AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
You are assuming that LAA is in this deal primarily for Konerko. On the contrary, I'd be they are in it to get the right spect or two, and Konerko is a nice 1B/DH fill, as a secondary desired piece.

You are also assuming that LAA has what SD wants - the only reason you even have 3-way trades is that a 1-to-1 deal doesn't fulfill their needs. SD may be able to justify losing A-Gon because of the COMBINATION of what they'd get from the two other trading parties.

yeah i think konerko would be a minimal piece in any deal. i dont see him being too attractive that anyone would give up much for him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KevinM @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Yeah, not buying it. I'm guessing the Angels aren't jumping at the bit to get a mediocre, overpaid first baseman while also ensuring that one of their fellow AL contenders gets a far better player at the same position. Why wouldn't they just go after Gonzalez? Any package we put together could easily be trumped (save me the 7-8 player package KHP, it's not realistic).

I think some people are underestimate just how poor the economy is. I realize Adrian Gonzalez doesn't make a ton of money, but he'll be a FA soon enough and will be demanding mega-bucks. Ultimately very few teams are going to find themselves in a position to make a run at Gonzalez because they probably wouldn't be willing to unload the type of quality high level young, cheap minor league talent it would take to get him.

The Sox might be one of those teams. Most of the other teams that could be possibilities would be unable to beat a Sox offer, imo.

The BoSox are one of the few teams that could potentially blow the Sox out of the water, but who knows if they would have the interest to do so (ie an Ellsbury/Bucholtz package).

We also underestimate the fact that the Angels like Paulie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
He's always said he'd waive his no trade clause if the Sox felt they could make the team better by moving him. The Angels are on the west coast and he was very very close to going there after the world series year. They are also a perennial contender. Without a doubt, Paulie would accept a move there, imo.

Also, I think I remember reading that he has a history with Scioscia from the Dodgers days when PK was a catcher.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
You are assuming that LAA is in this deal primarily for Konerko. On the contrary, I'd be they are in it to get the right spect or two, and Konerko is a nice 1B/DH fill, as a secondary desired piece.

Define nice. 34 year old first baseman with 3-year OPS splits of .841/.783/.842 aren't worth $12 million -- probably not even two-thirds that. And I don't see the Sox sending money anyone's way.

That would have to be one hell of a prospect.

You are also assuming that LAA has what SD wants - the only reason you even have 3-way trades is that a 1-to-1 deal doesn't fulfill their needs. SD may be able to justify losing A-Gon because of the COMBINATION of what they'd get from the two other trading parties.

I'm assuming that the Angels aren't going to help another AL team get markedly better while bogging down their payroll.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)

The big thing is, I'd have to think the Sox have what the Pads want, however, the Sox need the Angels to take on Konerko's salary or at least a chunk of it to enable them to make this deal. Or at least that has to be what Kenny has in mind.

I guess I kind of differ from some people here, but I see our awesome 5-man rotation as being of less use if it's going to stand with the current lineup alongside it.

I would move one of Danks/Floyd to get this deal done. Obviously only if I had to, but I would not let it be a stopping point.

Reason being--the freaky part about this deal is how it would actually save us money in year 1. We could get back into the FA hunt.

Well actually there are several freaky things about this deal.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
What if Beckham was going to the Padres? Would you still pull the trigger?

You have to pause there due to how cheap Beckham is for years and years, and his offensive value at that position. You dont want to become the Padres. cant bring in a great hitter and give back your top hitter

but i'll do almost anything else

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I guess I kind of differ from some people here, but I see our awesome 5-man rotation as being of less use if it's going to stand with the current lineup alongside it.

I would move one of Danks/Floyd to get this deal done. Obviously only if I had to, but I would not let it be a stopping point.

Reason being--the freaky part about this deal is how it would actually save us money in year 1. We could get back into the FA hunt.

Well actually there are several freaky things about this deal.

Remember that he'll be getting about 20M a year once he enters FA, so you can't go hand out a ton of long-term contracts and than expect to keep Gonzalez around.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
The big thing is, I'd have to think the Sox have what the Pads want, however, the Sox need the Angels to take on Konerko's salary or at least a chunk of it to enable them to make this deal. Or at least that has to be what Kenny has in mind.

The one thing I am struggling with is...isn't this PK's last year of his deal? Why would they trade prospects for a guy that could become a FA next year?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Damn, working from home today on a tight deadline for tonight, and this is what I get? I wish I didn't have the willpower of a 3 year old, I'll probably be refreshing every minute now (even though I know nothing will be magically resolved today).

Kenny does work fast though...

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
What if Beckham was going to the Padres? Would you still pull the trigger?

Not a chance. Him being under team control for the next 6 years and cheap for the next 3 makes him far too valuable, anything else is at play though, the Sox are in desperate need of a sure thing on offense for 2010 if they wish to contend IMO and Adrian is certainly that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Remember that he'll be getting about 20M a year once he enters FA, so you can't go hand out a ton of long-term contracts and than expect to keep Gonzalez around.

It seems like a perfect time to get some aging but effective guys in here for a good two to three years of contention.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)

The Sox have several position players who would debut in 2010 for the Padres, plus a high-level SP prospect in Hudson and some big bullpen power arms (Santos Rodriguez from the left, Nathan Jones from the right) so a deal with the Sox would allow them to put a lot of good talent on the field relatively quickly. That has to be a major consideration.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
The one thing I am struggling with is...isn't this PK's last year of his deal? Why would they trade prospects for a guy that could become a FA next year?

Granted this is all my hopeful thinking here.....but if we're giving the Angels money, they are getting a lot of offense for their buck in Abreu and PK. They are looking to win now.

Bringing in a Mexican-American star like this...only good things for attendance. I'm hispanic and it seems like every latino baseball fan I meet seems to root for the Cubs...

There is no way this would be that easy for the White Sox. Some questions that may come up like Why would the Angels want to pickup Konerko's salary and trade away prospects when they are looking for ways to keep their own guys? The only way they do this is if they lose some salary in the process.

Sox Get:

Gary Matthews Jr.

Adrian Gonzalez

Cash from Angels

Padres Get:

Anahiem Top Prospect

Hudson and Flowers

Anahiem:

Shed Gary Matthews Jr Contract

Paul Konerko

This would mean that we would be gaining about 19 million in salary for this year. We would be shedding Konerko's contract. Plus, the angels throw in about 3 million for the next 2 seasons.

QUOTE (kwill @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
There is no way this would be that easy for the White Sox. Some questions that may come up like Why would the Angels want to pickup Konerko's salary and trade away prospects when they are looking for ways to keep their own guys? The only way they do this is if they lose some salary in the process.

Sox Get:

Gary Matthews Jr.

Adrian Gonzalez

Cash from Angels

Padres Get:

Anahiem Top Prospect

Hudson and Flowers

Anahiem:

Shed Gary Matthews Jr Contract

Paul Konerko

This would mean that we would be gaining about 19 million in salary for this year. We would be shedding Konerko's contract. Plus, the angels throw in about 3 million for the next 2 seasons.

And then we'd trade GMJ to the Cubs for Milton Bradley. :0