feel like Colon never pitched for us at all this year...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
While I really appreciate what The Count is doing for us, I think an extensions is out of the question, if anything a trade is more likely. KW and Ozzie are working to establish a young pitching core and I don’t think Contreras fits into those plans long-term even as a 5.

I am just wondering who our #5 is next year...if he pitches like this through the rest of the season he will definitely garner quite a bit of interest for a 1 or 2 yr deal from a lot of teams....

Edited by JohnCangelosi

Ever since Ramon Castro has become his personal catcher also, he's pitched very well.

The Castro trade could turn out to be one of KW's most underrated trades when it's all said and done.

At the end of the season, I think you look at giving him a 1 year deal if the price is right and you think he can hold up for another season, but with the payroll flexibility that KW is going to have, I think he'll look for an upgrade first.

Count has his velocity back up there, I think the guy is back. (holding breath). But the OPs point is a good one, Contreras took his medicine and battle through his issues and has come back to be a tremendous pitcher lately. I hope it keeps up.

Hard to believe his whip currently stands at 1.27 considering how brutal he was in his first six starts of the season. Another encouraging thing is he has thrown over 100 pitches (no one else on the staff can say that) in each of his last five starts... along with 37.1 innings pitched which is the most out of any other starter of ours in that time span. Buehrle has thrown 33, danks 34, and floyd with 35.1.

He will only be offered at contract (one year deal) at seasons end ifhe can put up respectable numbers from here on out. To think a contract would be offered to him at any point during the remainder of this season seems downright silly to me.

Having lived through the rotating 5th starter years, I see a spot for him. You need to be 6 deep, if possible, and a couple of those will be veterans. A few years back we kept bringing guys up to pitch 3 innings and give up 10 runs. Man, those were just brutal outings.

Jose has a place in the rotation if he continues pitching anywhere near the way he's been in his last 5 starts. If the Sox believe Richard has the potential to be as solid as Danks and Floyd, having Jose as the 5th starter makes a ton of sense.

Unless the sox make a trade for an elite starter--who would likely be making a boatload of money--I can see the sox keeping Jose around for something like $6 mill. on a 1 yr deal until the young guys like Hudson/ Ely/ Poreda can help.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 05:13 AM)

They would sign him if they really want to win and also develop the younger pitchers. Once again we have a veteran performing and all we talk about is trading him. You make changes in your staff slowly and keep the right mix of veterans and youth to keep team performance high. Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda (if we ever see him start this year) may be ready to step in the rotation spots, but you never know. Buerhle-Danks-Floyd for sure and Contreras for another year or two is not a bad rotation. Colon was so so since signing, but you wonder if he has a spot when healthy again.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Having lived through the rotating 5th starter years, I see a spot for him. You need to be 6 deep, if possible, and a couple of those will be veterans. A few years back we kept bringing guys up to pitch 3 innings and give up 10 runs. Man, those were just brutal outings.

six deep! Exactly right. We have seen what happens with issues of inconsistent 5th starters and or injuries. Pitching wins pennants and you never have enough.

If you can get him cheap enough for 1-yr it makes sense, he can replace Colon's current spot. I see Contreras as a guy who would stay here for less as I think he needs to be in a comfort zone to perform at his best. At the same time might as well wait a few months to see if this continues before offering anything.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
Ever since Ramon Castro has become his personal catcher also, he's pitched very well.

The Castro trade could turn out to be one of KW's most underrated trades when it's all said and done.

At the end of the season, I think you look at giving him a 1 year deal if the price is right and you think he can hold up for another season, but with the payroll flexibility that KW is going to have, I think he'll look for an upgrade first.

I'm not sure there are any upgrades out there. I think we should definitely sign him for another year, depending on how he finishes out this year. If there is a sure upgrade out there, we should go for it. And if not, we should sign Castro even if he asks for a little too much. We should have the money either way.

And with Contreras, I'll trust the organization to make the right move. There doesn't seem to be too much pitching talent out there in free agency (and the top guys always sign somewhere else for bigger money). So, if they feel that Contreras has another decent year in him and the prospects aren't exactly ready, then they should give him a one-year deal. This, of course, also depends on how he finishes out the year.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 05:25 AM)

No offense, but who hasn't? It was only a few years ago.

You know...here's a random thought...let's say we're able to make it to the playoffs. Hypothetically.

If they keep pitching like this...what team out there wants to go through the buzz saw of Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, and Contreras?

I love what Contreras is doing, but it makes no sense to give him more than a 1 year contract and a cheap price. His age and injury concerns are very worrisome, and you gotta be worried about Contreras of 07 making a return. Hell, you still gotta be worried about his arm and body holding up for another 10 starts.

Also, if he keeps pitching like he has, he'll likely want a 2-3 year contract in the offseason and a decent amount of money, and that's just way too much of a risk.

I'm proud of him too. Most people thought his career was over and not only does he come right back (okay, a bit early), but loses all that weight and now look at him. In an era of spoiled brat overpaid stars, he's a breath of fresh air.

I don't know about an extension. We want to go younger, not older. Jose's great, but at his age, any kind of an extension worth more than $5 million per for two or more years is out of the question. He's a great guy to have here for Alexei and Dayan in the future, but he's not 27, he's 37.

Plus, if he really finishes off the season well, he may get picked up by some other team for a good amount of money on a short term deal. I don't think the Sox are going to pursue him if that happens.