Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

• 3 weeks later...

Finally upgraded to X1 from Comcast. The operating system is nice and generally smooth/easy to use, but the ability to stream almost all live TV (including Sox games) to my iPad is the killer feature. Ironically for Comcast, that feature alone is going to allow me to ditch my second box all together, because I've only kept it for live sports in the bedroom. Now I'll just use the streaming service and save $30/month. Less money for Comcast!

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)
Finally upgraded to X1 from Comcast. The operating system is nice and generally smooth/easy to use, but the ability to stream almost all live TV (including Sox games) to my iPad is the killer feature. Ironically for Comcast, that feature alone is going to allow me to ditch my second box all together, because I've only kept it for live sports in the bedroom. Now I'll just use the streaming service and save $30/month. Less money for Comcast!

How much did it cost to upgrade to X1?

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 17, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)

I wish you could stream those live channels outside of your home WiFi network though. THAT would be the real game changer.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
I wish you could stream those live channels outside of your home WiFi network though. THAT would be the real game changer.

You can. I'm in Arizona watching live tv from Illinois on the app.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
How much did it cost to upgrade to X1?

As others said, self-install was free.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)

There are a lot of channels that I can stream out of home. Unfortunately it looks like regional networks and premium sports networks aren't available.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
As others said, self-install was free.

There are a lot of channels that I can stream out of home. Unfortunately it looks like regional networks and premium sports networks aren't available.

Have you looked into a SlingBox? I use it a lot to watch anything that would come through my satellite (DirecTV).

http://www.slingbox.com/Products/Slingplayerapps.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in the electronics field selling components like memory chips, capacitors, micro processors, etc. But I am still struck by how crazy cell phone prices are. Compare a cell phone to a tablet or laptop and pricing just does not make sense. A S7 Edge should not cost double a decent tablet or laptop.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 2, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
My iphone 6 is stuck in the battery drain/heat vortex. Not sure how it got there.

Ditto. Toughin it out until fall. Taking charger with me everywhere.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
I worked in the electronics field selling components like memory chips, capacitors, micro processors, etc. But I am still struck by how crazy cell phone prices are. Compare a cell phone to a tablet or laptop and pricing just does not make sense. A S7 Edge should not cost double a decent tablet or laptop.

Why not? Most people use smartphones a lot more then a tablet or laptop in general. Smartphone does everything a tablet does plus you can call and text people from it and is small so it is portable. Doubles as a MP3 player as well

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
Why not? Most people use smartphones a lot more then a tablet or laptop in general. Smartphone does everything a tablet does plus you can call and text people from it and is small so it is portable. Doubles as a MP3 player as well

The display is smaller, less memory, no dvd player . . . Volumes for cell phones are greater so scale also favors the cell ohone in volume pricing. I don't see why they should cost more to manufacture.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
The display is smaller, less memory, no dvd player . . . Volumes for cell phones are greater so scale also favors the cell ohone in volume pricing. I don't see why they should cost more to manufacture.

Demand.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
Demand.

Demand is also what drove cell phone prices from over a $1000 installed to free with a two year commitment. (Which we know the price of the phone was rolled into the contract). Demand also increases volume and increasing the volume of production drives down the cost.

Margins on cell phones must be unbelievable compared to other electronic devices.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2016 -> 06:04 AM)
Demand is also what drove cell phone prices from over a $1000 installed to free with a two year commitment. (Which we know the price of the phone was rolled into the contract). Demand also increases volume and increasing the volume of production drives down the cost.

Margins on cell phones must be unbelievable compared to other electronic devices.

It's several years old, but the mark-ups on an iPhone 5 were estimated to be about 300%. I'd imagine flagship phones of today (S7, Iphone 6 etc) follow this same path.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsigh...0/#13c8668e252f

Still got nothing on the markups in fashion, though.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 2, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
Ditto. Toughin it out until fall. Taking charger with me everywhere.

Do a restore and it should fix it

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)

DVD player? You are showing your age Tex. It streams video and can hold multiple HD res movies and TV shows. It also packs all of that processing power into a MUCH smaller container which costs money

I was all, "f*** a smartwatch, they're stupid" then I started using S Health like "wow this is really cool..." so I went out and got a Gear S2. Had it for 2 weeks, then lost it in the parking lot of my martial arts school. Still owe half the money on it. f***.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
Do a restore and it should fix it

DVD player? You are showing your age Tex. It streams video and can hold multiple HD res movies and TV shows. It also packs all of that processing power into a MUCH smaller container which costs money

Just pointing out additional costly items that are included. A laptop streams movies and can hold multiple HD res movies and TV shows, plus play them back on larger (more costly) displays.

I've been meaning to call one of my old buddies from my components days to see what processors are selling for nowadays. But unless something has dramatically changed the margins on cell phones are 5x other consumer electronics.

SS2k5 hit the nail on the head. Demand. People will shell out $800 for a new cell phone. Watch demand slip and prices will fall in a hurry. The costs aren't hundreds of dollars more to build a cell phone. Shipping costs are less.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Just pointing out additional costly items that are included. A laptop streams movies and can hold multiple HD res movies and TV shows, plus play them back on larger (more costly) displays.

I've been meaning to call one of my old buddies from my components days to see what processors are selling for nowadays. But unless something has dramatically changed the margins on cell phones are 5x other consumer electronics.

SS2k5 hit the nail on the head. Demand. People will shell out $800 for a new cell phone. Watch demand slip and prices will fall in a hurry. The costs aren't hundreds of dollars more to build a cell phone. Shipping costs are less.

A dvd player is like 20 dollars and is made for much less. People also use and depend on their cell phone alot more than a laptop or personal computer. Thats why the demand is so high.

How much is a flagship-level laptop though? A MacBook starts at double the price of an iPhone. A bargin-bin laptop is comparable in cost to a bargin-bin smartphone.

Think about it. People pay more for a 20 oz coke, than they do for a 2 liter of coke, where there is literally no reason at all for that to happen.