White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:04 AM)
Hmm, I don't like it. I get why he's using that (15 backwards), but that's too high for a position player. He needs to be a number in the teens or twenties. Pitchers are the only ones who should be using a number that a LB would where.

Ichiro says "hi".

Well, alright, he says "konnichiha".

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams, with Reinsdorf's approval, was given the money to acquire a CF last offseason. He didn't get the guy he wanted in Hunter, and settled for Swisher. Swisher was gone, and KW went searching again, and didn't find s*** in CF (as should be expected...there wasn't a whole hell of a lot). He gets a guy he feels is similar enough to Hunter - a guy he's had interest for in the past - for free, at $12.5 mill a year for the next 5, while giving up absolutely nothing.

Tell me, what would you rather have, Torii Hunter at 5 years, $75 mill while giving up a 2nd round pick to Minnesota (and yes, I'm aware he signed for $90 million; that's not what the Sox offered), or Alex Rios at 5 years, $60 million giving up absolutely, positively nothing?

My mind is already made up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
Williams, with Reinsdorf's approval, was given the money to acquire a CF last offseason. He didn't get the guy he wanted in Hunter, and settled for Swisher. Swisher was gone, and KW went searching again, and didn't find s*** in CF (as should be expected...there wasn't a whole hell of a lot). He gets a guy he feels is similar enough to Hunter - a guy he's had interest for in the past - for free, at $12.5 mill a year for the next 5, while giving up absolutely nothing.

Tell me, what would you rather have, Torii Hunter at 5 years, $75 mill while giving up a 2nd round pick to Minnesota (and yes, I'm aware he signed for $90 million; that's not what the Sox offered), or Alex Rios at 5 years, $60 million giving up absolutely, positively nothing?

What you don't mention is that Rios is 28 and Hunter is 34. +1 White Sox.

I looked at the stats of Grady Sizemore compared to Rios and while Sizemore is the better power hitter I think Rios is the better defender and makes better contact....this trade really is a good move considering what the options were going forward. Rios is as good a lead-off candidate as anyone his career OBP is .335.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
What you don't mention is that Rios is 28 and Hunter is 34. +1 White Sox.

Great points.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I looked at the stats of Grady Sizemore compared to Rios and while Sizemore is the better power hitter I think Rios is the better defender and makes better contact....this trade really is a good move considering what the options were going forward. Rios is as good a lead-off candidate as anyone his career OBP is .335.

Does not compute.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Apparently because of the long flight?

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/20...36143/index.xml

I hope he plays tonight--flight be damned.

If he plays half asleep he will fit right in with Dye, Konekro, Thome, and Ramirez and the defense will still be better as it is totally asleep right now.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
Oh, you were talking about Sizemore so I thought you were comparing him to the league at large. I think I prefer Pods or Beckham leading off, but you could make a case for Rios if you're just talking about Sox players.

Pods hitting .305....I agree

Beckham is an RBI machine which would be wasted at the top of the order.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:04 AM)
Hmm, I don't like it. I get why he's using that (15 backwards), but that's too high for a position player. He needs to be a number in the teens or twenties. Pitchers are the only ones who should be using a number that a LB would where.

I don't see what's the big deal with a position player being a high number. Guys like Torii Hunter and Travis Hafner both use big numbers (both 48), and they use it because they like the number. If I was a baseball player and I played a position on the field, I would coincidentally use 48 as well (my initials DH = 4th and 8th letters of alphabet) or 84 if 48 isn't available.

Even guys like Rowand used 33 (I think) and Swisher used 30, makes no sense to force position players to play low numbers just because if they like a higher number better.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:19 AM)
Beckham is an RBI machine which would be wasted at the top of the order.

+1

For this year, Rios leading off would be fine. But they need to look for other options next year. Rios hitting 2nd and Beckham moving to 3rd might be a way to go, assuming that Rios' OBP returns to his career average.

The upside and downside to adding Rios

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...?obref=obinsite

Rios has better range and a better arm than almost all of the 14 players Ozzie Guillen has used in center since Rowand.

14 players in CF since 2005?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have them all in no particular order: Owens, Mackowiak, Anderson, Ramirez, Wise, Griffey, Erstad, Swisher, Lillibridge, Podsednik, Andy Gonzalez, Terrero, Sweeney, Kotsay

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
+1

For this year, Rios leading off would be fine. But they need to look for other options next year. Rios hitting 2nd and Beckham moving to 3rd might be a way to go, assuming that Rios' OBP returns to his career average.

To me Q is starting to string quality ABs together, it might be time to put him there.

By the calculations of John Dewan, author of The Fielding Bible Volume II, Abreu is one of the worst rightfielders in all of baseball. (Forget that Gold Glove he won in 2005. Those awards, voted on by managers and coaches, are often influenced by a player's defensive reputation and even his offensive performance.) Over the past three seasons, Abreu has made plays on 28 fewer balls than a league-average rightfielder would be expected to make, costing his teams (the Phillies and Yanks) 19 runs. Toronto's Alex Ríos, the highest ranked at his position, got to 26 more balls than the average rightfielder and saved his squad 49 runs (or nearly five wins) during that same span.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview09/ne...tory?id=4021631